Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

krooj posted:

loving hell - I've gone with a local DSL provider in Kitchener for almost two years now, and their speeds are poo poo. I get no more than 3Mbit down, which is useless when you have two VPN connections, plus Netflix. I even let them setup bonded DSL for me, but the second line does nothing. I just cancelled service and decided to go back to cable, but found out that Teksavvy isn't bringing on more customers in Kitchener-Waterloo. Looks like I'm back with Rogers ... :ughh:

I was with Teksavvy for a while in the KW area and ended up moving back to Rogers because in the evenings it was like having dialup again. It made me pretty sad too. I didn't go for DSL because no way am I going back to 5Mbit or less in the year 2012. (Bell's 16 or 25 service is, last time I checked, not available here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

mr.belowaverage posted:

Has anyone used Acanac here in town? Apparently they have cable in my area. It'd be really nice to find something my synchronous than Rogers' connection. And less throttling.

One friend of mine who lives in Waterloo swears by Acanac DSL. I think he mostly likes the price and unlimited usage. Another friend of mine was going to get Acanac cable set up in Kitchener but he got impatient waiting for them. He called Rogers who had him set up within a day or two, so unfortunately I have no idea what the actual service is like. For what it's worth Rogers did announce they'll be getting rid of throttling by the end of the year, but that could mean anytime between March and December.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Anyone have any problems with Novus? I haven't been able to find anything negative on them through google or what's left of broadband reports. I'm moving to a building that has their service as an option and it seems pretty awesome in comparison to what I get right now from Rogers.
http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I really don't like the wording on the opt-out page. The options for opting out are "Relevant targeted ads" or "Unfiltered random ads".

They'll still collect your data either way. It seems they've been doing that for a while already.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The double NAT might cause issues with UPnP, no?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Also if you live in a building that has it, Novus is pretty awesome, although they've had UBB for years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The ISP now also must divulge your personal information if there's a lawsuit. From the blurb I read it doesn't seem like they have to prove anything, just that they have to file a suit.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I dunno, the new Rogers plan is 250/20 with unlimited usage and $95 a month after the first three months. Maybe It sucks by international standards but that seems pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

So in moderately interesting news Telus are starting a slow rollout of IPv6 and say it should be complete in early 2016. (This according to their own forums)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

37th Chamber posted:

IPv6 support on their end is only half the battle, support for it on consumer hardware is all over the place.

They provide routers to their users who for the most part just use them except for a few that set up bridging. I'd expect it to be relatively stable because they'll know if their routers start crashing constantly. (I hope)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus are going to bring fiber to most of Vancouver over the next five years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think this is a pretty clear example of when capitalism is broken and the government needs to step in to prevent most of its citizens from being fleeced.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

FreeBSD IPv6 vulnerability. I'll enable IPv6 when I actually need it for something and it's been well tested. The very minor performance benefits are not worth the risk IMO.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I had a Telus rep come to my door and say the reason they can only offer 150Mb service on fiber right now is due to CRTC restrictions. I didn't really want to keep talking for a while so I didn't say anything but that was pretty funny.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

priznat posted:

What's the new modem Telus is switchin people to, is it another Actiontec? Is it possible to get it into bridge mode? I lost the capability now VPN to/from my router (R7000) does not work, I discovered.

Had managed to fiddle it into bridge mode on my V1000.

E: hopefully this works: http://npopson.com/archives/2202

In Vancouver they now install an Alcatel Lucent fiber box and plug an actiontec T1200 in to that. You can just plug your R7000 straight into the Alcatel Lucent box, or if you're not on fiber you can bridge the T1200 or T2200 easily from the advanced config menu.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hungry Computer posted:

A while back my grandparents let in a Telus sales rep in while I was at their place fixing their computer. He tried to convince us we weren't getting the full speed from Shaw by running speedtest.net on his phone, which was connected to Telus 4G and not my grandparent's WiFi. When I called him out on that he claimed it didn't matter because of how close his phone is to the Shaw modem. If I wasn't there my granparents might've fallen for it.

I had a Telus rep come to my door and tell me that Telus can't offer more than 150Mbps over fiber because the CRTC won't let them.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just use a better wifi system than the ISP provides and I'd suggest doing something like that. That said, running Ethernet is pretty cheap/easy. The hard part is patching up the walls afterward. The cost is going to highly depend on how the house is arranged. If you can run things inside the attic or basement it might be pretty cheap. If you have to punch holes in every stud to get across long rooms that's far more painful.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I've had great experiences with Telus techs over the past few years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I suspect Bell won't be super happy when we negotiate easier access to our market for American telecoms.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

AegisP posted:

Quick, someone get Mexico and the US to include demands that Canada break up its unfair telecom oligopoly.

I heard the US has already made noises about this.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s also possible they’d like to aim to provide more online/text only service in which case why pay Canadian salaries?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Rogers is gonna buy out Shaw within two years.

I’m not sure the government would allow that.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Now I think it’s what’s best for Canadians.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Most things today work fine on ipv6. Contact the app vendor. It shouldn’t fail just because you happen to have an ipv6 address. Telus have had it on for years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

zergstain posted:

Is this only true for direct Telus customers and not those that use the Telus network like Public Mobile or Koodo? I'm on PM and my iPhone doesn't get a v6 address.

Sorry I meant Telus home internet. They haven’t yet deployed it on their mobile networks as far as I’m aware.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

So are we supposed to tip or?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shaw have a puma7 now, but if cost is irrelevant then Telus have far better upload speeds if you can get fibre. Either way there will be a cable running to the apartment so I’m not sure why the landlord will care which you choose?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Start a campaign to nationalize our communications infrastructure.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

TekSavvy and the other resellers simply don’t offer the same quality of service. If you’re willing to deal with various aspects of that so you can pay less, great. I’m not.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

EoRaptor posted:

These speedtests tend to be 'rigged' in that the server you hit by default is inside the ISP. Selecting one outside the ISP and the results will be much less consistent.

As long as a significant amount of your bandwidth is coming from CDNs inside the ISP network it’s probably reasonably accurate. Would be interesting to have a wider set of tests that goes to multiple sites/clouds.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

less than three posted:

It's not Internet but tangentially related, with everyone suddenly working from home we're getting slammed with people getting 'all circuits are busy' when trying to use cell phones. Webex also crapping out due to overcapacity.

I’ve had this issue too. I can usually get through after a few minutes, but around the top of the hour I guess there are so many calls being established the system can’t keep up.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m paying $110/month (with tax) for the privilege, but their gigabit fibre is also very good.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Works for me

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Dunno what’s happening now but when I renewed a little over a year ago they weren’t making any deals at all apart from what was on the website, even through retentions. Probably had something to do with the lack of techs being sent into homes at the time.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Given Rogers and Shaw territory doesn’t overlap for cable services I fail to see how it would result in decreased competition. If anything I think them merging their cable internet business might help them better compete with the Bell and Telus fiber businesses in the long run by being a bigger player and letting them get better deals on DOCSIS 4. (I’m assuming the wireless business is sold off, and I’m also not terribly well informed on this so please do correct me if I’m wrong.)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus fiber is amazing. As long as you’re willing to sign a two year contract it’s also cheaper than Shaw or Teksavvy. (Edit: as long as you’re after 500mbps or more. They don’t offer anything like a cheap 6mbps plan for $35.)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What does Telus represent? Western alienation?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

shadow puppet of a posted:

I see this on my Fido.ca offers page, I only have cable internet with them, but if you need to escape public mobile to use your apple watch

I think you can only use a cellular watch on Rogers/Bell/Telus and not on any of the subsidiaries.

Edit: there’s also a cellular thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492258

Evis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2022

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus (not Shaw because as far as I know they’re 100% docsis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

priznat posted:

Telus is putting fibre in my area (I see the trucks out and about and new wires going up on poles) but I think my Shaw contract goes until 2024, dammit why did I do a contract :negative:

Just in time for Rogers to take over and make it even shittier

In my experience it took a long time before the Telus fibre was lit up and ready to use. I think it was many months, if not a year before they were ready.