Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ughhhh, I'm getting interviewed for a CBC piece on the UBB issue. Anyone have any soundbites that wouldn't make me sound like an idiot on :siren:National Television:siren:.... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Godinster posted:

What's your involvement with it? Very cool either way.

Emphasize on the fact that it costs a fraction of a penny to provide bandwidth and that Canadian costs to provide are actually less than American counterparts, despite our market being far less saturated. Also the fact that major telecom companies in Canada already have the highest profit margins in Canada and the fact that the UBB is conveniently coming out as Netflix gains in popularity, lowering the likelihood people are going to use Shaw or Bell or Rogers on demand, especially when the price of one movie is often the same as an entire month of Netflix.

There's a million points to be made, none of which benefit UBB.

I'm one of the starters of the facebook protest group, this has kind of blown up moreso than I expected but I'm excited, regardless :)

This is all good stuff that I already knew but reading it is going to reinforce it in my mind so thank you.

teethgrinder posted:

You should make it clear that they greatly exaggerated their costs, and this policy would have given Canada the most expensive internet access in the entire world. Anyone have the recent numbers/charts handy?

You could repeat that image too just explaining that it would now be cheaper and faster to courier hard drives around the country.

This is really good too!

Part of what I'm worried about is that my job involves transferring multi-gigabyte files and I don't want to sound like "That Guy Who Uses All The Bandwidth" versus Average Joe.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Gunslinger posted:

Personally I'd mention the fact that these providers are using caps to stifle innovation and competition with their products. The CTV example is a recent hot button issue you can refer to. VOD is another one. In most cases its consumers seeking a superior product and instead of trying to legitimately compete the companies are trying to force you to use their more expensive, less desirable options. This might be fine if the CRTC would fulfill its mandate and protect the public from natural monopolistic practices but instead something like UBB just gives them a legalized method of stamping out competition.

Avoid the bandwidth hog thing, it has nothing to do with bandwidth hogs and any time its brought up is a negative because people will often choose the simplest ideas to relate to if they don't understand the topic material.

Sorry can you clarify the CTV part? And you are right about the bandwidth hog thing, it detracts from the issue every time.