Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Anyone here manage to get a fibre service activated in Ontario this year?

I've been waiting since February for a client's service. The fibre is already run and there's an active service on another pair, but the ISP has been blaming Bell for the delays for three months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the initial fibre run for another tenant in the building was delayed like four months from summer of last year, so i'm not that surprised

otoh i had figured running the fibre was the heavy lifting and just getting another pair activated would be quite so hard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure it only comes with the battery if you have the home phone service with it, since it's required for the landline service to operate if the power is out. That's why the unit has RJ11 jacks on it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weirdly, if you have a commercial service that comes with the HomeHub 2000, the ONT will be on a little UPS, but the modem won't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Well you know what they say, always check your optics.

You'll eat those words Chris

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you get FTTH you can just ditch the Bell HomeHub completely and use your own router as long as it supports VLAN tagging on the WAN port. From there if you wanted to do fail over with LTE or a Teksavvy cable connection you could, but in my experience the Bell FTTH is rock solid unless somebody takes out a utility pole

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I guess it will depend on your region, but generally I don't think you're going to get higher than 10mbit up on either VDSL or cable just because of the plans being offered (e: Looks like the Rogers gigabit plans do 30Mbit up, and some regional providers may offer up to 50Mbit). VDSL is still heavily dependant on line conditions to get a decent sync, but if you do and your ISP doesn't have capacity issues (see: Teksavvy circa 2015-????), you should get very stable speeds. Cable generally works everywhere, with time-of-day/load based slowdowns in areas that are heavily oversubscribed.

If you have a GPON fiber option and you can stomach the ISP (because it will probably be Bell or Telus unless you're in a few buildings in a few urban centres) it's by far your best bet.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 10, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Quick check -- anyone here use Bell Fibe with a Ubiquity UDM-PRO as the router?

Have one coming in the mail but just now seeing that there is/was a bug where bypassing your HH3K by inputting PPPoE credentials into the UDM resulted in a non-insignificant decrease in speeds, forcing you to either double-nat behind the HH3000 or .. i don't know what. Recent forum posts elsewhere say the problem may be fixed for some people but others are still complaining about slow speeds. Just wondering if anyone here has that specific setup:

- Bell Fibe w/HH3000
- Ubiquity UDM-PRO
- PPPoE creds on your UDM WAN port hooked to the HH3K

If you have the HH3K you can pull the SFP GPON module out and plug it straight into the UDM-PRO, and configure that to dial PPPoE (VLAN 35). The only reason to keep the HH3K in there is if you have home phone via fibre or Fibe TV and you don't feel like setting up the additional VLANs on the UDM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AFAIK if the HH3K is just handling FibeTV, that's actually a different set of credentials from the internet service.

Not sure I understand why you need both the EdgeRouter and the UDM with their own PPPoE sessions though. It was my understanding that you could have one active session with a login, but I don't think I've ever tested that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 12, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

And I think the PPPoE creds I'm using are the same ones the tech set up on the HH3K but I could be wrong. It's been so long since I had to monkey with anything on the network level.

They might be, but if you're dialing the PPPoE session from behind the HH3K then the HH3K itself may only be connecting to the FibeTV PPPoE session, which uses different credentials than the internet service itself.

I might be missing something obvious, but why not just configure the UDM separately, then swap it in for the EdgeMax, it's probably easier if you don't try to configure it in-situ

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 12, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Optiplex Micro 30XX series will do what you want and are solid little machines, IMO.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's 7th-gen Intel integrated graphics, so you can run stuff on the lowest detail settings and probably hit 30fps. Otherwise the hardware is fine, beyond the fact that as previously noted, AIOs are the worst possible choice 100% of the time unless you're buying an iMac. The LCD panels are usually the cheapest possible TN trash, so it will look bad and you can't get anything better, usually the build quality isn't very good either, but it probably doesn't matter much.

That price isn't great unless it comes with a 1-year warranty, but it may just be that the prices for used hardware have gone up a lot in the last two years, IDK.

e: Yeah, everything there is pricier than I would expect, so I'm guessing prices have gone up. That's probably the cheapest you will find those specs with a display, so if you don't mind maybe getting a grainy looking display with terrible viewing angles that you can't replace, go for it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Don't encourage him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

To what? Deliver incredible value in an easily _vesa mountable_ PC that meets every single on of OP's needs?

Sadly the AM3 mobo selection from trusted names like Bobotron, Ctzrzyt and Fulshi now push $77 so they are right out. But we do have assembled before us Amazon.ca's cheapest plausibly deniable "modern" PC that legally could be considered to be able to execute binary instructions and/or run Windows10.

mobo $30.59 +5.99 shipping, A presumed to be new-old stock Gigabyte model that has 2022-spec integrated graphics.

https://www.amazon.ca/YoBuyBuy-G41MT-S2-Mainboard-G41MT-D3-Computer/dp/B09MKRWVVH/

Optimized for 45mm CPU indeed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh wow.

Asus and an AIO huh?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, you've already bought it, so whatever. Hopefully it holds up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IME their GPON service has had 100% uptime for the three years I've had it and the same for every one of my clients that have it.

It's expensive, but incredibly reliable, and you get the speeds you pay for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not using my HH3K, but the people I know who have them don't run into the same issues as the HH2K had with making GBS threads itself under load or simply because it was running for more than a week.

Haven't interacted with the HH4K at all though, so no idea there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That said, if you get the business service (and it's often cheaper if you do since they have more promotions on it, it seems), the ONT is a separate box entirely and you can just connect whatever you want to it on via ethernet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

They would only go as low as $80/mo for 1Gbps when my condo fibre is $50. They made some argument about it being a dedicated line as if they're not doing carrier-grade NAT for every tower too.

lol. Bell Fibe is GPON, so it's very much not a dedicated line. It's good though, if you don't have any other fibre options.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not everything is done to the standard of pirate streaming sites on homebrew hardware, i'm afraid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Methanar posted:

You make fun of me but I only nuked my network like 3 times in 3 years.

i'm not even making fun of you, that was some of my favourite content in yospos.

rogers, naturally, is on another level of fuckup

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 10, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

To our valued customers and all Canadians,

I am reaching out to share that our services have been restored, and our networks and systems are close to fully operational. Our technical teams are continuing to monitor for any remaining intermittent issues. I also want to outline an action plan we are putting in place to address what happened.

I also want to share what we know about what happened yesterday. We now believe we’ve narrowed the cause to a network system failure following a maintenance update in our core network, which caused some of our routers to malfunction early Friday morning. We disconnected the specific equipment and redirected traffic, which allowed our network and services to come back online over time as we managed traffic volumes returning to normal levels.

We know how much our customers rely on our networks and I sincerely apologize. We’re particularly troubled that some customers could not reach emergency services and we are addressing the issue as an urgent priority.

We will proactively credit all customers automatically for yesterday’s outage. This credit will be automatically applied to your account and no action is required from you.

As CEO, I take full responsibility for ensuring we at Rogers earn back your full trust, and am focused on the following action plan to further strengthen the resiliency of our network:

Fully restore all services: While this has been nearly done, we are continuing to monitor closely to ensure stability across our network as traffic returns to normal.

Complete root cause analysis and testing: Our leading technical experts and global vendors are continuing to dig deep into the root cause and identify steps to increase redundancy in our networks and systems.

Make any necessary changes: We will take every step necessary, and continue to make significant investments in our networks to strengthen our technology systems, increase network stability for our customers, and enhance our testing.

We let you down yesterday. You have my personal commitment that we can, and will, do better.

Tony Staffieri
President and CEO, Rogers Communications

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do better Tony

I love the ultra generic "a network system failure following a maintenance update in our core network, which caused some of our routers to malfunction".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I would dearly love to stop receiving apologies from Rogers, I'm not even a Rogers customer.

I am a technical contact for some of my clients though and apparently that entitles me to every single one of their apologies.

Any more of these I'm I'm going to start submitting them to the CRTC as unsolicited mail since there's no unsubscribe link.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amazon is not exactly policed in terms of the products sold, so yeah "EzaLine" can just set up a storefront and sell shady subscription services until someone complains.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm reasonably sure forums poster Nitr0 runs an ISP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

I do, and still live in Canada, who would ever want to move to the US

Methanar, apparently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

For years my Teksavvy-on-Rogers 100/10 has actually been 300/10. Billing error? Not complaining.

IIRC they (Rogers and anyone piggybacking on their last mile) have a burst speed that is considerably higher than the rated download speed on the lower tiers, it won't sustain for more than a minute or two though, usually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They're offering 3GB for $1 less than I'm paying for the 1.5GB now, but I'd need like $900 in new equipment to get any real use out of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

If you get 3Gbs or 8Gbs, Bell is going to insist you use their 'Gigahub', which has pretty poor WiFi performance. Unlike earlier, both these speed tiers rely on xgpon, and there is no transplantable SFP module if you want to user another device. PPPoE pass-through works, but you have to ask Bell specifically to enable it.

Yeah, I looked at it and it's like $900 in new equipment to make the 3GB service worth using (for me), so I'm just going to stick with 1.5/940 for now.

Having the 940 up has actually been incredibly useful for work, I can't really justify a need to go to 3Gbit though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I can get 3Gbps symmetrical here, and I could get 8Gbps a little closer to downtown, through Bell. I looked at what I'd spend upgrading my networking equipment and it just wasn't worth it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

lol talk about overkill, it looks like Bell has 8/8Gbps Fibe in my area.

For a couple months now. I was looking at the costs for all the other gear I'd need to get and I couldn't justify it, given that I can barely ever saturate my 1Gbps connection now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Some of the Microsoft CDNs and Steam can, but it's such a limited use case it's not worth nearly a grand in extra hardware, for me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What's the new bypass? You still have to use the GPON module in the HH4K right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, so I guess they're just cloning the config from the HomeHub ONT to that thing. Cool.

There was some talk a while back about custom ordered SFP+ GPON modules where you clone the serial number from the one in the Home Hub, but it seemed like a lot of hassle.

That poo poo all used to be on the dslreports.com forums, but I guess things have moved on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's still some minor performance loss with PPPoE passthrough. Apparently the new hotness is having a 3rd party ONT/GPON device that completely replaces the HomeHub.

Unrelated, gently caress Bell. I facilitated getting internet services set up for a client, Bell put something like my name and my phone number on the account, because they can't quite grasp the idea of the technical contact being different from the billing contact, and now I'm getting collections calls.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VLAN tagging is only necessary if you're connecting directly to the ONT without a Bell modem. Since the HomeHub 4000 is the ONT as well as the Bell modem, it handles the VLAN tagging. With the 2000 you had a separate physical ONT box connected with ethernet, and with the 3000 the ONT was a Huawei GPON SFP module, in both cases you needed to set VLAN 35 to dial the PPPoE session from your own gear unless you passed through the HomeHub.

IDK about the PPPoE passthrough performance on the 4000, but the older 3000 and 2000 models had performance impacts with PPPoE passthrough.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, some of it is people not wanting Bell having TR-069 access to their internal networks or whatever.

That and the HomeHub firmware has had stability issues for generations, so just not trusting this latest gen to be any better makes sense

e: Oh wow, it was 10 years ago this month I found the bridge mode settings for the old Sagem 2864 VDSL2 modems.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you can get something with an SFP+ port you can just pull the GPON module and use your own router. I've been using a Mikrotik for years and it's rock solid.

The HomeHubs suck out loud, but you don't have to use them, mostly.