Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any spill over on the horizon from the states FCC classification ruling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a good VPN recommendation? Looking to finally jump the shark for Netflix and other activities. Just something cheap and reliable to use at home.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Straight up get a VPN. Went with NordVpn for 3$ a month and it's been working great. Lots of other bonuses that come with a VPN service too.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

VPNs have as much guarantee as the link I just provided which I was hoping someone could provide testimony for.

Smartflix is pretty questionable. I like it, but they are working off of either a chrome or Firefox API which limits them to 720p. Also depending on region it will potentially be locked, and the last time u looked into it the sounded like unlocked the issue could be next to impossible.

I will say their premise is amazing though. They basically unified every region of Netflix into one. Something that no one else has really jumped on.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is it the sort of thing where you tape a rock to them and return to sender?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You know it. You can call Telus and get them to double check that your address is already set up for it. They'll enable it, likely send a line tech to replace your modem, then boom you're done.

Edmonton... I'm hosed for service here in Calgary. Pretty much capped at 25 down in varsity

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

No problem fellow Edmonton goon.

I thought Shaw rolled out their Wide Open 150 in Calgary as well? Maybe see if they can give you a good reason why you can't get it.

Depends on area in the city I think. My dad jumped in the new shaw deal. I know varsity has a weird node problem though. Would murder for a 150/150 plan. Rocking a cheapo teksavvy plan at the moment so I can't really complain

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is there a timeline on this for rollout?
What does this actually amount too?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Moving in Feburary and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any to investigate Internet. I'm with teksaavy in Calgary at the moment 25 down cable unlimited cap for about $45 a month. Is there anything else floating around that would beat that?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

urf posted:

I am pretty happy with this switch.
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just doesn't seem real that I am going to end up paying 30bux a month for this.

Getting so burned in Calgary compare to you guys. Keep looking at new plans but it's really hard to beat me current 30 plan with teksavvy. Would murder for these sorts of speeds

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

priznat posted:

Future shop ex employees gotta go somewhere!

Pretty much man. I used to fix computers there and the memex by me is full of old people I worked with

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone in Alberta able to tell me about lightspeed? I'm on a solid teksavvy plan, but 75 down unlimited seems really good at $40

https://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/cable-internet/

E: gently caress it, I went for them. Really good deal

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 21, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Lemme know how that goes.

Pros over the phone. Sounds like they're the same deal as teksavvy. Use Shaw or whoever is in the area.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Checking back in with the $40 for 75 down deal from Lightspeed. Internet is solid, scheduling the initial transfer with them was amateur hour and left me without internet for the weekend, but my speeds are looking real good now that it's up

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Man, just how many customers did Wind lose to the deals of 2016 & '17?

Me, my wife, and a bunch of other people I know jumped on the public mobile deal. Probably a big part of it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

You should be fine on any website like that as long as you pay through Paypal correct?

Well I mean, PayPal hasn't exactly been hacker free historically

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, does anyone have any experience with Lightspeed? They are beating TS on price for cable wholesale service.

I use them and like them. Getting the first initial setup done with them was super amateur hour. But their price is real good and I havent had any service ossues

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Shaw just decided to break service for South calgary for 15+ hours without any response on timelines :a2m:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nitr0 posted:

Just drop to 75. $5 a month for Internet yes please

Yeah 75 is a ton unless your constantly ripping 4k streams.

Just take the extra $70 a month and throw it into some other rad treat

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Remember everybody, we vote this month! :pseudo:

:negative:

If a party came forward promising a national Telco it would honestly swing my vote pretty hard at this point

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Can anyone on Lightspeed tell me what fibre flex is?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/spacex-high-speed-internet-1.5618918

Oh man I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics that the big three are going to spout to try and convince us that this is a bad idea.

Rough luck for big 3, but they do have some pretty rough implications for big observatory telescopes to my knowledge

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

The real move is to buy office equipment when things get rotated wherever you work

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Blown away that they still don't have an ETA and cause

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Are their plans monthly now instead of 90 day increments? Meh. If it were ten bucks less it'd be worth it. Alas.

This not being grandfathered and locked down is also real inconvenient

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:911:

drat I would have tried to setup some drinks had I known. I was in Vegas for a couple weeks covering blackhat/def con earlier this month.

Yet again reminded that you got me on these cursed forums all those years ago

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

It's just that the audible sites are basically exactly the same, so I don't understand what's holding Amazon back from being competent.

Honestly probably churn. From everything I've heard their a complete dumpster fire of a company to be a software developer. Doesn't shock me that they've been riding the boon from being "first to market" as a big online realtor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

One of you fuckers just hurry up and make goon-tel already