Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is there anyone who seems like they'll be maintaining reasonable caps? I'm stuck with primus until I move (Only here till the end of april, and I don't want to bother getting a new connection for feb/march/april). I'll probably wind up in the Toronto area. I'm guessing tekksavvy is the only choice?

Heh. Knowing this was coming, I've used ~500gb of data this month. X_X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is there any way to switch away from bell and maintain the @sympatico email address? My parents would love to switch, but my mom is consulting and uses the @sympatico email address for work, which is currently preventing them from switching.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Canadians use more online video than anyone else? Hahahahahaha yeah right.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

In the same situation, and I haven't been able to find anything concrete on how long the sympatico email will hang around for. If you get a concrete answer on that from anywhere, could you post it here?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

univbee posted:

This info is from a few years ago, but in order to maintain your Sympatico email address you had to maintain ANY Sympatico subscription. Their cheapest is dial-up, which at the time was $12/month.

Yup, just got off the phone with bell. It'll last 2-3 days after your cancellation goes through, and their dialup is the same price as the cheapest dsl option... :psyduck:

Ugh.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

Finally got my Teksavvy cable installed and goddamn is it ever fast compared to the 5meg DSL service. My house didn't have cable at all and true to Teksavvy's word the Rogers installer did run an entirely new cable from the box and installed a drop in my basement.

Speedboost is at play here in this speedtest; most of the time I'm getting a solid 15/1Mbit:

:stare:

Here's hoping they expand to Brockville. Currently waiting on their DSL install, but when cable becomes available...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well my teksavvy install has not gone off without a hitch, but its bells fault anyway. They were suposed to do my install on Monday for dry loop, and they just... Never showed up. I went outside and found the box for my line, and verified the wiring coming into the house. I would have plugged the dsl modem in out there to test it there, but this must be an old box as there wasn't a spot to plug in a line.

Anyways, teksavvy rescheduled for Saturday, which sucks but their hands are tied. Hopefully I'll have Internet on more than just my phone soon :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have a netgear 3700, and its peen pretty easy to use, all things considered. I don't know what speeds are like, can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of test program? I'd love to have something to benchmark it with.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So bell is coming tomorrow to set up dryloop, want to place bets on if they actually show up this time? XD

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

So bell is coming tomorrow to set up dryloop, want to place bets on if they actually show up this time? XD

And again, they don't show. For fucks sake.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ha! I suspect someone at teksavvy was very unkind to someone at bell, after it turns out they were dispatching service techs to the wrong city, despite the correct address! Got home from work today to service! Though my line speed has been set to 3M/800k, so I'll have to make another call. But that can wait.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Twiin posted:

Right, I get that. But it's not like we spent a half-hour trying things and then he said "well, I guess we need to disconnect the router". He just flat out refused to do any troubleshooting.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't fix-Twiin's-internet day on SA or anything. My point is just that the customer service I've received from TekSavvy has been total garbage. Rogers has bent over backwards with daily phone calls from supervisors to fix and troubleshoot connectivity issues for me in the past (with my router connected, I'll add), and I naively expected things to get better, not worse, when I switched.

You realize that the router is often an issue with speeds on home networks, and that by attempting to diagnose without eliminating it (which, for 99% of people is super easy - just plug in your laptop directly into the modem, you are the anomaly with a huge full tower) could very easily wind up being a huge waste of everyone's time? Also, how far away are your router and modem such that there's no way you could connect the PC --> modem?

And maybe rogers has bent over backwards for you. But you need to understand, you're about the only person I've EVER heard of who's had a good experience with rogers. Everyone I know who's dealt with them absolutely hated the experience, myself included. Dealing with teksavvy is a dream by comparison for the large majority of people. Honestly, you kinda come off as an rear end in a top hat about the whole situation.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Rand McNally posted:

I hate you all.

I hate you.

Wish they could resell cogeco here. :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you on Cable or DSL?

DSL, and its the best they can do with my line strength. Apparently the signal just really sucks. Cogeco is the only option for cable internet in the area :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So bell managed to gently caress something up with my parents service.

They're with teksavvy, on the 6/800 plan. I'm home visiting, and notice speeds are poo poo. Speedtest? 1/400 at best. Check the modem... somehow, the line is set at 1184kbps down, 640kbps up. It definitely used to be set correctly...

Called teksavvy, and they're submitting a ticket to bell. Apparently teksavvy can't even map the service correctly right now for some reason. Other line stats:

Available: ~10000kbps down / 1184 up (don't remember the exact down, just that it was 10mbit)
SNR: 14.4 down / 21 up
Attenuation: 9 down / 3 up.

All of which point to the 6mb service being fine. Oh, and if bell determines the problem isn't with their lines, they're going to charge us $87.50! Oh bell... :allears:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

eXXon posted:

I switched to Start earlier this month, mostly because they had the best reviews of any ISP and didn't require a contract for a monthly discount like Acanac does. It got activated within a week as promised and haven't had any issues since.

I'm not thrilled that the service was advertised at 16/0.5 Mbit when I signed up and now they're 25/2. I guess I'll call and see if they'll bump it up.

How have they been for setup & customer service etc? I'm with Teksavvy, but it looks like Start is actually re-selling cogeco cable in my area, where as Teksavvy is not. My current DSL connection maxes out at 3Mbit/800kbit because the lines are so old, and I'd like to get out of the stone age.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tedgewick posted:

Completely wrong. Its already semi-unbundled in a Quebec IPTV service with a lovely name I've forgotten. Cable cutting is accelerating rapidly in my admittedly small sample group, I only have one friend left that may or may not have cable. Everyone else loving hates it and is slapping together any AppleTV, hulu proxy, slingbox, Netflix and loaded USB drive solution they can. And these are 50 and 60 year olds, everyone I know thats 30 and under never had cable TV to cut in the first place after leaving university.

Yeah. The only reason I actually have TV is because I don't want to gently caress around with online streams to watch TV, plus my current internet connection really isn't fast enough to stream stuff in HD.

Maybe if I switch to start my connection will be fast enough for NHL gamecenter.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well Start is wonderful - called me to confirm everything was working, and it's faster than anything I've had before. Paying for 30/2 with a 200gb cap, and:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Shofixti posted:

Any suggestions on ISPs in Kingston near Queen's? I know areas have their own idiosyncrasies. In my part of Hamilton, cable was basically unusable years ago so DSL was the way to go. Now it's reversed - cable infrastructure upgraded and it's amazing while DSL is awful.

Should I go with Start, TSI DSL or TSI Cable? I don't want to get involved with Bell, Rogers & friends if possible.

If you're in the ghetto I know the main DSL node? Routing thing? Connection point? Is right on princess between university and division and most of the wiring is new. When I was there I was with teksavvy and always got the advertised 5MB, usually closer to 7. I don't have any experience with cable in the area, but I'm on Start 30/2 in Brockville (about 45 minutes east of Kingston) and have nothing but good to say. It's cogeco cable in Kingston, and start didn't exist when I was at queens, so I didn't really have a cable option there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Looks like I've lost access to US netflix, both through unblock-us and hola. I'm going to try a few other work arounds and give it till the end of the month, but if there's no easy way around it by then I'll just cancel my subscription and go back to torrenting. I pay for netflix because it's convenient and easy access to the content I'd like to watch, if they take that away why bother? Frustrating because I'm in the middle of about 5 TV shows that aren't available on Canadian netflix.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

37th Chamber posted:

Are you getting an error, or is it just showing the Canadian library? If it's the latter, it might just be a configuration error.

Because it seems if you're hit by the new witch hunt, they make sure to tell you:

Showing the Canadian library. I reset everything (router, computer, modem, reinstalled plugins) and it's back to working.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My start.ca plan went from 30/10 to 40/10 and from a 300gb cap to unlimited. No cost change, just 50/month. Start is by and far the best in my area.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I'm looking at moving to a somewhat more rural location, and am trying to figure out my options for internet. Bell & Teksavvy indicate 50mb DSL is available, however I'm concerned that I won't see speeds anywhere near that amount given the location of the property. Is there any way to verify what speed would be available without having a tech come out to check?

Cable is unfortunately not available.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Not unless there's already active service on that line. DSL is 100% dependant on line conditions so the best you'll get without testing it directly is whatever the providers' service db says is available.

Yeesh, that sucks. Place was built in the mid 80's and I doubt the phone line has been updated at all since then. Time to see if I can figure out what service the current owner has.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

House hunting in rural Ontario I've had good luck with a few things:

- If there's cable, there is likely cable internet
- If there's phone and it's the skinny brown posts on the yards, likely no internet
- If you see the larger cabinets and/or the light teal plastic posts then you might be able to get DSL
- More often than you'd think a rural provider may have run fibre, it's worth a look

No cable, unfortunately. It's these kind of posts:

So I'm thinking that I'm out of luck.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I meant the utility posts on the lawn, like those brown skinny boxes. Given that picture though I'm guessing you're SOL. What part of Canada is this?

South of Ottawa, kinda close to the rideau Carlton raceway.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My only internet options are satellite based, cellular, or bell fibre.

Needless to say, I'm giving bell money every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Going from bell fibe 500 to the 1.5gb package at 25$/month cheaper, hell yeah. I only had to argue with bell retentions for 40 minutes to stop trying to bundle poo poo, I only want internet. And then get them to escalate to someone with some kind of authority to authorize the deal for an existing customer, because the advertised deal was only for new clients.

I have nothing with an ethernet port above 1gbps, but hey, less money than I was paying. Looking forward to another hour or so on the phone in 2 years when the credit drops off to fight for whatever the current offer is.