Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this:

My roommate just recently signed a 12 month deal with rogers that starts on our next billing session. I just found an ISP that will give us 15mbps/1mbps for 50$ no modem rental or installation fees and unlimited bandwidth.

The fee for cancelling with rogers is an absurd 240$.
Is there a way I can challenge that fee? We haven't even started using that special service and I'd really not have to keep dealing with rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urf
Jul 12, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

There's often a cooling-off period where you can cancel a contract. How recent is recent? Have some fine-print to check?

It might even be mandatory ... but I'm no lawyer.

Less than a month ago. 3 weeks tops.
It was all done over the phone but I'm sure if I get details from my roommate I can just brute force my way to getting the info I need. I'd be prepared to waste a couple days getting this poo poo done, I'd just really be interested if anyone's dealt with this sort of thing with rogers before. If it helps, this is in Ontario.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Vergeh posted:

Ninja edit: If you're only three weeks in, you might be able to whine your way out of it. Just don't tell them the reason you're quitting is because of a better deal. Make something up that'll convince them they're not going to get a bill payment out of you.

Okay thanks, I was going to mention the better deal but I can see why that's not really a good idea. Would saying something like possibly moving out of the country be a decent plan? I'm very willing on bugging the hell out of rogers.

fake edit: Just I was writing this post my roommate said he called them and asked them to match the better deal we were going to get. :doh:
He said I could still try impersonating him and getting the fee cancelled.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks for your help guys. I got out of the 'deal' and I've now signed up with Distributel. I should be getting unlimited bandwidth and 15mbps/1.5mbps starting March 2nd for just 50$ a month. For anyone in Ontario or Quebec who has access to cable internet it's worth a check if they're available in your area. Unless you have a better deal of course.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

DistribuTel is putting fliers in the mail for unlimited internet these days. I have no idea if they're any good but at least the word is getting out from resellers to people who otherwise don't care.

I'm starting DistribuTel service this friday.
I'll post impressions after a month or so.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
For those of you in Ontario and have access to cable internet here's something to check out: http://www.distributel.ca/en-ON/residential/internet/very-high-speed-cable

I switched to Distributel last month I've been getting 2 to 3 times the DL speed I used to get with Rogers.

This is a speed test I just did right now:

My download speed will range from 18Mb/s during peak times and I've seen it rise to 30+Mb/s.
Upload pretty much hovers around 0.97Mb/s with hitting 0.89-0.91~Mb/s during peak and Ping always between 11-15ms. Both me and my roommate have been doing speed tests at different times of day a few times a week during this whole month and we've never actually seen the download speed drop to the reported 15Mb/s.

Overall service has been great and the only issue we've had was because of the weird way we went about signing up for the service, which got dealt with relatively hassle-free. My roommate was working during their business hours at the time so I called to set up the account, then later we transfered it in his name, but that meant the original payment was still on my credit card, but we've been credited for the overcharge now.

edit: Forgot to mention UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH for 50$ a month

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Xplosive posted:

What part of Ontario because I guess it all depends on the POI congestion.

I live in Etobicoke; close to Islington and Bloor.

Hirez posted:

hmm distrubutel looks nice, I was about to sign up for teksavvy and was midway through the process when I saw your post and it costs a bunch more:

code:
Teksavvy:
Cable Service    $54.95/month
Activation    $24.95
Modem + Shipping   $109.00
HST:    $24.56
Subtotal:    $188.90

Total:    $213.46
I'd rather just pay $50/month for the same thing with distributel - What kind of cable modem do they give you? and It looks like there's no contract either? And yea what area as well :v:

Yeah it would be a lot cheaper, I didn't pay for my modem (and I don't pay a rental charge) or any activation fee (though there is a 10$ account set up fee). There's no contract. They sent me a Motorola Surfboard Model # SB5101N.

edit: I forgot to mention when signing up you're paying from the day your account is active and your first full month, but you get credited for every day between signing up and actually being connected on the month after that.

urf fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2011

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I just had a Rogers rep offer me 500 mb down, 20 mb up, unlimited bandwidth for 30$ a month (modem rental included) price locked for 2 years and no contract or penalties if I leave after that time period. It honestly sounds too good to be true but he said it's to compete with similar apartment building deals since Bell ran fiber to all the units a year or so ago. Lots of competition around this neighbourhood apparently?

I've been with Distributel for 6 years or so and I don't want to give Rogers money directly but I honestly can't afford to say no to slashing my internet bill in half for 16x better download speed and 20x better upload.

Has anyone else heard of such ridiculous deals recently?

e: forgot I can also get 20$ credits for every referral I send his way from my apartment building.

urf fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 17, 2017

urf
Jul 12, 2009

I am pretty happy with this switch.
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just doesn't seem real that I am going to end up paying 30bux a month for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urf
Jul 12, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

how in the world do you only pay $30/mo for that

Zigmidge posted:

That's because this isn't real enough to be of use to anyone reading. Is this a bundle of condo deal?

I was told it was a deal exclusive to my apartment building, something about trying to maintain a good relationship with the property management company.
I know Bell ran fiber in our building recently, so maybe that combined with upcoming third party access to fiber resale has Rogers worried maybe?