Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/spacex-high-speed-internet-1.5618918

CBC posted:

Elon Musk's SpaceX has applied to offer high-speed internet to Canadians living in remote areas by beaming it to them via satellites.

Oh man I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics that the big three are going to spout to try and convince us that this is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I was looking at switching back to shaw for the shaw hotspots that are practically everywhere.

I've been with Telus for 5 years, so maybe I'll just call them to see if they can lower my rate. I'm paying like $250/month for a load of poo poo my family doesn't even use (granted, we go way over the monthly data our package has each month). I fully admit my ignorance of how to haggle with providers for better rates.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Starlink will save us!

*swarm of garbage envelops our lower atmosphere, preventing us from ever escaping*

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Lobok posted:

Mind your language, citizen. Those older satellites are not "garbage" but future resources to be harvested by the Musk-Bezos-Yutani Corp. Fifty Likes have been deducted from your chequing account.

The Gunslinger posted:

I think the bigger risk is just collisions between satellites, most of them are low orbit and will burn up on failure. They have thrusters to avoid collisions but obviously the complexity of that scales the more that are launched and there's very little regulation right now.

Actually I was referring to this from the Space forum.

Debris in Low-Earth Orbit is now considered Earth's largest garbage dump. There's really no regulation over it, and it's becoming a problem now. But hey, at least we'd have an alternative to Canadian telecom!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Edmonton is not a world-class metropolis, but it’s not that bad unless you’re complaining about the cold in which case you will not be happy here.

Honestly I feel the same about Winnipeg. Sure, it gets drat cold and the scenery is terrible, but I had the best cost-of-living and job security there. If I could move back, I would.