Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Getting expected speeds of approx 2.5 mb/sec which coincides with my "normal" speedtest results. I'll bookmark and test again later.

Is there some stupid Steam setting or something I'm missing?

Steam itself has ups and downs, or the content server you're on could be congested.

Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud, and change the server to something geographically close to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Google video quality report is now live for Canada
http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

It's saying Teksavvy in Toronto is rated for SD, even though I have no problems on my 25/10 VDSL, I wouldn't say this is very accurate yet.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

kiwid posted:

More issues with TekSavvy cable tonight (is it really a surprise?)

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r29144871-Slow-Service

My packet loss is getting worse and worse with every re-route they're announcing on DSLr :allears:

I think it's time to just get a book for the night.

(to be fair though, multiple fibers cut affecting multiple transit providers, a little out of their control on this one)

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 1, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Get teksavvy cable you can get 25mb unlimited for 45.

I wish it was $45 for 25 unlimited in Cogeco land, 20/2 unlimited (think its 10 up in my area now though) is $80/mo.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
^^^ I mean yeah, marketers will be marketers. But their fibre can be both FTTN and FTTH now, with no real indication of which you're getting (until you go to try to get TPIA). No one can resell FTTH though.

FTTN is not the same as FTTB (Building)/FTTH (Home/Unit).

A lot of times new developments signs contracts to X/Y, they offer to install the fibre for "free" during construction, as a result, you're limited to the companies that foot the bill. And often have no copper in the building for legacy connections.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 9, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If you really want to go directly to the CEO, just message him on DSLreports, he frequents them all the time

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Sort of ISP related, sort of not, but I have a question to ask since most of you probably know more about this than I do.

I use unotelly for my US-DNS forwarding, pretty much just for Netflix. $50.35 US$ all in for 1 year is what they charge me.

http://www.unotelly.com

My membership is up this weekend and I was going to renew, but are there other services I should consider first?

If you only use the DNS service, I've recently switched to https://adfreetime.com/ . It's only $1.99/month, 10 Netflix regions (and blocks subtitles on regions that force them), and blocks some ads.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I thought the Netflix stats were a little bit misleading ... for one thing it groups all the ISP's offerings together. But the other way, it could be implying that Rogers is actually causing Netflix to be slower on its network -- either deliberately, or that it's shoddy.

Don't get me wrong, I hate'em both, but I don't think it's so clear-cut that Bell is "better". Maybe Bell also is a CDN partner with Netflix?

The Bell Fiber is the highest because the defacto package for their IPTV service is 25/10, just like how Teksavvy is so low because they have so many 6Mbps legacy DSL users, while being an OpenConnect CDN partner.

It's a case of comparing apple to oranges, it's not a very good index unless users report their bandwidth to netflix so they can sort them appropriately.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Team unlimited, be incorrect as much as you want Teksavvy :smugdog:

TSI should really stop billing against their system though, its like nonstop posts about discrepancies of numbers.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

A c E posted:

Team unlimited is the best.

That said, I did send them a few months of bandwidth data from my router since their records were way higher for my usage. This was for rCable and after their system went live.

Though I admit I haven't actually tested to ensure that my routers reporting is 100% accurate.

Your routers numbers will always be MARGINALLY lower than what TSI reports, overhead/dropped traffic/line noise etc, but when its getting in to gigabytes of difference obviously something is up.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Give it time, Cogeco will disappoint you soon enough. Incumbents go out of their way to make you miserable.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

He switched from Cogeco.

And the physical line, and gateway to Start's network is still owned/provided by Cogeco, the incumbent in his area.

Hell, he could still be in for a truck roll just to disconnect his line, after all, he cancelled his service with them right? :haw:

edit: in hind sight, it as a pretty terrible joke i made

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 9, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
With the current tariff rates, that's pretty much the cheapest you're going to get TPIA 50Mbps.

There is a hearing in the fall, maybe the CRTC will do something right and they'll lower costs.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

priznat posted:

This Rogers "Shomi" thing sounds like garbage to me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/what-you-need-to-know-about-rogers-shaw-new-video-service-shomi/article20207264/

If it wasn't for their monopoly status it would be dead within 8 months. Instead it'll probably limp on for a couple years and get scaled back to merge with their regular VoD, I bet.

If it's anything like Cogeco's online VOD, it will also count towards your monthly data caps, doubling down ho.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Bell pulled all of Teksavvy's DSL interconnects for Eastern Canada overnight in an unannounced "maintenance" :allears:

Now their routers are making GBS threads the bed from hundreds of thousands of customers trying to reestablish their PPPOE tunnel.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Also, it seems TekSavvy now requires you to enable ZTC before the first of the month at 8pm or you can't for the entire rest of the month :bang:

It's always needed to be on for every 8-12 period for the month to get unlimited bandwidth, I think they've just got around to modifying their consumer portal to reflect as such, instead of having tons of angry people calling in saying "HEY WE ACTIVATED ZTC ON THE SECOND, I DOWNLOADED 1TB, AND YOU CHANGED ME. WTF?"

You pretty much needed a PhD to follow the ZTC rules when they first launched it.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

infernal machines posted:

or a TPIA provider like Teksavvy. Up to 150/15 is available in many Toronto neighborhoods.

As far as I know, all 150Mbps packages aren't being sold by TPIA (I know TekSavvy isn't for sure) in Rogers territories until 24 channel cable modems are certified/being sold. Old installs/modems have been grandfathered in, but all new installs need the new modems which have yet to see the light of day.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 4, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

They've been taken down at the moment but they were sold through TPIA for at least six months now. They don't actually require the 24 channel DOCSIS 3 modems to work, but Rogers is refusing new activations without them.

You don't need 24 channels to hit 150Mbps, no, but it sure helps node congestion.

Sucks for the customer, but I can't really blame them.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rukus posted:

TPIAs are not allowed to offer 150/10 until Rogers certifies a modem for them. Kind of anti-competitive since this leaves TPIAs without any packages past 60Mbps.

Also, to expand on this, 150Mbps+ packages are a HUGE risk for TPIA with the current CBB pricing, they're lucky to make any money off you even with a 300GB cap depending when you consume data (aka: gently caress off during prime time please). And as much as I love supporting the little guy, before they pulled the packages, they were (generally) more expensive than the incumbent package (even more so if you talk your way in to a sweet retention deal), with the additional bonus of getting first-party support that'll drag its feet a bit less for its own customers.

Even when the modems are certified, I'd be surprised to see any 150Mbps or higher plans return to any TPIA provider before the CRTC deals with rates.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

cowofwar posted:

My dry loop fee for DSL through teksavvy was just $5.

I believe Teksavvy is actually losing money with the $5 dry-loop fee, the band charges range from $6 all the way up to $20.

Start includes the price of it within the service, which is why on paper the actual service is more per-month than other TPIAs.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mantle posted:

I'm interested about anecdotal experience with light speed too as I want to get away from the big two and TekSavvy has horrendous startup costs.

I can barely find any information on it, which is probably a big red flag itself. There is the odd post on DSLReports/other various forums asking what you do and they go mostly unanswered, most I found was the service (from a technical standpoint) is actually its a resold service from AEBC Internet (http://www.aebc.com/residential-services/high-speed-internet/) and has pretty limited peering (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=2073), and lets not even get in to the fact they can't even call their service by the proper name (the 25Mbps and 50Mbps are going to be VDSL)

Reviews? None that I can find on DSLReports, On CanadianISP's the reviews point more negatively than positive (LightSpeed, and the parent company AEBC Internet), not even sure where else people would post stuff.

My vote? Don't go with LightSpeed, especially if your internet connection is a "critical" utility for you.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 23, 2014

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

This is just another cable bundled channel package with different nomenclature.

Pretty much, Crave needs you to have Bell services, shomi needs Rogers.

I would literally need to move to even use shomi since I'm not in a Rogers service area :haw:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

melon cat posted:

Actually, it might. I asked Teksavvy about upgrading my package, and because of the particular package I had chosen (and also because of the existing dry loop set up) they advised me that a tech would have to come by and do a few things. It's best to talk to Teksavvy Sales and clarify this before you decide on a new package. I was surprised that this was the case, but there you go.

For DSL, If you're going from ADSL (6Mbps to 15/1Mbps) to VDSL (25/10 or 50/10), and or moving the service to a dry loop, you will need someone at your house yes. Within the same technology it's just a profile change (depending on your area, MAYBE roll a truck to jam you in to a new port, but nothing at your house).

For Cable, if your modem is still certified for the plan you want to go to, it is a profile change.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Holy crap, $60 for unlimited 50/10? Apart from the modem purchase what is the catch? I'm worried the service will be flaky, basically.

At the end of the day, you're limited to the service/line Telus is able to provide to your house, and basically the only way to know if it'll be good at your house is to bite the bullet, or ask Teksavvy what kind of line stats people around you get.

Ignoring the Telus variable though, there is no catch, truly unlimited. I have Teksavvy's unlimited DSL in the East and used 1TB the first month I got it after being stuck on 50GB/mo and I didn't hear a peep, regularly use 500GB/mo.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

FFS. That's less than I'm paying for 150/15 with Teksavvy and it has a better cap.

This is exactly what the incumbents are hoping for with their CBB pricing, price TPIA's right out of business :ssh:

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 4, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I'll agree the phone agents are dumb as bricks, but the TSI staff that hang out on DSLReports are pretty stellar. But to address this:

They now insist that you jump through all the same pointless hoops as the incumbents before actually beginning to troubleshoot your issue

That's because that laundry list is REQUIRED by the incumbents before they will even accept a ticket from a TPIA. Don't have all your i's dotted and t's crossed? Get hosed, ticket rejected. It's not unique to Teksavvy at all sadly.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 5, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Yes, this is a problem, but it doesn't need to be my problem. It's like every other thing they blame on the incumbents from missed service visits, to botched installs, to major network fixes that take literal weeks to resolve, if they have so little control over their own business then why am I using them?

They used to offer a service that basically worked, and was cheaper and better than you could get elsewhere. That isn't the case anymore.

To be fair, TPIA have -TRIED- to get the CRTC to allow them to roll their own truck rolls, do installs, etc, but the incumbents cried that they would break their network with their uneducated filthy installers, and like always, the CRTC accepted the money believed the incumbents.

And while not true across the board for different regions/connection types, my 25/10 unlimited DSL is a hell of a lot cheaper than Bell's own offering ($57.99 for unlimited vs $65.99 for 100GB plus another $30 to make it unlimited). I've had 2 outages that totaled maybe a collective 5 hours, both were catastrophic events outside TSI control (one a car literally driving in to a SLAM and took out FTTN for Bell and TPIA alike, the other Bell literally took down all their interconnects to Teksavvy for no reason), and never dipped below 25/10, in fact most of the time I'm above.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 5, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

To varying extents, yes. From discussions I've had with another vendor I use it seems Teksavvy has taken to doing it more than others recently and that's been reflected in the service issues they've experienced over the last couple years.

In this specific case you'll notice it's a speed issue that only occurs during peak time on dsl. No where is the congestion there? It's either Teksavvy's link to the incumbent's last mile infrastructure or Teksavvy's internal network. Both of which are exclusively Teksavvy's responsibility.

Not sure what it's like out West, but last time there was congestion in Ontario, Teksavvy had a multiple Gbps links, collecting dust waiting weeks ( the longest time incumbents have to respond, per-CRTC rulings) for the respective incumbent to light them up.

Is Teksavvy's dismissive "blame the incumbent" attitude towards every aspect of support annoying as gently caress? Yup, but sometimes they have no legal recourse to make the incumbents stop dragging their feet.

(Ironic I am defending Teksavvy while I currently have a half-bricked DSL modem due to Bell pushing a bum firmware update and both parties are effectively telling me, get hosed :haw:)

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 15, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Fair enough points, with how large Teksavvy has ballooned over the years, they really should have the metrics and experience to know when to start firing up new links before it's an issue.

On the cable front, Teksavvy actually has a couple CISCO3848 24x8 units, but the plans are still so prohibitively expensive from a CBB standpoint, they (or any TPIA) don't offer them outside grandfather plans.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If speed matters, you don't want to be doing OpenVPN tunnels on a router unless its a full X86 PC. MIPS processors just cannot keep up with the processing that needs to be done for OVPN encryption.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 19, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Ok some of you might enjoy this twist... so I went online and signed up for start.ca for when I move mid June

I'm with teksavvy right now , but wanted to try out a different provider.

Yesterday a rep from start called me to say, they don't have access to my new building, as it has FTTH and as such Rogers has locked it down completely

I guess this is rogers' latest move to push out the little guys trying to squeeze a peice of the market ?

Does anyone have experience with this , and am I now stuck with signing up for rogers?

I used to have rogers ages ago , but got sick of their usage caps and pretty medicore speeds for the amount of money they charge

If you don't have traditional copper phone line to use DSL, then yes, you are stuck using whoever owns the fibre.

CRTC hasn't mandated it be a tariffed service, so it's hands off for TPIA (I think Cogeco willingly allows access? Not that it helps you)

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Okay what the gently caress? Apparently I can't get Teksavvy VDSL service here even though Telus is showing VDSL as available here on their end (I'm using Telus' legacy 6mbps ADSL right now). Is this a case of them stonewalling TS? I can't even upgrade to Telus VDSL as that would mean switching back to that terrible Actiontec that doesn't let me use my own router (I still have the Actiontec, but I went out and bought a DSL520B and a good router when I got sick of that shitpile), and I can't switch to cable internet without pulling new coax through the walls because I switched to OTA TV and all my existing coax is now hooked up to an antenna (and I don't like cable internet anyway)
Not sure what to do here. After cutting cable I'm going to be using the internet a hell of a lot more, and this connection was already struggling before.

If you're just using their site to check for qualifications, call-in/post in their direct forums, their database is often wrong more than it is right, at least in Ontario. It's also possible that Telus has to do pair-bonding to give you adequate speeds, which TPIA do not have access to.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Actually their site said I can switch but the rep I talked to said they have no DSL service here whatsoever- not even the 6mbps ADSL (sorry, forgot to mention that)
Pair-bonding is pretty likely since my neighborhood is old and low-income.
I guess I can put my router in the Actiontec's DMZ to avoid double-NAT but it still sucks rear end as a modem- and Telus is charging a good $15/mo more than TS for the same speed and half the cap. :sigh:

If you have ADSL service already and they claim they can't even offer it, that's pretty suspicious. Unless Telus operates differently than Bell, the offerings should be same between incumbent and TPIA (barring bonding, or FTTH). I suggest posting on their direct forums on DSLReports to get that checked again, the online crew tends to be a bit more useful than the phone crew.

No bridge mode with the Actiontec? Even if you DMZ your desired router on your Actiontec, you'll still experience double-NAT issues. With Telus any VDSL2 compliant modem works, a lot of people really like the Huawei HG610/612, it's a $30-40 modem/router combo out of China, but sports a true bridge mode. Someone has a guide here getting it working in Telus-land: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28181084-DSL-Huawei-HG610-works-in-Telusland

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Skandranon posted:

They probably have the deluded idea that their CraveTV offerings will be SO compelling, they will get people to switch phone, internet, and TV subscriptions to Bell to get it.

I want whatever drugs they are on, where they think ~$60/mo for Crave access is remotely competitive to Netflix's $9/mo

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Their strategy is to lock up enough programming that others will starve, but I guess Turcke also banned Netflix in her house and hasn't seen Daredevil or Marco Polo.
CRTC told them to :getout: with that, both Shomi and Crave have to be open to the general public and not just their subscribers. Can't wait to see the non-subscriber costs though.

Shumagorath posted:

I haven't set up my latest VPN service since leaving StrongVPN, but is US Netflix even that much better anymore? I remember it had a different movie selection but definitely not a superset.
The Canadian library has gotten much better since the concept of region-switching hit it off, but now it's less "who has more/better" and more "who has the license for content I like". With my DNS service I've switched to regions across the globe to cherry pick movies/series.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 4, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Having the licensing payments get to the artist via a different route is literally stealing food from the mouths of children.

You are literally stealing food out of Ms. Turcke's 15 year old daughter's mouth, I hope you're happy :colbert:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

A talking TV screen? Really? Not the asian dude or the girl?

To make you feel really old, this is PJ Phil today:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Is Bell horribly sick or something? Those fibre plans are actually decent.

This is what happens when there is proper competition, in the Toronto core there are a handful of small ISP's rolling out FTTP for MDU's for lower than Bell offered its 50Mbps VDSL2.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 27, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I'm in the middle of an argument with one of my ISPs. I've got satellite which I use for downloading and youtube etc. If I want to play video games, I switch over to a Bell Mifi which uses the LTE network. It boasts better latency at the expense of pricier bandwidth. The problem is with the latter. They claim I've downloaded over 90GB this month. I suspect this is bullshit - I have a separate connection for large downloads and the mifi is used only for playing video games. I do not believe it is possible that any amount of video games can possibly amount to 90GB.

Issue: I can't argue this point without proof.

I installed a program called BitMeter. It tells me that I've downloaded 126.30 MB since I installed it 3 hours ago. This is odd, since the only data I've loaded today has been google results for a query, and then a CNET page, and a 1.35MB download. (Said download should not be included in the 127.03MB total, since it occurred before installation of said program).

Clearly something on my computer is eating data that shouldn't. Are there any free utilities that break down bandwidth usage by program?

e: up to 127.26MB so far. What the poo poo?

E2: and now up to 127.52 Chrome is the only window open and the only tab open is on SA. Something sucked up 1MB in 3 minutes. That's 20MB an hour and 400MB a day. What the gently caress needs nearly half a gigabyte per day?

Do you physically remove one connection, and move to the other, or what? Sounds like it failed to rollover/you forgot to switch.

Also, in your edits, you're freaking out about 260KB, that's almost incidental data being connected to the internet, especially with Chrome if you're syncing with a Google account, it's going out to get search suggestions, syncing sites history, saved password databases, Google Now cards, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Honestly? I wouldn't setup anything that makes this convenient, it just makes this more likely to happen again.

For example: If you have both the access points passwords saved in Windows, then say your satellite router reboots/wireless drops, suddenly its switched to your LTE access point and costing you boat loads. OR, you unplug the LTE device entirely, plug it in when you KNOW you need it, you're less likely to have something connecting to it over night downloading stuff.