Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I dont know if its because everyone is out and being drunk, but my teksavvy speeds have gone all insane today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367069765.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367070965.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
15/1 here, though I work from home, anything less would be sad.

I'd kill for some of those new shaw plans coming down, but totally wrong area.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

Well after dealing with tekksavvy for 2 days on orders i can't even believe i bothered with this. Now i'm out $300 i wont have service for upto 2 weeks and i get a lovely old modem that i will have to throw away in a year. Really there is no reason at all to bother with this company.

One bad thing happens, we don't have the full details of either side, and we're supposed to abandon a great company? Sorry, not happening.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Installs AFAIK are all fubard with your local major ISP. So if it was cable, rogers/etc is the one at fault for not putting the line in.

I opted to buy my own modem, the price paid was less than what I would have paid them + the discount.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.

Now that teksavvy finally got to installing it it seems to be a decent enough connection 25/2.5 unlimited for $55 isn't too bad.

I would kill for you're upload. I'm on a 15/1 and we're reguarlly getting 30~, but we never get much more upload :(

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

blah_blah posted:

Isn't any sort of speed like 30mbps just the result of powerboost?

Possibly, i've seen spikes into the 60mbps range for a few seconds and then down to 20-30 sustained though.

I can easily sustain 2~ MBps down total on large number of trasnfers with my speed remaining mostly useable for browsing/yt.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

You do understand the concept of up to 15mbit right? They don't sell you a guaranteed 15mbit.

If anything, your speeds would be similar the same as if you went with your local cable provider and you'd get poo poo on more thoroughly.

It can be a few things with cable, node congestion (your area), cabling (a bitch to troubleshoot in a large building), or even your hardware.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

Welp.

Not really a lie, lots of ISP require you to plug your computer directly into the modem to check to see if there is a problem. Often it is an issue with a third party router before its the modem. Not always, but it is a valid thing to check and on every big isp's list of things to make you do for the 1000th time.

Did you reboot your modem?
Did you reboot your router?
Did you try bypassing the router and hooking directly into the modem?
Have you rebooted your computer?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

The speed test is fine as a diagnostic tool if there's some follow up, but just as a"well, I guess we're done now" step is annoying. I can't plug my pc directly in because it's on a different floor, and I have a cable that reaches from the pc to the router, and another cable from the router to the modem. No mega cable to bridge the two.

Cannot take pc to modem? CAnnot bring modem to pc?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

I can't believe you guys are looking to castigate me for not having a 60 foot ethernet cable or a female-female adapter on hand. Seriously?

We're giving you poo poo for not being willing to follow simple scripted instructions that every isp will ask you to check eventaully before sending a tech out.

It is 100% impossible to move the modem upstairs?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vergeh posted:

Welp, September 8th is the last day I have Rogers Internet. MAN, was the woman who took my call insufferable. When I told her I was leaving, she challenged me with "And do you think you're actually going to be using 300 gigabytes a month?"

Also, the switch is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Rogers requires 30 days cancellation notice, and Teksavvy can't book more than 7 days in advance.

YEs, the hell I do, why do you think I'm switching.

IS the correct answer.

:D some people seem to have been able to avoid disconnection. Try the DSL reports teksavvy forums?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
You can push a few gb a day using a torrent client limited fairly hard. Its not that hard to do it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Koine posted:

I'm moving to a new place in a week and I want to set up Teksavvy, but I'm having trouble deciphering their website. All I want is speedy with a big cap. Should I be getting DSL or Cable? Which plan?

Big cable has no cap, but not super duper high speeds.
Most of the DSL packages have the same cap.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Lone Rogue,

Any chance of higher cable speeds soon?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vintersorg posted:

While we're on that topic, is there any free way to get the US Netflix up here? I know there is some $4.99 thing that will get it all setup but if I can go in and tinker with stuff, that would be preferred. I just signed up for it and while it's nice to have some of these older movies, the lack of anything new is kind of a let down. Plus the US store got all the Star Trek's (minus DS9, which is coming later) and we got loving jack poo poo.

You need a proper VPN tunnel that will redirect ALL of your traffic.

Right now I have a US netflix account. I get canadian netflix while in canada. I am peeved.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lone Rogue posted:

I hope none of you guys who are TSI customers got hit with the outage in Ajax-Salem (Pickering). That was some of the hardest calls I've ever had to take. "Yes, there is an outage. No, we don't know when it'll be fixed. No, we don't why it's happening. Yes, Rogers still has access but TSI customers using the Rogers lines do not. Oh, you would like to cancel? Okay..."

That all said, every time a person would call about their Internet being down and how they, "make their living on the Internet as a business" yet despite running a business on the Internet they have zero form of back-up if their Internet went down in the form of a speed stick, 56K connection they pay for or even a freakin' friends place they can goto and use the Internet until it went back up, I have very little sympathy for.

FEw years ago, I was in the cleveland area. Really bad storm, tore down power/cable lines.

After 2 days we had power back, after 6 days we had interwebs/tv back. I spent 3 days at a hotel, since i made more than enough money to outweigh the cost of being without internet. There werent any close wi-fi free spots. One of the days i chilled out in the parkling lot of the hotel I was close to. Since their WIFI extended that far and I already had the password.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

Any idea how that actually works?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

You use their DNS server and it redirects for you. I've been using the service for around half a year now and can't complain.

I had no trouble setting up a US Netflix account with Entropay, but I haven't figured out how to do Hulu Plus since they require a US billing address. As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy US$ pre-paid credit cards from somewhere, but that's not worth the trouble. I can just use the free Hulu service from my PC.

Was just curious, I mean I have access to US based dns servers. If that all they're doing surely a few changes to my personal servers would get by that.

FWIW, dont pay for hulu plus. You still get commercials.

quote:

I just setup another Netflix account without any issue, it knew my CC was entered so I didn't get another free trial. No big deal. I tested it out and I have Star Trek up and it switched to HD!! Not even the loving Canadian one did this, I watched Exit Through the Give Shop earlier today and it never switched up.
US Netflix doesn't downgrade the quality to sac any of its bandwidth. If you're on caps be very careful.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
As someone on TSI cable in the toronto area I've never seen that 80kbps download limit. When the gf was on bell, I her torrents wouldn't go faster than 100k tops. We see 1.7-2.0 mbps on our torrent/web downloads.

I've never had issues with any online games so far.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Okay, I'm getting these results:

But a hell of a lot of crap is loading wayyy too slow for me these past few days, like this video, f'rinstance:

http://www.dorkly.com/video/23151/dorkly-bits-smash-bros-fatalities

My OS is on a SSD, so no need to defrag. Other crap seems to be working fine... what am I missing?

youtube is being throltted or you've got a bad connection to it. You can try an open dns server.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vintersorg posted:

Is it possible to "upgrade" my modem? I have had the same one with Shaw for about 4 or more years, it works fine and all. I get my top speeds but would a new one give me any benefits?

Do you have a package that is over 50mbps down? Is your modem docsis 2 or 3?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vintersorg posted:

I have the Extreme package, 25 down, 2.5 up. Docsis 2 but I am at work, cannot verify that part.

Unless you're going to upgrade to something bigger and better, (speed wise) a new modem is unlikely to help.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Brace posted:

I tried running my cable directly into the modem and I couldn't connect to the internet at all.

Did power cycle the modem after plugggin your computer in?

unplug modem, change cables, wait 30 more seconds, plug it in more.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
There is a post on the TSI facebook page about internet speeds being increased for certin areas? Is this for cable/dsl and from what to what?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lone Rogue posted:

It's for High Speed DSL 12, 16 and 25.

Sadness :(

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It is all about node congestion, and its going to happen to both bell/rogers/tsi people in their area. If DSL with bell is congested, then dont switch to TSI dsl, you're likely going to hit the same loving problem.

I used to ave issues at my old house, between 4pm to 8pm, i would barely get 1/1, after 8 my speeds went up, around midnight i was geting my normal 20-25/1. Moved out to my parrents for a bit, never had an issue. If your node is congested there aint poo poo that can be done unless the ISP wants to get off its rear end and fix it :/

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Been having some dns issues for the last 48 or so hours. Any issues in Mississauga for TSI/Rogers cable?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Guitarchitect posted:

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

Its not like they wouldn't mind waving fees that they charge themselfs, the costs your paying to get your cable up and running? Yea those go to rogers, dsl to bell.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Have him buy his own domain name, run it though google apps (50/yr). Best solution.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

DuckConference posted:

How does it work? I see that they use custom DNS servers, does it redirect you to a caching proxy they run or something when you hit a supported URL?

I believe they run a custom geo-location database to always identify their customers to the targeted zone of the website. Since the geolocation reports a valid acepted location, you don't get locked out.

I'd kill for a reasonable internet service with decent upload speeds in canada that is also not stupidly capped for bw.

iLikeMidgets posted:

Been using unblock-us at router level as well for acouple of months and it's been pretty flawless. It's "set it and forget it" type of magic.

Same, though I had some issues with one of their dns servers, for some reason. I requested a different set and since then its worked fine 99% of the time. The wii seems to be a bit bugged, but I'm guessing that is the wii netflix app, and not so much their service.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

This really depends where you live.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-100/

100/10 is rather good internet now the cap usage isn't the best but there is an unlimited package in the 250/15 level i can't really think of a reason you need 250 down for a house but they have it.

I'm in Mississauga when I am in canada, and will be for the forseable future. I'm pretty sure shaw isn't in our area.

DarkJC posted:

How come TekSavvy Cable upload speeds are so anemic? I'm assuming this is something they're limited to by Rogers?

1mbit seems kind of pathetic when I'm getting 28 down. I'm not asking for synchronous here, but you'd think 2mbit up would be the minimum these days.

TekSavvy cable is limited by the ISP's. If you look at rogers own packages, their 75mb down package, is only 2mbit up.

priznat posted:

What are some other sites to check out other than the usual ones for someone experiencing US DNS access for the first time?

My list so far:
  • Netflix
  • Hulu - disappointing, only the last 5 episodes without being hulu plus? weak.
  • Amazon - will they let you download movies/music or do they go by your CC information to lock you out?
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • NHL Gamecentre - screw you, regional blackouts!

Any other good recs?

For most amazon's digital services, its all credit card stuff that I am aware of. I've had to use a proxy of some sort, a few times. Same with Origin. (though my credit cards are US, not canadian).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

rawrr posted:

Based on what I've read, the DNS server will actually point a URL to a proxy if it determines that the URL leads to a location-sensitive site. So for example, if you go to netflix.com, it won't resolve to the netflix server IP, but instead to an unblock us proxy.

I don't know if Amazon is super strict on their region restrictions. I was able to buy a downloadable game using a Canadian credit card, and I had no problems watching the streams during my free prime trial.

e: annoyingly, there are some movies on netflix Canada that aren't available on netflix US. Fortunately, the mac interface to switching DNS servers is drag and drop, whereas on my windows desktop, I had to reenter the IP every time.

unblock us uses geoip location tables to falseify reports. There isn't any other magic to it.

So when someone goes to netflix.com out of the us, with unblock us. Netflix queries the users dns servers to get it to report the users location, unblockus just reports everyone as in the USA. Thus, it works. Its not magic.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

oh i was ready for the $200 pre billed and everything was fine on the first call it was the next $150 pre billed and the following trainwreck of installation that ruined it for me.

The installation from your local telco that TSI has no control over?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Paul Coffey posted:

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!

Its really not that big of a deal. If netflix has a serious problem with unblock us they'll fix it (somehow).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, imgur is inaccessible too which makes reddit pretty useless. I can say that my parents DSL connection in Montreal and my cable connection in Kitchener are both affected.

Turn down your MTU to something lower than 1500, like 1450, for some weird rear end reason when I was in Toronto area after i turned my MTU down imgur started working just fine.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It took me 4 calls in total so far to get moving/speed change done with teksavvy. They've credited my account for the next billing cycle, but somehow I doubt they're going to actually credit me.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh, I'm getting unlimited internet from TSI. It was Shaw who was trying to sell me on a $45/10Mbit/150GB (we'll never charge you for overage, but won't provide a promise in writing, also TSI lies about their speed it's actually 7Mbit) as an alternative to TSI's $45/25Mbit/Unlimited plan.

Are you on DSL or cable?

If you're on DSL, you might be too far away to get the highest speeds.
If you're on cable, your node might be oversaturated.

Either way its lovely.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I'd suggest looking at the Cable package, unless its unavailable for your area. Though if its in someone elses name now, you might want to check to see how much it will cost to move the account, vs created a new account.

Had to pay some non trivial amount to get the account moved to my gf's new apartment.

TSI cable speeds in Mississauga have been pretty steady on the cable.

Good luck.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I use unblock us with Netflix. Unblock us is nice and spoken well of in this thread generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MeestarK posted:

Moving from Thunder Bay where I currently have 100Mbps from Shaw to either Mississauga or maybe Brampton. Primary uses are Usenet and light to moderate gaming. Whats my best options in these areas? Does exact neighbourhood matter?

I'm sorry for the loss of your amazing internet pipe, welcome to Rogers, Bell, or TSI, at least in Mississauga. No clue whats going on in Brampton.

I've had TSI's cable packages at two places, and aside from some wonky network problems (mostly rogers fault) I didn't have major issues with their services after I made sure I had a non poo poo router.