Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

univbee posted:

In fact, these limits wouldn't bother me so much if you took the Australian and New Zealand ISP's approach and had certain popular but bandwidth-heavy services set up separate and in a way that doesn't count towards the limits. Some Australian ISPs hosted Linux ISOs, Steam games and iTunes stuff so that downloads through them were exempt, which goes a hell of a long way towards innovation.

This doesn't help innovation, it's a roadblock for innovators. Now instead of just having a good idea and getting it online you have to negotiate with ISPs. As an example Good Old Games, a Steam competitor, will have a hidden tax on their service imposed by the preferential treatment Steam receives.

univbee posted:

I wouldn't even mind if there were limits but they were crazy-high, something so that if I'm saturating a 15 megabit connection 24/7 I do get a notice and risk having my service shut off. But like my previous screenshot showed, I DOUBLED my 100 gig download limit in five loving days; if my bill goes up tenfold month-to-month without my habits changing, that's really the ISP's fault.

I'd be happy if they just let ISPs make the policy. Instead Bell/Rogers are trying to get around their obligation to sell wholesale access by claiming maintenance issues. If they aren't allowed to dictate policy to the ISPs for maintenance issues (And I don't really think there are maintenance issues, it's just the particular loophole they're using to mess with the competition) the independant ISPs will happily offer increased bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

univbee posted:

The main thing with GoG is that their games are a hell of a lot smaller than Steam's; the biggest game on that site is like a 3.5 gig download and very few of their titles are over a gig. This is a huge difference from Steam where they have more than a few single games in the 25+ gig range.

Fine, say Direct2Drive instead. The point still stands.