Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Out of all the cities in Canada, Winnipeg has the most saturated nodes right now, unfortunately. It very much depends on where you are; when I was living in Colony Square right downtown I didn't have any problems with my 25/2.5 plan, but my co-worker in the same building with the 100Mbps plan was having issues getting his full stated speed. I'm in St. James right now and things have been alright on the 50Mbps plan.

The thing that will help the most with the saturation is the Digital Network Upgrade we've been doing across the country, where we're finally getting rid of the analog television signal and forcing people to go digital if they don't have a cable box already. This frees up a ton of bandwidth for internet, and also allows us to start offering 250Mbps internet in those areas. I know we've done the St. Vital hubsite so far, but I can check what other parts of the city have been done or are scheduled for the near future when I get in to work today.

If anyone is moving or thinking of switching, if you PM me the address you're going to be at, I can run a saturation report on your node, which is more info than you'll get by calling in. At this point we'd rather be upfront about it rather than have people get services with us, only to get pissed off and cancel a month later.

I was subscribed to Broadband 50 in the Windsor Park area for a long time and I was getting close to 2-5mbps at peak times. It was funny because at the time I was playing WoW with a bunch of Shaw guys in Winnipeg who just kept telling me to wait until I got split. It happened a year later and I finally got consistent 45-48mbps speeds. I work here now and it's strange to see how widespread of a problem it is, but they definitely seem like they want to take charge of the speed problem and fix it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but didn't want to start a new one:

About 8 years ago, I set up a @shaw email address through my parents account. Over the course of 8 years, I've tied this account to pretty much everything (itunes, windows 8, ect ect).

I've since moved out, and my parents recently made the switch to Telus without letting me know. Am I boned?

As long as you have or know someone with an active Shaw account we can move it to that one and keep it active.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

Cheers, I'll work that out.

Now, you've said "keep" it active. Their service was shut down last week, and I stopped being able to log in today (when I found out). Can they set it up again or....?

Yeah the account stays in the system it just goes inactive after a week like you've seen. I've seen people get emails back after being on 7 years of Telus.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

Assuming existing last mile infrastructure, how fast can we theoretically get the dsl and cable technologies?

Theoretically speaking if someone made a modem with 24 downstream channels/8 upstream channels with DOCSIS 3.0 spec we could do 1029.12mbps down/245.76mbps up. You would also have to clean the QAM space for that(clearing out a ton of TV channels) and make sure that someone doing a gigabit isn't going to saturate the node immediately. You probably won't see stuff like that until Cableco switch to IPTV delivery and can dedicate most of their frequencies to downstream channels.

If DOCSIS 3.1 becomes a reality you are looking at stuff like 10gpbs down/1gbps up, but that's a long ways away.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nuntius posted:

Eventually I was able to get them to give me twelve months of the 25mb plan for $35 a month because I'm a student. At first they have me the whole 'new customers only' line and again I said 'I have no contract, I can just cancel any time'. I made sure my new 12 month deal is also on month-to-month.

This isn't anything really special, most telcos will give great student deals in August to boost their year end numbers. If you were talking to retentions they would of just made it sound amazing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Who exactly the gently caress did you go with in Windy shithole here? MTS doesn't even offer over 20mbps

I cannot read the words that are on the screens, ignore me.

FYI MTS is rolling out 50/5 using pair bonding to parts of Winnipeg where fibre is still to expensive to run, not sure how long it will take them to reach certain area though.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Ugh. The LTE on my Rogers iPhone demolishes my Cogeco cable wireless on the same phone. The cable has poo poo latency, poo poo bandwidth, and constantly drops. It's embarassing.

Is it just the wireless is lovely? Probably just one of the lovely modem/router combos they hand out.(coming from a former tech suppport rep at a different company)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

priznat posted:

I am getting the 50Mbps upgrade on my Telus, and they need to send out a tech. Any idea what they do? They already replaced the phone line from the pole to the house with cat5. Is it to upgrade the wiring inside?

Right now it is just a regular phone line from the jack to the modem.

Probably run a second line for pair bonding? Maybe they need to upgrade the modem as well. I've only worked with cable though so I could be wrong.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Anyone in Winnipeg using Lightning 50 right now? My roommate works for MTS so I can get a discount, but I've never had an issue with my Shaw connection and not being able to get a standalone modem through MTS kind of sucks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Schmerm posted:

Sadly, no, I don't have them confused. 6Mbits down / 256 kbits up is the plan. I'm getting 130kiloBYTES per second (about 1.2ish MBits).

Are you doing speedtests on Wifi?
Have you tested during different times of day?
What website are you using for speedtests?
Tried direct to your modem with only one computer on to rule out 3rd party equipment?

All the standard tech support questions.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

This is probably old news to people here, but I just noticed how much my wifi shits the bed with the microwave is on.

Downloading some steam games and noticed I was only pulling about 500kb/sec, then I could hear my wife heating up lunch. As soon as the microwave was off it went back up to 2.9MB/sec

Wifi is pretty much a tech support nightmare. The 2.4ghz bandwith is so oversaturated now and running wifi say through a piece of furniture can cut the speed in half. Won't be long until the 5.0ghz band runs into the same problems.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

priznat posted:

Plus Shaw doesn't offer any freebies (or do contracts iirc?), bah. Probably due to collusion!

Shaw got contracts not to long ago, but they are pretty awful. When I was there the companies stance was giving away free poo poo loses too much money. Telus lost a ton of money when they first offered TV to gain subscribers giving poo poo away. It started paying off this year for them though.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It's crazy that they think 500gb is a resonable cap for 100mb service.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Nope. Rogers just released new speed tiers all require a cable modem that can bond 24 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels. No modem that meets these requirements has been approved for third party providers (the best is currently 8 down 8 up). Rogers uses a Hitron 24x8 modem for its own customers, but requires custom firmware that also isn't available to third parties (who can't buy that modem anyway).

I doubt Rogers even has 24 downstream channel available for bonding yet. Probably won't have the bandwith until they switch cable service to IPTV.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Also keep in mind people use Netflix on devices connected to wireless routers or on their own terrible home networks, maybe while torrenting. Maybe Rogers just provides the worst modem/router combo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rumour is Shaw is coming out with new and improved internet plans in the New Year. By new and improved I mean they look like Rogers plans, but worse.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jan posted:

Ehh, fair enough. I was under the impression that Manitonba is one of the few provinces where Internet access is less of a rip-off thanks to the existence of MTS. Didn't occur to me that they might still be using DSL.

For Cell Phone service MTS does the least to screw you out of the 4 carriers available here. For Internet they are bogged down by the fact that DSL can really suck in areas with old infrastructure. THey also have yearly rate increases, nothing close to 10% though. The worst thing MTS does is gouge rural customers for landline service.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Shaw did what everyone found out even after they said they wouldn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/2ri6ma/as_promised_shaw_lowered_their_speeds_by_60_for/

As visible on their website, you'll notice all price tiers are now 60% slower.
For example 25Mb/s used to be $60, now that only gets your 15Mb/s.
100Mb/s used to be $90, now that only gets you 60Mb/s (also with no option for any faster internet)
This is a follow up to this post.
I'm disappointed with the direction Canadian internet is taking lately, but not surprised all our feedback fell on deaf ears.
I never checked the prices of Telus before this change, so I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain you used to be able to get 25 for $60 a month, it's now $68.

I'm on the 50/3 right now and it went up to 85 minus the 5 dollar discount I have for running the SamKnows device they gave me. MTS is 81 for 50/5 so its about even still. Everyone fucks you equally.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

One of the reasons why upload is usually so much lower than download (At least with cable) has to do with how the transmitting equipment at the ISP's headend is much more powerful and expensive than the transmitter in the $100 modem at your residence. Using a radio analogy (Which isn't too far off the mark, since that's what cable is), a broadcast tower is able to send a signal to your handheld receiver 100km away, but if you try to use your handheld device to transmit back to that base station 100km away, the signal isn't going to be anywhere near as clear.

Upload is really nice for things like game servers, sending HD video to people, or for doing online file backups. I want to give something like Crashplan a try, but things will take forever with my current 5Mbps upload.

I've heard this and that Upstream coming from people homes creates a ton of noise on the line if people have older cable wiring in their house or whatever on their lines. Upload also becomes saturated much quicker then download for reasons that were never explained to me, that's why ISPs will limited filesharing uploading, but not downloading. If DOCSIS 3.1 ever makes it to mainstream that would solve the majority of these issues.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Is that per a month? So affordable.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Shaw quietly launched Internet 120

120mbps down
6mbps up
750gb cap
120 dollars a month.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

At least a 750gb cap is reasonable, even with fairly heavy downloading.

Just seems riduclous considering their grandfathered Broadband 100 plan was only 99 dollars after price hike and Broadband 250 where available is still 120 a month for 250/10(or 5 depending on area if I remember) and 1TB.

Rukus posted:

Docsis is designed for higher customer download speeds than uploads, unfortunately. Generally the higher speed tiers have a greater upload just to accommodate all the ACKs you'll be sending out when downloading at 150+Mbps. Some DSL providers do 25/10 (or more), but you're much more at the mercy of bad phone lines and your distance from their equipment to actually get the advertised speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get lovely speeds and bandwidth caps on fibre connections from the incumbents, though. Hopefully the CRTC will open them up to TPIAs.

MTS is installing fibre in small communities where it doesn't make any sense to upgrade the existing copper. I believe the pricing is

50/5 - $83
100/15 - $140
250/30 - $280

I'm under the assumption that once fibre is in that the jump from 50 down to 250 down isn't really taxing on the network so the prices don't really make much sense to me.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 4, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

37th Chamber posted:

I'll agree the phone agents are dumb as bricks, but the TSI staff that hang out on DSLReports are pretty stellar. But to address this:

That's because that laundry list is REQUIRED by the incumbents before they will even accept a ticket from a TPIA. Don't have all your i's dotted and t's crossed? Get hosed, ticket rejected. It's not unique to Teksavvy at all sadly.

This. I used to work phone tech support for a large cable company and if you tried to escalate something without doing the basic 9-10 troubleshooting steps you would get rejected everytime.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

These notices remind me a lot of the RCMP virus that went around(probably still is). When infected a computer wouldn't the desktop and instead just show a message saying your computer was locked because of illegal activity and to play a fine to the RCMP/CSIS/Interpol/FBI via ukash wire. No way to tell for sure how much they made, but I know a number of people who paid up at the time just from working tech support at an ISP.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

infernal machines posted:

And it'll be fixed in only two months!

Now that's service.

I assume the process is the same for DSL, but on cable when a node needs to be split there was always a lot of red tape and permits needed from the city planning board or whatever before we could even start constructing another node to split. Also the technology behind cable can't tell you how overloaded a node is past 100% so half the time you would split a node and both of them would come up at 100% within 2 weeks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

acetcx posted:

Yeah, the Bell/Rogers fiber plans are garbage. My building has fiber and these are the options:

15down/15up, 50gb/month, $56/month
25down/25up, 125gb/month, $66/month
50down/50up, 250gb/month, $76/month
175down/175up, 300gb/month, $94/month

Make any of those plans unlimited for an extra $30/month ($10/month if you have a bundle). Also, if you can believe it, they just increased those caps like a week ago.

I wish I had one of the good ISP's...

If you were to use the 175mb/s at full capacity you would last 137142 seconds or 2285 minutes or 38 hours or about a day and half before hitting the cap, what's even the loving point to speeds like that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

That's a good position to be in. Gotta love at least some competition.

For incumbents here (Southern Alberta at least) we have a choice of Telus for DSL and Shaw for cable.

A Telus 25MB with 250GB cap is $68/month with a "free" modem but there is an install fee. Want unlimited? Add another $30 month. So $100+/month with taxes/fees for a reasonable 25 DSL connection alone. Take an extra $5-$10 off if you have Telus TV :woop:

Shaw 30 is $70/month with 250GB cap. I don't see an option for unlimited.

Teksavvy 25/5 unlimited is $55/month. 300GB option is $45 month.

Pretty easy decision out here at least.

Regarding movie chat, our local library has new releases for "free" rental with any library membership. Bluray and DVDs included. Granted, they don't have hundreds of copies of the newest movies but there are enough that you can generally get a copy within a couple weeks of release.

I think Shaw is an extra $100 add-on for unlimited, unless they discontinued that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Last time I checked Rogers looked like they had some pretty decent plans, including some unlimited stuff. I've only used them for cell phone service though I dropped them like a rock after some questionable billing poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Here's to hoping that MTS rolls out fibre to all Winnipeg neighbours before my household loses its Shaw employee discount next year!

Is Bell horribly sick or something? Those fibre plans are actually decent.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Tagra posted:

So, I'm not really a guru when it comes to network things... but is this inability to host something Telus has deliberately done to prevent too much upload traffic or is it just because they chose a poo poo router, or is it because they are incompetent at setting up their poo poo router? All seem plausible...

They can control upload traffic from whatever head end they are using pretty effectively. My working theory ISPs hate when people use their own routers because people buy poo poo routers then call in, complain that their internet(actually wi-fi speed) is slow and expect tech support to fix their stupid Linksys $20 entry level router.

Main reason they restrict upload is Telus/Shaw have lovely peering agreements and pay out the rear end for handing off traffic to other network handlers and pay next to nothing for download.

Deathreaper posted:

On a side note, does anyone know if any ISP in Canada is planning to move forward with DOCSIS 3.1 for Gigabit over cable or is to expensive / impractical?

Comcast just started testing it in the States and is hoping to have a full-scale deployment next year. Shawgers will wait for all the issues to be ironed out by Comcast fix then buy the tech from them, I would say 2-3 years before they start doing Greenfield testing here.

Kazinsal posted:

I just wish ISPs would get rid of all the telco cruft and wire Cat6 from a box on the side of my house to the room opposite the wall that the box is on so I can just plug in a real goddamn router, console into it, set up DHCP (or a static if I'm paying for one), make sure I can ping out, then set up a switch and all the actual network poo poo I want.

But then they couldn't control what ports I have incoming connections and stuff, so y'know. That's not gonna happen.

They can control ports and traffic easy enough from their head ends.

Siochain posted:

Yeah, I'm with Eastlink in NE Ontario, and honestly, if I had ~any~ other remotely decent option, I'd leave.
We moved here 3 years ago, signed up for a 20/2 package with unlimited data for like...$65 or so I think. Last year my plan suddenly became 20/1 for $70 - they won't admit it changed though. Because I work from home and need a little more upload, I had to pay to upgrade to their 40/2 package at $90 a month. Except it then has a 250gb cap, which I go over pretty easily. So another $30 a month for unlimited data. Its loving terrible.

But, my only other options are Rogers/Telus/NorthernTel cell-based internet, or DSL from NorthernTel with their "Superfast" package being 5/1...for almost $80 a month.

I hate not living in Manitoba where there's some good, home-grown competition.

MTS home services are just as bad here for pricing and service wise for the most part. They raise their prices at the same time everyone else does and their fibre offerings are ludicrous($140.00 a month for 100/15). MTS is great for keeping our cell phones semi-cheap and thats about it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Congratulations on being an rear end in a top hat?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

A bit of a random question. But does anyone know any Rogers installation techs? I have a technical about the installation process of Rogers whole home PVR and I'm getting conflicting answers from Rogers CSRs.

Specifically, I'm wondering if the Rogers tech just needs access to the panel with the amp and the splitters or if they need to access every room in the house with a cable box.

If everything is good with the wiring around the house and you have a lazy tech, no.

If the tech is thorough or there's any signal issues at any outlet in your house then year they will probably go check the splitters first.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

When CG-TEK sent out that mountain of copyright notices last spring I received one from Teksavvy saying I downloaded some porn... which I did not, although that's probably beside the point.

There was a helpful link in the email saying "click here to settle" which sounds like was really anything but to those poor suckers that actually tried.

Supposedly ISPs have to keep the IP records for 6 months after the notice so the holder can start court proceedings. I haven't heard anything since the original notice back in April/May and I figure it's too late for them to do anything at this point even if they wanted to.

These notices probably stopped several casual downloaders on the threat alone, but ironically probably just made more people aware of the VPNs that are available which shield the downloader identity. I know the notice I received introduced me to them which seems to have benefits whether you're doing something of questionable legality or not.

The "click here to settle" link was most likely a phising e-mail looking to scam people. Companies aren't usually allowed to send a customized notice to you, they are supposed to contact the ISP who sends you a template with the company named filled in.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I had door to door MTS guys come into my backyard while I was mowing my lawn to try and sell me on MTS. When I told them that my girlfriend works for Shaw and we are on the Employee Plan he tried to tell I would get better service and continued to try to sell me. Door to door guys are ruthless.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I had one of those energy guys years ago who I actually invite inside for a minute because it was the middle of a Winnipeg winter and he would not leave. It got to the point where he was dialing the number to sign me up for a 5 year natual gas contract and I was just saying "no no no" over and over. It was a huge scam too, this is the first year that Manitoba Hydro raised rates since and it's still cheaper than what they offered me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

No poo poo. I happily paid for 7.

e: Rogers' 1000/50 plan is $150 a month :stare:

Shaw has the same numbers for D/U for gigabit fibre and it doesn't make sense. You should theoretically have no issues with symmetrical speeds on all fibre right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

What are you using the Internet for that 50mbps vs 100mbps makes that huge of a difference for you? 99% of people can get away with 25mbps plans no issues.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Now I'm paranoid that Shaw is gearing up for a Rogers sale/merger. No way Rogers lets Bell reach farther west than them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm fairly certain Shaw is seeing the beginning of the end of TV cable service and this is the first step to get people on board with fast internet before bringing the price up to 150 dollars a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

priznat posted:

The really annoying thing is HBO online streaming being unavailable unless you pay the $20 or whatever on top of the regular cable.

It's such a pisser.

It's not even the same as HBO Go is in the US. When you get it down there you have access to literally any HBO has created ever.