Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Never going to happen.

Completely wrong. Its already semi-unbundled in a Quebec IPTV service with a lovely name I've forgotten. Cable cutting is accelerating rapidly in my admittedly small sample group, I only have one friend left that may or may not have cable. Everyone else loving hates it and is slapping together any AppleTV, hulu proxy, slingbox, Netflix and loaded USB drive solution they can. And these are 50 and 60 year olds, everyone I know thats 30 and under never had cable TV to cut in the first place after leaving university.

Canadian HBO-GO on demand will be up in Canada within 2 years as part of their stragegy towards loosening CableCo Inc's leverage over them in the states.

Edit: http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=fr&cont=iptv There is your Canadian HBO served over resold DSL. When HBO's little bundle costs $12.95 on top of at $20 TV package on top of minimal-margin DSL, it clearly will never cost "like 100/mo just for hbo go or something crazy."

I hate to be a dick, but I don't think you have any clue what adults pay for television services.

Tedgewick fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Errr, wait, if you're paying for TV service, that's cable, and if they sell you hbo on it, that's bundled...

So how does that link prove what you're trying to say?

I know lots of younger people who are taking the screw cable route, I also know lots of middle aged and late 20's who've not got a clue about any of that and still happily pay for cable.

My point is, if they dropped the requirement to have a tv service of some sort, like Bell, Rogers, Comcast, TWC, Cox, they'd have to up their subscription fees to cover the losses that cable (and other cable like mediums) pay that we (as consumers of the paid tv services) don't cover.

HBO makes money in two ways 1: Cable (sat, etc) pay money to have hbo on their network, 2: subscriptions from people who are paying for cable. The Cable companies more than likely have things in the contract that says hbo can't offer their services outside direct to consumers, and in return they pay them money.

If that part is gone, someone has to make up the difference. You're crazy if you believe they could continue to offer HBO at the 12-15 dollars a month that most people get it for, if it was just streaming.

As someone who did pay for cable for years, and still pays for it for their parents, I'm perfectly well aware of the costs that come with cable, etc. Thanks.

You are a complete loving idiot spreading misinformation that isn't applicable to Canada. You can't do any math, speak in childish absolutes and have no evidence to support an authoritarian perspective.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)