Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Teksavvy Cable reports as available for my downtown Waterloo postal code now. I'm debating if it's worth switching now that Bell's trying to lay low. Anyone able to comment on the performance difference of Teksavvy's ml-pppoe DSL vs Cable in Waterloo?

If you have DSL now and it's going around its advertised speed, then you'll probably get the same with TekSavvy. BTW, another decent option in Waterloo is EyeSurf. They have a 10Mbps unlimited bandwidth + phone including Canadian long distance for $50/month. Also, they'll remain unlimited for the foreseeable future since they're not reselling Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Definitely giving them a call in the morning. $50+tax/month is a lot less than $50/month to Teksavvy plus $24/month to Bell. It looks like with EyeSurf I'd have a use other than checking battery levels for that LCD on my phone too!

Let me know how it goes :)

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

HorusTheAvenger posted:

I called them tonight. I got a bit scared off with it sounding like an Indian call center. When I asked if they offered any options to get a static IP she had no clue what I was talking about. From what I read on DSL reports and Redflag Deals forums they are hit or miss on the support side, more on the miss.

That's too bad, I've only ever spoken to a guy who sounded like he ran the whole business. Maybe it's better during the day?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Eamonn posted:

do you consider 800kilobytes/s down and 120kB/s up sufficient? that's enough to stream 720p for sure, and gaming quality is more latency related

currently I have that, unlimited at a good price, but I'm wondering if these fibe/25/50/75 really change how you use the internet. basically, as far as i can see, anything i would want to do can be done with what I have, and I can't think of anything that would be useful @ 75mb that isn't a server.
6.4 down/1 up with no bandwidth caps is pretty good imo. Recall that if you go for those faster speeds, they'll come with caps, and so their immediate advantage over your current setup (downloading large files quickly) will be limited. Basically, I can't imagine it being worth the "upgrade".

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm not certain if it is set up for DSL service, when I asked the apartment manager about it she seemed uncertain as to what it was.

You can probably get DSL in your apartment complex. Depending on the quality of the wiring (and possibly how high up you are), you're speeds may not be that great though.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I've been trying to listen to the CRTC stream for the past few days on my mac, but every time I try, it tells me I have to relaunch firefox in 32-bit mode, and then firefox crashes horribly until I stop trying to open it... does anyone have any suggestions for how I could listen to it?

I can't figure out how to get it to stream in VLC, either. :(

Go to VLC click open network and paste mms://STREAMER.crtc.gc.ca/stream1-english in.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the wireless modems Bell is using for its Fibe service? My grandmother recently switched over to take advantage of some bundle deal and the speed of her connection seemed to be all over the place. She didn't have any problems with the old wireless G router she'd had before, but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

The new modems should, for the most part, be much better. That said, many modem/router combinations still suck. Furthermore, wireless networking is a total crapshoot and so there could be so many things going wrong now (including the possibility of a bad piece of hardware).

If she connects wirelessly, then one of the possibilities is that the new wireless setup is on a different channel that is more congested. But before fiddling with that, I would check the speeds you get when plugging straight in to the modem/router.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:eng101: Most modern routers have no external antennae.

The plural of antenna depends on what definition you are using. The correct term here would be antennas. Antennae are what insects have. :eng101:

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

The Dark One posted:

It's the middle one. I have to use its built-in wifi because I can't snake cable across hallways or run them through the walls. It's just really bad at its job. My computer is only about 25 feet away, but the connection is flaky to the point where I'll just get dropped and have to cycle the thing's power to be able to connect to it again.

The modem is probably fine, but the router part sucks. You can pick up your own wireless router and use that to get better connectivity (you will have to switch your modem to bridged mode which may be a non-trivial process). See the Home Networking Megathread for more details.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Brace posted:

What is going on with my internet? When I signed up for teksavvy I was getting speeds much faster than my rogers, but now I'm downloading at 340 kb/s, youtube is having trouble loading, and netflix is pretty much unbearable to watch. (Nothing has changed as far as my knowledge goes from that point to this one)

I was going to post advice about changing your DNS settings, but you were already given that advice in this thread. Did you try changing them?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I looked over the billing for last month and discovered that Bell has charged us $80 of "utilisation fees" on top of the regular $45 internet fee. I have 100 GB (or supposed to) and there is no way in hell that I've downloaded that much and even if I did, gently caress you Bell.

Is there any way to over-turn this ridiculously bullshit fee?

And gently caress this. gently caress you Rogers and gently caress you Lemay Yates. gently caress everything.

Call them up and investigate.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I am convinced that there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them over-turn that decision. I already hear the "you have paid money a specific service and now you must pay an additional fee for additional use" pre-written line in my head.

They make billing errors like this all the time. You should be able to check your usage for previous months with them too (I think they have a tool to do this online). If what you're saying is correct your internet usage likely went up by over 50% and I imagine you would be aware of that sort of thing.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

We've had essentially nothing but good things to say about Teksavvy here in Waterloo. I get the rated+ speeds for probably 29/30 days in the month. Super pleased.

I would like to complain about this snow removal I hear about, though. I think it's a fable.

The only thing the city puts any money into is mowing grass and, apparently, picking up leaves from the side of the road.

To keep this on topic, my DSL connection is terrible, and switching providers didn't help at all (to be fair I switched because we kept getting outages). Every time I visit my parent's house I'm annoyed that they have a better connection than me since it makes almost no difference to them.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Guigui posted:

Wondering if I can get some sage advice from the super-intelligent Canadian goons...

If you're happy with VoIP, I'd go with cable and get one of the TekTalk plans (http://teksavvy.com/en/res-homephone.asp). This avoids re-connection issues, and you'll get much better speeds on that cable plan (unless you're next to the Bell CO and you're currently not getting close to advertised speeds on cable).

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

Anyone know about any decent cable providers in the Kingston area? All I know of are Cogeco and Bell, and both of them are terrible.

Your post is very confusing since you mention both cable and Bell. Are you talking about TV or internet? Does it need to be cable or does satellite/DSL work too?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

Internet, preferably cable. I thought Bell was a cable provider but I looked it up and apparently they use fibre optic? The site I used to look up providers is way out of date, it listed them as Bell Sympatico. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure your only cable options are Cogeco and Start Communications. If you're willing to go with DSL, then check out TekSavvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

When they called to ask why, they were told they couldn't get the higher cap until they pay Rogers for a new modem and wait for a support person to come install it, because their current modem "runs out of bits after 60GB and can't support the higher cap" :suicide:

That's amazing. Although, it suggests that there are people out there (including Roger's employees) who don't understand that bandwidth caps are completely made up :sigh: