Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ugh, NCIX news loving kills me, but isn't surprising at all. They were my main tech provider for ages, and all of my builds have had parts from them.

How long did they own DirectCanada for? My build process was always "find poo poo on NCIX because it has a usable website, search model numbers on directCanada and buy at a $150 discount", and I was very sad when I got the same garbage service from both of them during my last build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I swear Shaw is doing poo poo with torrents now. Despite their constant swearing up and down that they're not throttling or shaping traffic, torrents have gone to poo poo lately. Now I think they're just blocking/throttling when it detects certain trackers. I can torrent anything legit, linux distros, etc, just fine, almost as fast as my connection will allow. As soon as it's something a little more "fun", speeds are poo poo. Tested this on dozens of torrents at this point. Boring, everyday poo poo = fast as gently caress. Fun stuff = slow as poo poo.

Tried multiple VPN's, OpenVPN, different configs in the torrent client, ports, port forwarding, different mixes of TCP/UDP, nothing makes a difference. The only thing that seems to make a difference is which trackers are associated with which torrent.

Have you tried downloading a legit thing from a sketchy tracker? They're not exactly known for their proliferation of seeders.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Anyone have experience with Frontline? My condo board is considering putting them in and especially with the deal they're offering so that they can get a foothold, I'm super interested in switching off Bell.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Fibrestream is great and super horny to get into any condos they can. Can also confirm that condo boards are incredibly resistant to having fiber installed for ??reasons?? especially when you approach them as a renter

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

The big banks don't have capacity for full WFH either :ssh:

I've heard that at least for one big bank, there are 'tiers' of employee requirements. T0 gets access whenever they want for bank resources. T1 employees get access from 6am to 8 (9?)am and 4-5pm. Hope you only need that much time to answer your emails, I guess?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

750/750 seems like the best value tbh (lol if you ever pay full shot)

I know my consumption definitely expanded to meet my ability when I had gigabit - streaming was nicer, torrents were seeded to gently caress, 4gb poorly cached docker images didn't take three million years to bring down, etc

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh wicked looks like TSI literally updated their availability for me today - last I checked my address only had access to the 300mbps package.

Glad you called that out, I thought I was gonna be forced to give rogers money to get those sweet jiggabits

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

It's better because, while some of your money is always going to go to a terrible ISP (unless you're on new fiber), at least with Teksavvy a non-zero amount of it is going towards lobbying for better internet

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah absolutely can't confirm, I've had fibe in two different buildings and it was not only the most stable connection I've had, but the most consistent at achieving the contract speeds :shrug:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm honestly so mad about my current internet situation - there is bell fibe across the street but I'm in a condo townhouse meaning it has to be run to a tech room first and while there's a plan in place to do a further fiber rollout in my area, COVID has set it back significantly. Thus, I have to use Rogers-via-Teksavvy which, while "gigabit", is still 500mbps on a good day and laggy/jittery as all hell.

Like, I obviously am not gonna get use out of the full 1024mbps but better and cheaper internet is literally less than 20m from my front door :tizzy:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I am trying to get bell to run fiber to my condo (townhouses) and I swear to god it's like pulling teeth trying to convey what I need to the sales people. In like 5 calls I've found one person who understood and gave me the information I needed, but then told me I need to have a representative of the condo corp call. The property manager called, and bounced off the person they got in contact with, who again failed to understand the context.

it's right across the road there is conduit on our side JUST GIVE ME THE drat INTERNET :tizzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh my god they're rolling out FTTH in my neighbourhood.

Not as in "hey you're on the list now", but as in "hey we are here knocking on your door to let you know that we'll be digging under the boulevard for the next while"

come on bell gimme that sweet signup deal and 1500/1500