Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I just talked to Teksavvy about service in Alberta... I can get 2 DSL dry lines bonded through MLPPP so theoretically ill be getting 12/2 but realistically im thinking 10/1.4. Its gonna cost me about $115 a month and they are giving me unlimited download. I am lucky that we don't have to use Bell's backbone, but we are stuck with Telus. Well have to see how they act with the unlimited package Teksavvy is offering.

I'm with Shaw now and my roommate and I are heavy internet users, so we normally go through Shaw's 100gb cap on the extream package in a week thanks to Steam ( I HATE YOU STEAM SALES ) and software/mmo/game patches and youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I looked into Novus, they are only in BC from what I could tell.

Looks like Shaw also wrecked my telco panel when they installed their equipment.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Why is it when i read about Bell's download insurance, the first thing that popped into my head was some mobster roughing up a shopkeeper for accident insurance.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

less than three posted:

You missed the extra mandatory fees and included 'new client only' discounts.

To get the actual price you have to choose a package, click 'pricing details' and then click 'See full offer details.'

loving three hyperlinks deep to see what you'll actually be paying.

Essential Plus
2Mbps down
800 Kbps up
2GB transfer
$35.90

Performance/Fibe 6
6Mbps down
1 Mbps up
25GB transfer
$45.90

Fibe 12
12Mbps down
1 Mbps up
50GB transfer
$55.90

Fibe 16
16Mbps down
1 Mbps up
75GB transfer
$65.90

Fibe 25
25Mbps down
7 Mbps up
75GB transfer
$74.90

Don't forget this wonderful thing:

Want it tomorrow? Order before 3 p.m. and get hooked up as early as tomorrow. A single $74.95 fee applies no matter how many services we install. Talk to us now to schedule an appointment.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

less than three posted:

For any of you who switched to Telus (or remember their PR guy saying on TV that they wouldn't be charging overages.)

I love that. A month ago "We wont charge for Overages!" they get a ton of signups, most probably in three year contracts, and since it wasn't in writing 'Lol, just kidding'

They got to use the CBC for free advertising as well..

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion+Usage+based+billing+time+come/4180711/story.html

Oh, stories like this make me laugh..

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I was reading that in Nova Scotia they are putting in fiber that can pull 170 mbit or something like that.. whats the point of a service that can blow through your monthly cap in under an hour

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Nitr0 posted:

Teksavvy is available anywhere Telus is. If 25 telus is available then 25 teksavvy is available. They're just a reseller.

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Squibbles posted:

And same with Cable. Shaw will do up to 100 or probably even 250mbps in my area but they won't let Teksavvy do more than 25 anywhere on cable as far as I know. Also I think teksavvy is still using those older docsis 2.0 modems rather than the docsis 3 ones that shaw uses.

At some points during the fiasco of my attempted Teksavvy setup, I swear the Telus techs were intentionally messing up the job. It took 9 or 10 service calls to get the line working. When it finally started to work, the speed was so slow and inconstant. I only ended up wasting three months and several hundred dollars of service fees to Teksavvy. I don't blame them in the end, but their hands are tied based on what Telus does.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I've wondered why this is... Rogers here offers up to 100, but Teksavvy only offers up to 25 on Rogers' lines. Why is this? I also thought that they were supposed to have access to access of equal quality?

My guess is that they only grant teksavvy access to the analog side of the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Guigui posted:

Even if your Router is password protected, it does not take much effort nowadays to crack a simple WEP-encrypted key and access someone's BELL123 wireless network. Unless these specific routers are manually logging each MAC address that uses its bandwidth and set to only accept cetain MAC addresses so that one could use that in their defence.

Heck, the last time I left Union station heading East, I was able to pick up 8 wireless access points with my flimsy laptop antennea that had no encryption whatsoever. Seems that WPA2 is still rather rare.

I mean, what's to stop someone from building a more powerful wireless receiver / antennae in the 2.4 - 5 gzh band, pointing it at a condo suite, and gorging themselves like a tapeworm in Rob Ford's intestines on the delicious, sweet free bandwidth?

You don't even need to build a powerful receiver. a Pringles Cantenna will to get wifi signal at a decent range, though it is more directional

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 14, 2012