Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

To be honest I switched my DNS back over for Canadian Netflix a couple weeks ago to watch something on there and haven't bothered to switch it back. It's vastly improved from what it was like, with a lot of good stuff that isn't on the USA one even.

It's nice having the option, of course.

I did the same a while back, but I've recently started using US Netflix again. They pulled all of Star Trek from Canadian Netflix... except TNG and the lovely TNG movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

My understanding (from random industry types Tweeting) is that they did this because Bell outbid them for the Canadian online rights and it'll be on CraveTV instead.

Competition, etc.

Thank you, Bell. I definitely wanted to change my TV and internet services to a completely new provider AND pay for another video-on-demand service just so I could have the pleasure of watching Deep Space Nine on my computer when I get a Star Trek urge.

Fucksakes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Except you have to be on Bell to use it, which requires me to not have Shaw cable and not live in Vancouver.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This kind of bullshit should be illegal.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mewse posted:

My Shaw bill went up, I'm on 25 Mb, went from $60 to $67 in Manitoba

Exact same thing here in Vancouver. Sigh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

No idea. I don't even have any idea what software that is, so I'm inclined to say "artist's depiction" and the artist behind it has no idea how big movies actually are (or what MP4 and MKV containers are).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

slidebite posted:

While I agree the Canadian content is much improved from launch there are tons of things in the US we don't have in Canada which we like. Food Network shows for example.

It's confusing as all hell to me that neither Canadian nor US Netflix have the Battlestar Galactica reboot but UK Netflix does. poo poo, it was *filmed* here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just wish ISPs would get rid of all the telco cruft and wire Cat6 from a box on the side of my house to the room opposite the wall that the box is on so I can just plug in a real goddamn router, console into it, set up DHCP (or a static if I'm paying for one), make sure I can ping out, then set up a switch and all the actual network poo poo I want.

But then they couldn't control what ports I have incoming connections and stuff, so y'know. That's not gonna happen.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Telus hasn't been tracking my data usage on my Internet 50 for four months now. The usage constantly reads 0 GB on the account page.

I am incredibly confused, but not displeased. Has this happened to anyone else? I think it happened after I turned the bridge port on on my modem...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

How's Lightspeed for dry loop DSL? I'm maxed out at 50/10 on Telus in Saanich and they're claiming to be able to do 100/20, but I've never gone outside the big three ISPs. I have no idea what to expect.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

8ender posted:

We'd hit the road in the finest 91' Chevy Beretta GM ever made

Aww yeah, Chevy Beretta. First car I ever owned :hellyeah:

On-topic: augh Telus please come literally half a kilometre west and lay some fibre.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Still no word on when Saanich is getting fibre, despite Oak Bay right next door having it. :sigh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

TekSavvy said they're upgrading my service from a 400gb cap to unlimited at no extra cost. :getin:

Got a similar email from Shaw recently. Bout loving time Internet 150 became unlimited.

(yes yes I know, I have Shaw cable internet, I am the worst)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MemoryExpress seems to have opened a store in Langley since I've been gone.

By the time they open one in Victoria I'm sure I'll have moved somewhere else.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaw, stop rebooting your loving CMTSes twice every other night. Some of us on Vancouver Island aren't old folks in bed by 5pm :argh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Rogers is gonna buy out Shaw within two years.

This will confuse the hell out of anyone in BC who still says "my rogers cable" and then corrects themselves to "my shaw cable".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Telus straight up isn't going to be putting FTTH in my town until probably 2022 because of stupid bureaucratic problems with the city council or something. Does anyone know if you Shaw will put in business DOCSIS 3.1 at a residential location? I have the urge for more upload speed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Update: they apparently can just slap in business gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 service at a residence. On a distinctly related note, I have accidentally acquired myself a Shaw Business account manager and an offer for a discount from the posted rates.

Moral of the story: pretend to be a business if you want decent internet in Canada.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

After a week of back and forth with Shaw support they are now saying my random 5 minute bursts of 50% packet loss that happen 2-4 times a day that started only a week ago are coax quality issues somewhere between the wall and the CMTS in the sac box on the street.

I rent. I can't fish through the walls to replace all the coax on a whim.

I love the place I live in but I'm genuinely considering moving to a city that has PureFibre to finally get away from this lovely abusive pseudo-monopolistic shitfest of a cable ISP.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

originalnickname posted:

Get them to roll an in-home tech to your place. Next time you call, get their employee number immediately, and tell them you've been at this a week and you'd like a tech to come check the place out.

If this moron actually told you that there's a CMTS on your street, and you don't have a hubsite or a datacenter on your street, they're just trying to get you off the phone.

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd. Last time I worked with CMTses they were big 12RU bastards. I know where the sac box is and it's definitely not big enough to have a couple quarter racks in it.

I really wish the city I live in would stop arguing over what is effectively petty cash with Telus and just let them lay FTTH already.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

While my random packet loss is no longer a problem, Shaw is now blackholing any and all bittorrent traffic regardless of origin, content, or tracker. Even perfectly legitimate traffic such as downloading actual Linux ISOs gets to about 20 kB/s and then immediately gets cut off.

gently caress you, Shaw. gently caress you and your stupid net neutrality denying monopolistic bullshit. I hope your entire company gets ripped apart.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hanlon's razor. I'm an immense loving idiot and my recent myriad issues with Shaw made me jump to blaming them after having the same result in multiple torrent clients.

My NAS crapped out and put itself into read-only mode. qBittorrent would start downloading, get about 64 megs of data downloaded, then try to move it to the NAS, fail, and stall the torrent.

I'm going to go walk off into the forest forever and become a hermit out of shame

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TekSavvy only offers 150/15 where I am. Shaw offers 1000/30, but they can't even serve 300/15 without awful packet loss and disconnections. Prior to my internet going to poo poo I was considering a business package to get sweet sweet upload but that's not even a remote consideration anymore.

Telus, meanwhile, is still arguing with the municipal government over who pays for what for a PureFibre deployment, so I guess the only way to get functional internet here is to move.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is again, just your system.

When it happens I lose connectivity and experience 50+% packet loss on wired and wireless devices no matter what the configuration is.

I'm sure it's just my system, yes, all five of them experiencing the same problem at the same time for the same duration over two different kinds of access media, definitely.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

are you using the isp's supplied router or your own?

ISP's.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I would just appreciate a TSR who understands "it's intermittent, random, lasts about five minutes, and my internet is unusable when it happens, here's a loss visualization of what it looks like" and doesn't go "well I don't see any loss right now have you tried rebooting your modem" for half an hour before deciding the best thing they can do is mail me a splitter to replace the one they sent me a week ago despite me still having the problem without a splitter in line.

It's really annoying that they don't have phone support at night anymore. The chat is basically impossible to demand an escalation through.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

originalnickname posted:

I thought they fixed this or whatever?

I mean, I've experienced no packet loss at all with a 100mbit upload and gig down from Shaw, ever, so there I guess our anecdotes cancel each other out?

Turns out they didn't.

I didn't start having this problem until about a month ago so I'm mostly disappointed that after years of no issues with Shaw they've just shat the bed on me and are refusing to acknowledge it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

originalnickname posted:

Without getting too specific, what city do you live in?

I'm in Langley, about half an hour outside of Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the Puma chipset modems, yeah, so if it's finally croaking on me then I guess that's an expected failure mode. It's a Hitron CGNM-2250. Hopefully I can get them to send me a new modem and maybe a tech out as well. Usually I'd be fine doing the activation and poo poo myself but with this situation I would much rather have someone who actually has tools to check SNR and poo poo on the line handy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

zergstain posted:

Oh, so Shaw offers 1000/100? That's seems close to reasonable, or at least maintains the same ratio as the 150/15 I have now. I'm guessing Rogers infrastructure is just woefully out of date?

Only on business plans here :( Best you can get in residential in my neighbourhood is 1000/25 for $125/month. Business tops out at 1000/125 for $201/month ($160/month on a 3 year contract).

...actually that's lower than it used to be. It was 1000/125 for $250/month or $165/month on a 3 year contract a couple months ago. Wonder if business internet plans still get you NOC access.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, some of the crossovers with cable and how it's evolved are fascinating. I remember when Rogers (and Shaw for a time after they purchased Rogers' holdings out here) provided FM radio over cable. And when there was an analog TV channel that was some sort of signal analyzer I think on channel 97 or something like that, and a teletext-like news channel on 70 or thereabouts.

Now all the fun stuff is gone and it's just DOCSIS and pain.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I thought they split the country in half ages ago to avoid monopoly status or something

I think that's why Shaw took over all of Rogers' cable assets west of Ontario in exchange for their handing over their cable assets Ontario and eastwards in the early 2000s. Because having a monopoly in one half of the country is preferable to a nation-wide competing duopoly, I guess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Finally got Shaw support to just mail me a new modem. 2-5 business days, they say.

I look forward to getting a modem in two weeks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

I mean, not sequentially.

After 24-48 hours of thinking about getting a callback, you'll receive one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Update: the gently caress

That was the fastest I've ever had Shaw replace anything.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I'll be impressed if they roll that out in my area, which, last I checked, they considered an "outlying region" because it's on the wrong side of the Fraser River.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaw's new plans are up on their internet options list, at least in BC. Fibre+ 300, 750, and 1000 plans all have 100 Mbps up. I'm still on the legacy Internet 300 plan so I'm still only getting 15 Mbps up; will report back once I "upgrade" to Fibre+.

e: their billing department is closed until the morning, so, uh, will report back tomorrow

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 24, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Trip report:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PureFibre and Novus both use the same GPON (gigabit passive optical network) technology.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Starlink beta is for people whose internet situations are so poo poo that even that is a marked upgrade in service, and for people who want to brag that they have Starlink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm moving into a brand new condo building on Saturday that has PureFibre but I'm six months into a two year Shaw contract for gigabit down/125 up that's really more like 700 down/100 up. Telus keeps calling my cell and I keep ignoring it. Next time they do I should tell them I'll switch if they pay my Shaw cancellation fees. Anyone ever managed to get them to do something like that? I think it'd be $340 to get Shaw to gently caress off right now.