Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So my brother and I are home for the summer, and between us and my parents it seems like our Rogers cap of 95GB (Don't even get me started on how they keep increasing their speeds and lowering their monthly caps, our 95GB cap is grandfathered) is going to be stretched pretty thin. I was monitoring just typical day to day usage the last 3 days and we're already averaging >3GB a day, and that's not including any out of the ordinary big downloads. Admittedly that was over the weekend, but still.

So I started looking into alternative service and Acanac looks pretty promising, just wondering if any of you in here have first hand experience with them? It seems like it's too good to be true, but maybe I'm just blinded by the price rape we've been receiving from Rogers all these years? Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

edit: just spent some time reading the last few pages, noticed Acanac has some customer support issues. Maybe Distributel is where I should look.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Plug directly into your modem and check the speed. Easiest way to tell if its your router or not. If your speeds are still poo poo it sounds like you're on a congested node.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I was gonna say, 10 GB in a month from a desktop computer really doesn't seem like all that much. You say "a few youtube videos" but they can eat up a ton of bandwidth, especially if they're defaulting to HD.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers has it but it really doesn't last for very long. Seems like maybe 5 seconds.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My parents recently got an Apple TV and Netflix and finally realized how lovely Rogers' bandwidth caps are. My dad switched to Teksavvy and is paying pretty much the same price he paid for Rogers for more than twice the speed and 3x the bandwidth cap (they were getting 10 mbps on Rogers with a 95GB cap).

All Rogers would offer him is a cap upgrade to 150GB.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
How come TekSavvy Cable upload speeds are so anemic? I'm assuming this is something they're limited to by Rogers?

1mbit seems kind of pathetic when I'm getting 28 down. I'm not asking for synchronous here, but you'd think 2mbit up would be the minimum these days.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If I were you I would just get a new DOCSIS 3 modem. As the wiki said, maybe a DOCSIS 2 will be just fine for now, but what if the speed of the package increases later? Just buy a solid DOCSIS 3 modem now and be set. Plus usually there's some kind of deal if you buy a modem from them at the time of activation, like a waived activation fee or something.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry you had a bad experience with Teksavvy dude but contrary to what you might think that doesn't mean the company is universally evil. gently caress ups happen.

Personally I've had nothing but a great experience with them since I switched over in March.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I lump Distributel into the "Acanac" tier of support. (read: poo poo)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yep, this is why I just ported to Virgin without telling Rogers a drat thing. The port went through immediately, as soon as we stuck the sim card in I was already up and running.

If Rogers tries to bill me for service they can't have possibly provided they can deal with the CCTS.

edit: oops, this isn't the wireless thread! You confused me, Ensign Expendable :v:

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 6, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I imagine the systems these guys use have been slapped together by the lowest bidder, who I could definitely see making basic mistakes like forgetting names can have anything other than A-Z in them.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Canada's reliable network.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Well due to the most recent copyright bill the most they can collect against someone found guilty is $5000 since it's non-commercial infringement (and since thats the maximum more than likely it would be much less than that).

I'd bet they're putting this all together to hopefully get some people to settle for thousands out of ignorance.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Am I right in assuming that the speed increase is downlink only? Going from 28 to 35 down is nice but still being at 1mbps up is getting ridiculous. I understand that this is probably a Rogers/etc. limitation, but in the age of dropbox and cloud storage how much longer can the ISPs continue to starve us of upload speed?

I'm not really asking for symmetrical access here, hell even just an increase to 2 mbps up would be nice.

edit: looking into it more it looks like the bump from 28->35 would also bump upload speeds from 1->3! Hoping this is true

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 3, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's really not worth paying $5 a month to keep your email address, just change your email on the services that you use and then dump it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That's an issue with any ISP that's not one of the big three unfortunately. They're at the mercy of the big companies when it comes to support requests, which typically means a minimum 3 day wait time for any issue which requires a rogers/bell/telus tech.

vvvv FWIW: I've had no issues with Teksavvy, I'm sure once you're past the hookup stage things will be fine. I can definitely understand the frustration though, I was pretty worried I was going to go through something similar when I was switching over to Teksavvy from Rogers.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 13, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My guess is that they want to finish doing the maintenance first and just be able to flip the switch on the upgrades at a later date.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Same here, across both Rogers and Teksavvy. I just assumed it was on Steam's end, never really had much time to spend to bother troubleshooting all of that. It's fast enough for me to not really care.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I had an unrelated problem recently (corrupted images in my browser as if they were only partially downloaded and corrupted downloads among other things), doing that same thing completely fixed my issue as well. Those new drivers are terrible.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Does that $33/month 'ongoing credit' ever disappear? That's what I'd be afraid of.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

slidebite posted:

For those of you that haven't received the email, Teksavvy is doing some system upgrades in the wee hours over the next few days so your connection may go down.

This only applies to those people who receive the email. It's not for every single Teksavvy customer. I recevied an email like this a few weeks ago for upgrades in my area, which had downtime in March.

edit: vvvv No worries. For reference, in my experience the internet was not down for 100% of the times they listed.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 8, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Shaw isn't even DSL service is it? You're comparing apples and oranges, you don't pay dry loop for TSI cable either.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

What is Speedboost exactly?

For the first few seconds of a download, you'll get an increased speed vs what your line is normally rated for. How many seconds depends on the implementation I believe.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, if you can get Rogers, you can get Start or TekSavvy at this point. It's all anecdotal of course, but I've had few issues with TS (K-W here) - but they do have pretty terrible customer service; when we moved into our condo they were convinced we couldn't get service in this building. As it turns out, their postal code db wasn't updated since this is a new building and it has it's own postal code.

I don't really see how that qualifies as terrible customer service. Pretty much anyone you tried to get service from would encounter the same issue. It's the downside of moving into a brand new building.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Weren't they already collecting this data to provide service? The only change in the privacy policy is that they now intend on using the data for purposes other than providing service. The opt-out is just worded in the most confusing way possible.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Slim to none, most likely they require you to give 30 days notice for cancellation anyway.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What's the bandwidth cap they're pushing on the 25/25?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They're also terrible because it may not even be the account holder responsible for paying the bill who sees the warning, but Rogers just shows the warning once for anyone who's using the connection.

Why not just a standard email notification you can opt in or out of? Better yet, why not a tool that anyone who's using the connection can view to know exactly how much usage is remaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If it's anything like their current VOD it'll be poo poo. Expect unskippable commercials interleaved into everything.