Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hopefully the CBC or someone will pick up the story when Grandma Jones gets her first $500+ Shaw bill for having an unsecured wifi network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The story about the girl out of Montreal was a start, but a few more stories about Grandma Joe and her $2000 internet bill due to unsecured wireless will hopefully start to grab people's attention. Or better yet, a Conservative or Liberal MP getting an absurdly high bill.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Gunslinger posted:

I did tell him that it was one of the few things that make me feel ashamed to be a Conservative(I love most of the platform though not always its execution) if we let it stand and that seemed to hit home though.

Maybe you can teach some of us how to talk to a Conservative then, my MP still believes man lived with dinosaurs like on the Flintstones. (Stockwell Day :sigh:) Trying to convince myself a letter isn't completely futile. I guess go heavy on the "stifles innovation/bad for small business" stuff to start?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Suniikaa posted:

Friend who is a CSR at Telus sent me a txt this morning. They got a work email stating that Telus will not be changing their bandwidth policy. If this is true, yay.

I'm surprised nobody has decided to get out ahead of this now that the winds seem to be changing. The first major ISP to bail and offer an unlimited plan even at a 25% markup from the old prices would probably get a boatload of customers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

I'm (rather naievely) disturbed that we have people regulating the internet in Canada with less of an understanding of computers than the average highschool teenager. :psyduck:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So what happens from here? A sixty day wait while companies like Teksavvy/other small ISPs are hemorrhaging customers can't be an acceptable response. It gives the Conservatives political cover to throw their hands up in the air and say they tried.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

Well Bell/Rogailures, looks like the West is safe for now!

Time to celebrate with a Playstation Network download spree. Victory tastes so sweet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Godinster posted:

Seems like Telus is in the same boat, they're not doing anything at all about this and haven't made a few pages on their website trying to defend it like Rogers has.

The ISPs must still think this is going to go their way, or it seems obvious someone like Telus would move in and make a play for a bunch of angry Bell/Shaw customers. Offer a flat fee unlimited use plan at an inflated price to lock a bunch of people into contracts, then when the CRTC strikes down the UBB ruling they have to stay or pay a huge fee to go to Teksavvy/etc.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
His replacement has an interesting Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Paradis

This is not good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shaw Cable posted:

Effective January 1, 2015, Shaw is increasing regular monthly rates on all Internet plans to support continued investment in building and supporting the Internet experience you need now and in the future.

Welp. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

slidebite posted:

Well, supposedly Netflix is going to start enforcing regions and block VPNs.

Welp, that's annoying. Hopefully not too difficult to circumvent.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Aphrodite posted:

In similar news, CraveTV went live for everyone last night I guess.

Using CraveTV or Showmi is kinda like buying blood diamonds. Probably better off with more ethical alternatives to supporting the cartel like :filez: or shady streaming sites.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm not surprised, it's been at least 15-20 minutes since Shaw raised my home internet rates.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Just hide the bricks of cocaine under the sofa.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Take the cash you were spending on the VPN and toss it towards Shomi or Crave if you need even more.

Never give those assholes money for Shomi or Crave.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If you've got an Apple TV and an American iTunes account you could get a month of HBO Now and binge all their shows. (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire) I think I heard something about other devices getting HBO Now soon if you don't have an Apple TV box.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

37th Chamber posted:

Only the HBO back catalog is available on Crave, nothing currently airing (http://www.cravetv.ca/list/607) vs HBO Now that has relatively all their titles, new and old.

Plus if you pay for Crave you're giving Bell money encouraging them to make the problem worse. Never give anyone money for Crave or Shomi.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
What VPN are people using now? I want something so I can sub to CBS All Access for the upcoming Big Brother season and wouldn't mind US Netflix again as a bonus. UnblockUS seems to be out for Netflix, and while I liked Private Internet Access it doesn't play well with my Apple TV box/smart TV. I guess I could get PIA and airplay everything if I had to.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have taken to telling ISPs to pound sand when they call me to "offer special prices". In fact, when they call me at all.

A couple years ago Shaw would call and offer me the same internet package, cable, and home phone (which I'd leave unplugged in the corner) for $5 less a month than I was paying for internet for six months. I'd keep it for six months then go back to straight internet. Within a couple weeks they'd call and offer the same deal. Ended up having cable on and off for almost two years like that.

About a year ago it switched to cable for an extra $20 so I haven't bothered since. Cable isn't really worth anything to be, but $5 off my internet service plus the backup option of cable wasn't bad I guess.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Shaw released their 2019 student rates and... they’re poo poo!

$60/month for Internet 100
$80/month for Internet 300

So basically the same lousy deals they offered everyone who’s student plan expired in April because they changed student rates to nine month terms.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Is TekSavvy still a good option if I’m fed up with Shaw in BC?

Been trying to get a Shaw supervisor to call me back for 27 days now. I’m up to eleven calls totalling over five hours on the phone plus a half hour of web chat and still no callback. Rapidly reaching the point of being fed up enough to just drop the modem off at the local office and tell them to cancel my services.

Telus seems to be as bad or worse according to colleagues at work/etc. Prices look outrageous and they’re all multi-year contracts too.

Internet access in Canada is the loving worst. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nitr0 posted:

If you're annoyed over billing or whatever then Teksavvy would be fine.

Yep, it’s billing. They doubled my bill in April, stopped sending me paper bills, and switched my account to eBill without notification or permission. Oh and the email they switched it to is the Shaw.ca email I’ve been telling them for five years I do not use.

Had a rather unpleasant surprise when I logged into my account end of July after paying my normal bill for the last four months. Been trying to get ahold of a supervisor to address the issue for 27 days. I’m up to my fifth promise of “a call back within 24-48 hours”.

So I’m suddenly a lot more interested in TekSavvy’s offerings. The Shaw network is fantastic, it’s just their godawful customer service and scammy predatory contract plans that are driving me off.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kazinsal posted:

Finally got Shaw support to just mail me a new modem. 2-5 business days, they say.

I look forward to getting a modem in two weeks.

A promise of a callback in 24-48 hours took them 29 days to get back to me.

I wouldn’t expect that modem till 2021.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
TekSavvy has a petition up to lobby the CRTC to enforce their prior ruling around the big 3 gouging independent ISPs for access. It’s a form to fill out and it auto emails your MP basically saying WTF.

Intarwebs are too drat expensive in this country.

https://blogs.teksavvy.com/hey-crtc-start-2021-off-right-with-more-affordable-internet

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

priznat posted:

Signed, glad to pester the parachute CPC candidate I didn't vote for in my riding but doubt she'll do SFA.

Yeah mine just went into the spam filter of a CPC MP too. Still worth the few seconds it took.

It would be pretty hilarious if the CPC tried to use inflated internet prices as a cudgel against the Libs given how bad both parties have been on the issue. Last time they tried we got Harper in his favourite Christmas sweater talking about how much he likes to watch all his shows on The Netflix.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I really need to work up the give-a-gently caress to switch to TekSavvy or something.

But I’m stressed to the max working in unsafe conditions during a pandemic so Shaw gets their $100 each month just because I’m constantly overwhelmed. TekSavvy is still $90/month for slower service, but at least I’d feel a little better giving them money I guess.

2021 sucks. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

originalnickname posted:

Sadly, you'd still be giving Shaw money since TekSavvy is paying Shaw. So I guess at least you'd be giving them slightly less money?

Probably as good as it gets. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So many satellites Elon will have one hand deliver your internets like a robot postman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
They didn’t pay my cancellation fees, but I got a $300 bill credit and switched to 1gb fibre with Telus for $64/month for two years.

Jokes on them, I would have paid $300 extra to never do business with Shaw again. What a truly wretched company.