Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Okay, so summer (effectively close as you get here in Canada :v:) is almost back and I'm heading back home for work and such, might be staying a bit longer too.

We live in Nothern Ontario, near Thunder Bay, and currently have Bell DSL, 5/800 as best I could always tell from our speeds (Steam at it's best could siphon about 850kpbs at 2 am, and our upload can't be the worst as I hosted some smaller games' servers a couple of times and one L4D listen server that seemed to work well enough), though these were peaks and it never usually lives up to this and has frequent drops where we have no internet for about half-hour periods, usually once a day on average.

So I decided that the fact that we do have a limit (120 when I last looked, but I was last living at home in Dec. 09, I'm certain their greedy asses have changed it without notifying my parents) sucks. So I checked on TekSavvy's site and they say our phone number is good for it as best they can tell.

So I'm here just to get a couple nervous points out of the way before I spring it on them to switch.

A. Seeing we already have equivalent DSL service in theory, our lines should be good to handle TekSavvy's service, right?

B. What are their general upkeeps like, do people who use them still get dropped periods or excessively slowed speeds at peak or other hours?

C. What's the setup for this like? I myself haven't owned a home to set up my own internet yet, so what's a timeframe from start to finish and how long would we be with internet, or phone service (if we lose phone seeing it's DSL)? And what would having technician's come out cost? It's not TBay itself, and is about 4 hours from there.

I just don't want my parent's first impression of them to be bad. They trust me completely with any matter involving electronics or internet, but I'd like to keep this smooth.

Ninja edit: Oh also, can you get House on Netflix in canada yet? Because if that and the few other shows we watch can be seen there, I might convince them to drop satellite from Bell also, my Father watches virtually no TV and my mother only a few specific shows.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

"Not available"

Of course. :I

Why can't they get anything good here again?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well it's nice to get all these extra ideas, but anyone have answers to my other questions? :D

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

What exactly is the legality of this? I'm assuming it fits a loophole as they're a registered business and all.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So yeah, home, trying to convince parents to switch, one problem. My father has a sympatico email he's used for 4 years, and it's tied to his business now. This is the only real block on it, so I'd like to know exactly how long after we switch will Bell cancel or if there is some way to keep it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah that's definitely the way to go, I did the same thing with my father. Got him a domain name, set his reply to address in poo poo like the blackberry to the new email in case he uses the old account at all. Three months is a good enough time to pick up the important people, he can dump it after that and anyone else will probably have his phone number anyway.

Fair point, he's well and willing to listen to me if I have a solution.

Only problem is his contacts are horribly decentralized and in strings, word of mouth is powerful, having kept him employed, but it's also horrible to follow up with any of them who didn't wind up giving contact info.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Alright, home issues solved (yay), new issue arises.

I'm switching to University of Manitoba for one year. They do all the usual Teh Stoopid™ like having Aramark the shittiest food provider ever, so I'm going to just go an assume without having to look that their residence internet is kneecapped like crazy as well.

Problem being is there doesn't seem to be a good ISP for Winnipeg in general, even looking on the canadianisp.ca site. Any Goons can help a fellow out on the search for non-poo poo internet again?

(Honestly, what happened, did Homicidipeg scare them all away?)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=115&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop/dsl look good for the price.

There are more then a few of those in the peg.

It's capped, so gently caress them, I refuse to support the practice anymore.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Okay well these guys have uncapped.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=67&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop is a really good deal if thats a true 5mbit.

Okay, no offense, but do you look at these providers before you reccomend them? It says right on their own website on the DSL page:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pweller posted:

Wtf I didn't realize that... just checked and they have the exact same package levels as Shaw. Sucks not having any other options.

StealthArcher, I'm pretty sure Shaw offers some sort of $15 internet deal for students. If you're in res though I'm pretty sure you don't have any choice.
U of M campus internet is actually pretty awesome. Free wifi all over campus with good speeds. You shouldn't have any problems.

5GB each up/down

Per MONTH.

gently caress that.

I mean good god, Alberta only gave you 1 up/down per day, but at least their IT was incompetent and I regularly got away with 20+

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 12, 2011

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey an actual TSI employee :D

We're pretty set on switching over to you guys come the end of this month (I know I said at the end of May, but I wound up being away for a week and a bit and my parents aren't touching the internet without me around) and am looking forward to a nice unlimited plan and dropping our Bell Satellite since all my mother watches is available on Global's site, and I can proxy her up some US Netflix if she wants.

Also when I go to school this January I'm hoping to maybe grab some nice cable internet from you guys in Waterloo.

Thankfully our number checks out here though, I was worried for a while before I tried that lil' old Fort Frances was too far gone for you guys to hit.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So this good ol wonderful day has come, we are cancelling our Bell internet and satellite this morning and I'll be signing us up for TekSavvy on our last two day's worth of internet this afternoon.

I'm assuming when it says first month billed today that just means we'll be billed on every month on the 28th?

Regardless, it'll be nice to have no caps and constantly gimped speed in some way or another.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I work for Teksavvy. Yes, they will exist in a year. The only way they might not exist in a year is if the government, despite changing Industry ministers, goes head on into allowing foreign investors to come in and AT&T buys up Teksavvy for a big enough price to make a family company sell to create AT&T Canada. Even then you're going to get awesome service.*

The company just added over 60 employees in the last six months, me included. They used to just have an office in Chatham (along with a lobbying office in Ottawa and a marketing office in Toronto) and they've recently set up an office in Sudbury to add more French speaking CSRs and TSRs.

Teksavvy is a growing company, not a company surviving on just good marketing.

*EDIT: Just because I started working here and I loving love my job, I just want to say that I'm not trying to be an authority on this. Especially the idea of them selling. I have no idea and I'd never bet on it. Oh, and George Burger is really, really tall.

Yoooooou.

What is your name. I wanted to put you down as our referrer on the presale form.

EDIT: Too late :( mother wanted her credit card back so I had to finish up. I mentioned you in the comments anyway.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 28, 2011

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

I dont know if its because everyone is out and being drunk, but my teksavvy speeds have gone all insane today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367069765.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367070965.png

It's you happy Canada Day gift I suppose.

Mine is we got switched over, don't have our modem yet, but I managed to get our old as poo poo SpeedStream 6520 to work with TS's network.

I may have lost 2 Mbps down, but hey, 90% of the time Bell throttled it to 1-2 anyway, the consistency TS has already shown in the few hours I've been using it is incredible.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Despite my usual forte with fixing computers programming and such, I am stumped on how to set up the two remaining email addresses for my TekSavvy account, as we're told we get three but only have 1 so far. None of the pages or forums I've googled have anything on it, and teksavvy's help pages and customer portal only give me the option to add more as though I've already hit the limit of 3.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

TekSavvy and other IISPs are wrangling with Bell, Rogers, et al about their download speed. CRTC enforced that they had to open up higher speeds so everyone is working right now about it. Bell is also trying to push something new on the IISPs called AVP: Aggravated volume pricing. It's UBB wrapped up in a neat new package which has a lot to do with losing the UBB case and now being forced to give higher speeds to the IISPs.

It's very much a work in progress, but TekSavvy will be getting faster download/upload soon. How soon? Nobody knows.

Does this mean the plans that already exist will become faster at all, or just that new ones will pop up?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Teksavvy has so many issues outside of being incompetent and not having tech thats it not even worth bothering.

:frogout:

Anyway, LR, any idea when that 24/7 plan will be coming up? I don't think it'll be available in Winnipeg, but I'd still like to know.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Backov posted:

There's a lot of angry tech support dweebs in this thread. Embrace the rage, script monkeys.

Twiin- I am in agreement with you. I would have escalated to his supervisor myself.

:frogout:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Here's how I imagine this going down:

Rogers: "Throttling won't affect games because BAWWW OUR PROFITS LISTEN TO US"
CRTC: "OK! :thumbsup:"

ftfy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

But their highest tier isn't available at all to TekSavvy users yet... so, they don't have to give us access to it until the CRTC decides on pricing sometime before December 31st?
Welcome to Canada, would you like some Duopolic Rape? Just kidding, you don't get to choose.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Having congestion on TSI DSL it seems, anyone else showing symptoms? I'm on the 5/800 unlimited and I'm getting about .5/200 at the moment. I have a Static IP, so it shouldn't be throttled.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rouge, any even slightly possible chances of unlimited versions of those delicious 12/15/25 DSL pacakges coming out even in the not so near future? 5mbit is way too slow to be stuck on your whole life.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Okay, is anyone else honestly getting some bad throughput on TSI DSL lately? For the last four nights we've had pretty poo poo speeds, testing at anywhere from .8 to 2 mbit, when we have the 5mbit plan. We have a Static IP, so we shouldn't at least in theory, be getting throttled.

For reference, we are getting our full upload of 800kbps. So it's only affecting our DL speeds and giving us quite lovely ping to anything, even Ontario based Minecraft servers.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

And my internet is back to poo poo again. Seems to be a night thing.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

less than three posted:

I currently have Telus ETTS Internet service in my apartment (in my old room-mate's name.)

He moved out and so I called to order the service in my name. I asked if they could just provision it on an account in my name. Nope, have to send out a tech.

The equipment is already installed and I have service at the moment, but they need to send a tech out to do ______________ before it's my account/service. :raise:

I'm 95% sure the tech is going to either

a) Show up, be like "oh look you already have equipment. nothing for me to do here! :haw:" or

b) Take the perfectly good (and superior) equipment out and replace it with their newer shittier gear because ______________.

So I get to be on call Thursday ready to head over to my apartment at 30 minutes notice because they couldn't give me any specific time window the tech will be coming.

I've always been (and still am) happy with Telus' service, but this incident makes me :ughh:

edit: Bonus points if the tech brings new equipment and leaves the old stuff, which would bump up my 'Telus poo poo I don't use' collection to 2 wireless routers, an HDPVR and a digital box.

Can you sell it at all? Samart exists.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pweller posted:

That is quite possibly the worst haircut I've seen on a grown man.

I raise you David Dees, insane political conspiracy theorist, children's illustrator, and holocaust "investigator" denier.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I just set it up and it's working fine for my parents.

Also, moving to Vancouver, yay. Good internet here I come.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey, so I just moved out to Vancouver/Richmond, looking at my apartments and stuff this week, and wanted t ask about either Distributel/Teksavvy cable. If I get the 25/2 setup, will DOCSIS 2 modems work fine? Wiki says D2 supports up to 32Mbps, but I already know how accurate '100% with no problems' estimates are.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DarkJC posted:

If I were you I would just get a new DOCSIS 3 modem. As the wiki said, maybe a DOCSIS 2 will be just fine for now, but what if the speed of the package increases later? Just buy a solid DOCSIS 3 modem now and be set. Plus usually there's some kind of deal if you buy a modem from them at the time of activation, like a waived activation fee or something.

Distributel and TS only sell a D2 modem, so off to amazon/newegg I go then. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Hmm, Teksavvy's list of approved modems are all D2, this gonna cause any problems?

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2012

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I know this is a thread about internet access but if someone has a Wind phone and is having problems, give me a PM. I'm working for them now and actually work in the social media department so figuring out any issues you're having is just a part of my job.

Any questions I'd be glad to answer.

Wait what. Why did you leave Teksavvy exactly?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

In Canada? Nobody.

...well, that's not true. There's a company in B.C. whose name escapes me at this hour that's really fantastic to people (I know from former customers telling me when I was a CSR) and there are a few small start ups around the Kitchener/Waterloo area to look for. Otherwise, Teksavvy is still your best bet. If you're a cable subscriber and you're in a congested area, go with Cogeco and claim you're a business so you can get the business lines cap (it's what my roommate does here in Windsor). Otherwise, if you're in a low congestion area like VERTiG0 then the TekSavvy cable on Roger's lines is decent. However, Rogers hosed with Teksavvy quite badly around winter time so I could never trust them not loving the company over again.

I hear Shaw ain't bad outside of Ontario.

True, if I decided to have 130 a month too blow, I could have unlimited 250/25.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So I'm in a house with roommates, none f whom are particularly technologically capable beyond using their own stuff. We have MTS 20 (her de har, but gently caress if I'm going to sit under limits, I pull 1-2 TB a month with this 20mbps, and I'm not asking everyone else to pay up for 200 bucks for something that should be standard in 20 loving 13), and unfortunately, a lovely 2wire modem-router. Now sure, under any other circumstance, I'd grab a speedstream, burn that 2wire-pos with a propane torch in protest and set my little Asus RTN16 behind the SS in bridge. Unfortunately they also get tv from MTS. I don't believe phone service though. Only really wondering here if I shove the thing into bridge forcefully, it isn't going to cop out on our cable right?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

WOOHOO!!!

$43 a month unlimited. Time will tell how reliable it is.

Who exactly the gently caress did you go with in Windy shithole here? MTS doesn't even offer over 20mbps

I cannot read the words that are on the screens, ignore me.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

37th Chamber posted:

If you only use the DNS service, I've recently switched to https://adfreetime.com/ . It's only $1.99/month, 10 Netflix regions (and blocks subtitles on regions that force them), and blocks some ads.

Blah, paypal only again, why does everything I look at and like suddenly not be able to take a plain credit card?

My CC is blacklisted on Paypal due to a 1 dollar charge from like 2011. It's bullshit, I don't care if you like them. Shut up.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Yes, this is a problem, but it doesn't need to be my problem. It's like every other thing they blame on the incumbents from missed service visits, to botched installs, to major network fixes that take literal weeks to resolve, if they have so little control over their own business then why am I using them?

They used to offer a service that basically worked, and was cheaper and better than you could get elsewhere. That isn't the case anymore.

Praise be Oligopoly
Oligopoly our Lord

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Seems fine in the lower mainland.

That's 2am, you're waaaaaay out of anything approaching 'peaktime'. Try doing it again around 6-9pm your time and see then.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, looking at who's available as options when I get my own single apartment instead of rooming. Anyone ever heard of or tried unmetered.ca?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

They look like a chinese run telus/shaw reseller given their location, service areas and tv channels displayed on that front page.

Hmmph, sucks. Guess I'm limited to Teksavvy and Distributel huh?

E: That really kinda sucks actually, they have a DSL option with 10Mbps Upload, which neither TS or DTel have (5 limit at each). Really could use that, though I'd like to hear their service is legit first.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 16, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

At least here TS has a 25 down/10 up DSL option, it's what I'm using.

Where's that at? Edmonton has only got a 25/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jan posted:

Based on an earlier post, you're in Ontario? I think Electronic Box is also an option around there. e: Not anymore, I guess!

I'm about to ditch Distributel myself because they don't have a reasonable offering with 10Mbps upload. ElectronicBox and TekSavvy both have a 15/10 cable option now that's barely more expensive than my 10/1.

Heh,nope. Been living in Victoria, Winnipeg and now Eddy since then.