Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Is there going to be a streaming feed of this afternoons meeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
In an ideal world, this process will end with Bell getting smacked down hard.

In this world, they'll probably get UBB at Retail - 20%. Fuckers.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Oh I want to smack this fucker.

We're charging UBB to our wholesale customers, but they DON'T HAVE TO charge THEIR customers UBB.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
These questioners never connect the dots..

"Business users buy their own pipes and thus pay for what they use."

"You mean like small ISPs that you're wholesaling your last mile connectivity to?"

"No, that's totally different."

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
"Our top package is 100mbps!"

"How many minutes of usage is that with your top packages cap?"

Pick up the goddamn ball, Government!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Ya he's pretty consistent with his "messaging."

So much so that I can't stand to watch the interview, I also want to slap the poo poo out of the little toad.

The thing is, when someone just tries to spin you need to treat him like a prosecutor. Make him either lie to you or admit that his premise is wrong. Did GB do any of that on the interview? Did the host?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, I unironically believe Trailer Park Boys was a fantastic show. People just assume it's idiotic because of the trashiness of it.

Absolutely agreed - amazing show. I love how the actors did all promotion of it in character as well.

Last season blew though.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
That price is more than I pay for bandwidth, and I'm not an ISP. So ya, giant ripoff.

Somebody needs to smack these buggers down. I say nationalize the last miles.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I was in Montreal earlier this year on a lovely Bell connection..

Here's my lovely Riga, Latvia connection.

That's fiber in the basement. It's low end, you can go up to 500mbit. But that costs about the equivalent of $60/month. This connection costs $20.

Yes, former USSR kicks our internet rear end.

EDIT: No caps, no traffic shaping.

Backov fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 20, 2011

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Drakkus posted:

(I work for Shaw, and this is my OPINION, and no more)

I agree that the unlimited options appear to only be on the extreme ends (Low speed, unlimited data, or top speed, unlimited data), and that there is certainly a need for something in the middle.

However, I don't know if a flat +$ for unlimited would fly, since the data caps seem to be intended as a way to distribute costs in a way that *feels* fair, and a bigger pipe, if you're using it at peak, has a larger impact.

Now, I said FEELS fair for a reason, and I think that the public reaction to changes of this sort of something that HAS to be measured, and passing costs straight onto those who use the network during peak would, almost by definition, affect the most amount of people.

But, at the end of the day, if the caps are reasonable, most of the people going over them are in all likelyhood going to be contributing more than is average to peak usage, and I don't think it's unfair to charge heavy usage at peak more than the baseline.

I don't know you - but this framing of fairness and "has an impact" is bullshit.

When we talk about UBB we're not talking about anything but last mile. Teksavvy has its own connections (that it pays for, that afaik are NOT related to Bell or Shaw) past the last mile.

You appear to be (deliberately?) conflating bandwidth consumption past the last mile with actual bandwidth costs.

Anything but cost+ in this is just pure robbery. Nationalize that poo poo.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

The Sweetling posted:

Gonna sound like a scrub but I'll ask anyway: should I install DD-WRT or Tomato even if I don't need all the extra options? Will I notice any speed increases?

Some router firmware is not just slow, it's poo poo. For instance the DMZ/port forwarding on my crappy DLink doesn't actually work. I have to plug directly into the modem to get the ports to actually be exposed to the internet.

That's a bit of an extreme example, but I'd say 3rd party firmware is pretty important. I know I'll never buy a router again that doesn't let me install it.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

KillHour posted:

Apparently, all other companies need at least 25% Canadians on the board of directors. You guys are all kinds of hosed up.

That's to prevent us being owned by the US. We would prefer to be owned by the Chinese instead.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
There's a lot of angry tech support dweebs in this thread. Embrace the rage, script monkeys.

Twiin- I am in agreement with you. I would have escalated to his supervisor myself.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I'm on Teksavvy in Montreal, with a 25/10 DSL. I've got one of those Sagemcom 2864 modems, and up until recently it was working fine.

However, in the last couple weeks it will just randomly crash. I assume that's what's happening. It won't be able to open any new connections, although existing ones (like a Skype voice connection) will stick around.

Rebooting causes it to work again, for a while. It seems putting it under some load, like with bittorrent, is what causes it to die.

Is there any firmware fuckery I can do to this thing to make it not suck quite so much?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So in the opposite of the spirit of the thread.

They must have pushed a firmware fix to my Sagemcom thing, as it now happily will chug along with bittorrent open forever. Yay, Bell?

Nice to not have to reset the modem every 30 minutes or so while downloading.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

El Scotch posted:

That sounds useful; where did you find that? My Sagecom's being a little poo poo these days.

What, the reset or the firmware patch? The reset is in the control panel. The firmware I had nothing to do with, it just magically started working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

infernal machines posted:

What version of the firmware do you have? You can see it in the About page.

It's FAST2864_v6740S.