Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I gotta say the horror stories are pretty crazy.

I pay like $90 a month from rogers for 250/20mbps with unlimited data caps. Pricey, but worth it.

Not sure how NYC internet works, but at least since I'm moving out of Rogers network in April I don't have to pay their crazy rear end $200 early cancellation fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Hmm supposedly Bell has FTTH in my downtown Toronto area. I just assumed it would never come lol.

Mine too, except they offer 50 Mbps as their max available download for a grand total of $90 bucks a month.

Meanwhile I'm getting 250 from Rogers for $97.

Anyways, he tries to sell me on their dedicated line giving me buzzword after buzzword.

I feel almost bad. It's been a solid 6 minutes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

What? With Bell they use the 'Fibe' branding to mean either fibre to the home or pair bonded vdsl, which is a little bad, but they are clear in the actual offers what you are getting. If they say FTTH they do mean it.

With mine, I get a fibre pair right to my apt, as they wired up my entire building running fibre to each unit.

Oh turns out they meant it alright.

It just also turned out that the most they would offer me, even on fibre, was a fifth of Rogers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

If you are eligible for Bell's gigabit service in Toronto, get ye to the Home Show.
Better TV+PVR/Gigabit/Phone lite, free modem+install, for $99.90 for a 2 year term. Beats having to dick around with Rententions :)

Ugh this would be great but my lease is up in July :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Start.ca looks cool and all but Rogers sells me unlimited 250 down for $73 a month and I've yet to find anyone who can beat that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man I wish that was available in Toronto. I was pretty pleased with my $74/mo 250/25 from Rogers. I don't need the speed, but I'll take the savings any day of the week.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

8ender posted:

Rogers is transparently hedging it's bets by offering free gigabit speeds on the 150 tier until January 2018.

Huh. That's a half tempting offer.

Thing is though, that I get 250 down for the same price they're currently offering the $150. Not sure if it's really worth it then.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

infernal machines posted:

The did a big promo over the winter and I ended up getting gigabit + whatever mid tier cable package (lol cable) for less than I was paying for my 250 service. It's also less than I was paying for 150 with Teksavvy back when Teksavvy still had a 150 tier.

Dang, wish I could get in on that. Right now I pay like $85 for 250 down and whatever up, which isn't bad but is unspectacular. Definitely keen on going up to gigabit if I can nab it for ~$100-110 or so though. No cable though.

E: on that note, I'm paying like $10 or $12 a month to rent my modem from rogers. Is it still worthwhile to get your own third party modem?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 7, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

infernal machines posted:

I don't think that's an option with Rogers, and was frankly always a bad deal with Teksavvy. They change their supported modems so frequently that unless you planned on not upgrading your service for multiple years and just hoped they would keep your existing modem active, you'd end up spending more buying it outright.

The CPE devices are all poo poo though, so you still want a decent router, just use them in bridge mode.

Figured it'd be that way wrt the modem.

With regards to the router though, assume that I know precisely very little about networking (though I do IT helpdesk/basic sysadmin stuff). Is this something I should particularly care about?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had 25/30Mbps with no cap, and nothing from the incumbents in Vancouver could come close to matching that as they all had low caps and cost more, so I'm not sure how you can say they don't offer value. I also had the same cable modem, which at the time was 75 brand new, not 100, from NCIX, for the 4 years of service with them (also, they do offer a rental option). I'm honestly not sure if things are that different in Ontario, or if you're just nuts, because I have no idea idea what you're talking about with any of that.

Maybe leave Ontario, it sounds lovely as hell for many reasons.

you're kinda proving his point about Teksavvy's alleged reputation if your response to criticism of them is literally "move"

CLAM DOWN posted:

What are you paying for Roger's gigabit? With what cap? Same speed up/down?

Still calling bullshit on this.

I'm paying $100 a month for 500 down/50 up, no cap. Not a great price, but not awful by any means.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

That was a joke, pal. Welcome to Something Awful.

Haha those prices are terrible, wow.

yeah, they're not great no.

Unfortunately they're literally the best I can get in Toronto, and my phone is tied into Rogers anyways since there's corporate discount/line shenanigans

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

urf posted:

I am pretty happy with this switch.
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just doesn't seem real that I am going to end up paying 30bux a month for this.

how in the world do you only pay $30/mo for that

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

An old job gave me a 25% Rogers discount on my bill a month before I left the job and they still haven't removed it

That's about what it takes to get competitive rates out of Rogers. Even then Shaw/TekSavvy are usually within $5-10/month

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

yeah my Rogers internet promo runs out this month, need to scare them into a new promo. Also located in Toronto, so I guess I'll get quotes from Start.ca and Teksavvy.

Shame, I liked my 500gb down package.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rogers promo expired, hopped on the Bell 1.5gb for $90 a month. Not a bad price for those speeds at all.

Pretty unnecessary though and I'll hop down to 1gb or 500mb in 12 months when it's up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Rogers promo expired, hopped on the Bell 1.5gb for $90 a month. Not a bad price for those speeds at all.

Pretty unnecessary though and I'll hop down to 1gb or 500mb in 12 months when it's up.

So the agent I talked to didn't put the promo through, which is great since I called them up. Apparently they have some package with Bell's "Alt TV" via an app. Total is $55 a month for unlimited gigabit and free TV. That's more than worth it for the Internet alone.

Shame it also cost my soul cuz drat if Bell isn't by far the most evil Canadian ISP out there. Pretty good promo though gotta say.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

Bell has quietly increased my internet bill by $5. It's not much but it is unsettling. Still is a good promotion price of $80 for gigabit but man ...

I get gigabit Internet for $55 so you're definitely being screwed there. It was an offer straight on their website too, not even a special deal. Doubt it's available anymore though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Last I heard Musk's plan was to just poo poo up the atmosphere with a ton of cheap satellites to make this internet plan work.

So there are legit reasons to be opposed to this plan.

cheap satellites are a good thing. that's kinda the whole reason why SpaceX has succeeded - they can do the job cheaper and better than entrenched corporate interests. I see no reason why the same won't be true for Canadian ISPs.

twenty years down the line we'll all be bitching about them ripping off customers too and there will be some new disruptor to shake up the market. As it stands, gently caress Canadian ISPs, competition is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

priznat posted:

Don’t those mini satellites gently caress up astronomy and have the potential to add a ton of space junk?

Like most musky ventures I have concerns.

sure, but the same thing is true of anything you put in space. that doesn't mean we shouldn't put things in space, it just means we need to either manage that lifecycle or have a plan to dispose of them when they're no longer of use.