Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Isn't that the kind of thing they need to send you new T&C for? I don't think we've received a new T&C in the mail yet, and I can't imagine how adding something like "oh by the way now we can charge you $10/gb" is something they could just slip in legally.
In theory they should but chances are they won't. Bell tried this on a friend of mine several years ago. He signed a contract for their internet around 2006 before ISPs had caps, and several years later he basically found a fee on his bill for exceeding this sudden cap. He fought with Bell to remove the fee for months, saying that any changes to the contract requires them to send a new contract. Unsurprisingly, he got nowhere with them and moved to Teksavvy as soon as his contract expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
For anyone interested in seeing how Canadian internet stacks up to the rest of the world, this is a highly informative site. It doesn't look good when its only us and Australia that are the only countries that don't offer any sort of unlimited internet.... in 2009.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Stanley Pain posted:

My MP is Peter Kent, totes the company line pretty hard core. I've sent him a bunch of my concerns and the responses I get back are pretty much what you'd expect for someone toting the company line.
Sup fellow Thornhillian.

I know it may be a futile effort, but I'm still planning to write a letter to him this week, and a good friend of mine is going to try calling him on the phone. In the odd chance he actually reads what I write about this, I hope my two main arguments of the ruling being anti-competitive, and how this will further set Canada back in terms of quality internet being available will appeal to him. Don't be discouraged, apathy is perhaps what got us all into this situation in the first place.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

kuddles posted:

And as a surprise to nobody, the National Post editorial team is taking the stance that this will effect nobody, that we're all a bunch of whiners, and that Bell is only charging what it needs to in order to survive, as determined through their heavy research of asking a Bell spokesperson about it.
I love how just about every comment on that editorial is calling the author out on their bullshit.

Also saw coverage of this issue on Global for the first time tonight, its becoming too big for even a news outlet owned by Shaw to ignore.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

univbee posted:

You mean like in Japan with its population five times Canada's where 160 megabit internet for $60 is the norm? No, although in fairness I'm not sure what constitutes normal use over there (freeish* digital over-the-air TV is available everywhere, no one games on PC, virtually all Japanese PC games are retail packages only, their rental stores are basically heaven so you really don't need to download a movie illegally, and even if you could good luck finding Japanese subtitles for it); I think in Japan they just innovated everything else so the internet was less of a priority.

* - Minus NHK's legally-required cut
Haven't the Japanese been doing most of their internet usage on phones for quite a few years now, by which I mean long before smartphones became all the rage over here. This of course would place much less stress on their land based broadband infrastructure compared to other nations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Nomenklatura posted:

VERY disappointed with Paikin in that interview. He routinely gave Bibic a chance to respond to Burger without providing the same opportunities in turn, he gave too much time to James Cowen, who was absolute dead weight, and he jumped all over Burger's comments about bandwidth costs while letting Bibic's absolute horseshit over the Quebec/Ontario thing slide. It really feels like Paikin was in Bell's camp there, which is rather surprising considering how sharp a guy he is.
To me it looked like he was trying to let Bibic hang himself, which he did when he avoided answering questions (especially getting out of having to respond to the netflix question due to time constraints), and when he completely distorted what Burger said about upgrading infrastructure. The man is a fountain of bullshit, just let him do his thing and he'll be repulsive to anyone who can think and/or knows about the issues at hand.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Shouldn't that be considered anti-competitive behaviour, purposely giving poor service and large fees to customers on an ISP that has every right to use Bell's infrastructure? Not that the CRTC or Bell particularly care about that type of fairness...

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If anything, the Conservative crime legislation which is almost certainly going to include internet surveillance is more worrying than UBB. They've tried it before, and before the election Harper said he'd try to pass this in the first 100 days of parliament if he got a majority.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Donating to technical schools and major universities, some of that money is going to basically come back to them since some of their graduates would go work for the big three. Interesting blend between a charitable donation and a small investment.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

Guess which ISP is the worst throttler in the world?

http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/10/21/rogers-throttlin/
Speaking of which... has anyone on Rogers had trouble playing Starcraft II lately? I got really bad lag playing this morning, something I've never gotten before. I had no torrents running, and my connection is completely fine otherwise.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Has anyone transferred from another ISP to start.ca? How smooth was the transition, and how has start's service been? I'm looking to finally ditch a craptastic and antiquated plan from Rogers.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

slidebite posted:

Telus charged my 70+ year old inlaws $15 for overage this past month, presumably for streaming Netflix. They have a 200GB cap :psyduck:

gently caress Telus and gently caress stupid low caps. They've never been over, ever. Until now I guess, but not even a warning.
That's relatively generous. I've got a 60gb cap with Rogers at my house. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm looking at signing up with Coextro for a 150 Mbps cable plan since they seem to offer the best bang for the buck in my area, is there any reason to avoid them?

Also, is it worth it to purchase my own modem instead of using whatever they provide?