Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is why I'm glad in the US I can get a unmetered 25mbit up/down fiber line for under $100/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

We don't have UBB for our sewer, do we?

We in the US technically do. It's based on your water bill, and rolled into it though.

Something like 35-40% is water, 35-40% is sewer and the remainder is trash pick up. Trash is the only fixed cost of them, but its all a single bill from the water company.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Still wondering how you people can accept anything less than unlimited when it comes to data. Saturday my new house gets it's FiOS install, giving me 25/25 mbit with no data cap. No static unfortunately without paying another $60+/mo but thats what automatic updaters for DNS records are for. Granted I won't be hosting peoples poo poo on that line, but its good enough for personal services (including email with a mail relay service)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MA-Horus posted:

Sta...tic IP Address? With Canadian telcos? What a preposterous idea! Next you'll be demanding that they upgrade their equipment in high-density area to provide usable service!

Your right, I do demand they upgrade the equipment to keep up with the subscriber base. Why? because thats what they do if they don't want people leaving by the hundreds. Around here, I can get FiOS, brighthouse docsis 3, Knology docsis 1 (for dirt cheap), adsl 2+ and even PDSL, or a true fiber circuit from a dozen backbone providers. Setting quotas here would be suicide, and would be pretty much them forcing themselves out of the market.

No one here would consider caps to be reasonable. Not with level3 and Microsoft both having data centers here making the fiber infrastructure to the city terrific. There are 16 data centers I know of here, with more that pop up each year. So yes, I do expect better.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Parachute Underwear posted:

Haha, christ. How you could string those two paragraphs together and not realize what you're actually saying? You have options because you have all the infrastructure set up. We lack the infrastructure and thus the options. Our telcos are perfectly fine with this and what are you going to do? You either pick one and get hosed or pick the other and get hosed.

Thats why you (as a country) need to start demanding that the ISP's actually setup your social resources to be more in line with a first world country. Australia too, because both of those countries are backwards when it comes to the Internet and make Chinese Internet service look good. At the rate your ISP's are dicking you, we can expect North Korea to have Internet to more homes at a faster rate by the end of 2015.

Edit: where I'm at isn't flawless, but they do make the effort to stay ahead of the times here at least. Go back 8 years before verizon did the FiOS test network here and the infrastructure was nonexistent and it was a shithole technology wise. All it takes is one saying "we can do better for our customers"

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liberty_MI posted:

I have to laugh that my july bill would go from a typical $48 to $1300 if this was a rogers plan.

yay.

Yeah, if I was restricted like the Canadians, I'd be paying probably close to 2k in bandwith bills. For me to queue up a TB to download in a night is common.