Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
"Competition Bureau wants to better understand the competitive dynamics of the Canadian broadband (high-speed) internet services sector"

It's time to bring down the Big 4 with just simple survey responses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just curious, does anyone have any experience with Lightspeed? They are beating TS on price for cable wholesale service.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cowofwar posted:

Visiting my wife’s relatives and the DSL here is 0.74/0.34 300-1200ms. Thanks Bell

Bell says you're most welcome and please pay the $130/mo bill on time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Golluk posted:

Bell suddenly offered twice the speed and bandwidth for a lower price when I went and set up my parents for Teksavvy install. Of course if I hadn't done that, they never would have gotten anything from Bell.

Sticking with Teksavvy after that?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Or they are physically small but have sufficient population density both in them and nearby to make it worthwhile. Thinking of North Van here.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

McGavin posted:

It's easy when there is only one H.

Fibre to THE home after all...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Cell Backup if it's not on the same line. But then again that's usually used for PoS system failover.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

odiv posted:

Also, another thing to point to when providers are trying to get us to put all our data in "the cloud".

I really should get round to starting the selfhosted apps thread. I had an outage the other day and barely even noticed as I was watching Plex at the time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What's everyone's thoughts on Lightspeed? I'm thinking of jumping from Teksavvy to them, at least until 3rd party fibre arrives (i.e. not Telus)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

... not utilizing an indie company or an actual honest to god real own isp, then you’re part of the problem.

Ok I'm not... But who do I get my fibre internet from?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

infernal machines posted:

Just fund an independent ISP willing to do a fibre rollout to your house, duh. If none exist then make one.

While I'm not interested in a career change, how would I actually find them?

Yes I've googled

I'm trying to tease out a decent list of independent ISPs who might be doing this. I.e. ones who are not Teksavvy or Lightspeed.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
How was that kid functioning otherwise?

(Also, gently caress I'm old)

Also, my router has had that feature for years. Unused.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Generally people advise purchasing your own to avoid rental charges.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's taken me a while to get my head around my internet connection being as fast as my Ethernet and when I'm out of the house I can still use the resources there like I do Netflix/YouTube etc

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Are we suggesting that Shaw and Rogers shouldn't be allowed to merge until both can and have shot down all space debris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's like I've heard that news three times...