Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

slidebite posted:

What's your bandwidth cap with Telus 50?

According to a buddy of mine that works for Telus there isn't a bandwidth cap on Optik, because they don't/can't differentiate between IPTV traffic and regular internet usage or something like that. I wish I could switch to it because Shaw has finally started enforcing their bandwidth cap in my area, but the fastest Telus offers on my street is Broadband 15. Even though the rest of my neighbourhood has had access to Telus broadband 25/50, and have for years.

Speaking of Telus though, I just had an interesting conversation with one of their sales people; they always come by this time of year and I let him in hoping the 50 was finally available.

First he insisted that 15mb/s through Telus is faster than my 50 through Shaw. Then he pulled out his phone and opened up the speedtest.net app, which only showed about 18mb/s because it was connected to his LTE network and not my WiFi. When I pointed that out he insisted it didn't matter because my router was the closest wireless source. Before closing the app he pointed to the "Hosted by Telus" bit near the bottom and claimed that meant Telus was faster than Shaw in this neighbourhood. :wtc:

In the end I politely turned down his offer instead of explaining how and why he was completely wrong, because Sony's E3 was about to start. In retrospect I probably should have said something because most of my street is home to elderly people who wouldn't know he was bullshitting, and also it sounded like he was trained to say those things and didn't really know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

slidebite posted:

I am used to that with electric and gas salespeople, but that poo poo technique is migrating to mainstream ISP now too? It amazes me they think door to door aggressive salespeople is a good idea in this day and age. I expect it from lovely re-sellers of utilities, home alarm sellers or water filtration people, but jesus christ. That's slimy as gently caress hoping to get someone that doesn't like confrontation or a senior. :psyduck:

A while back my grandparents let in a Telus sales rep in while I was at their place fixing their computer. He tried to convince us we weren't getting the full speed from Shaw by running speedtest.net on his phone, which was connected to Telus 4G and not my grandparent's WiFi. When I called him out on that he claimed it didn't matter because of how close his phone is to the Shaw modem. If I wasn't there my granparents might've fallen for it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I think it depends on what area you're in. Last time I had Shaw they called me about it a few times but never actually did anything about me going over. The 150 comes with 1Tb, so that should help.

I just got my 150 hooked up. I'm actually getting 178mb/s down :getin:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The only smaller ISPs in my area that can compete with Shaw or Telus look like they're just shell companies for Shaw. They use Shaw modems and technicians for installs and have exactly the same pricing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Assuming the VPNs you tried were working properly, theres no way Shaw would have been able to detect which trackers you were connecting to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah same I want to bail on stupid rogers asap

Not that shaw was or telus is much better

Same, I would switch ISP but there aren't any better options in my area. The only internet Telus offers here is 15 mb/s for $100/month (or $50 on a 2 year contract).