Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I went over to TekSavvy's unlimited cable package back in September, and have had no problems. Not that I ever had any with Rogers over the years. I am curious to see whether this unlimited offering will be disappearing, over at DSLReports their main guy has said they "have something in the works." Eh, we'll see.

Pivo posted:

Hm... I have 20mbit ADSL2+ in Kitchener, ON with EyeSurf. No caps. I wonder why TekSavvy doesn't offer that.
Because they have to deal with Bell, not Fibernetics. The ADSL2+ is only possible with a totally separate DSLAM setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yeah, if I was restricted like the Canadians, I'd be paying probably close to 2k in bandwith bills. For me to queue up a TB to download in a night is common.
I seriously doubt that. For 2 grand you could go buy whatever you were planning on downloading.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saying "over here" is pretty loving meaningless you know.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Only in Canada is loving over your own customers considered a legitimate business strategy to avoid competition/slowing churn rates.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Whimsy posted:

I'm upset that Teksavvy hasn't said a peep to their customers about this yet. They're the ones who have to charge, right? At this point, they should be concerned that their customers are going to be rightly pissed at a sudden apparent increase to their bill.

Has anyone else on notbell in Ontario received any kind of heads up from anyone?

I'm on TS cable, and at least on DSLReports they've been pretty up front saying they're still figuring out what to do.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

For some hard numbers, some single-game Steam installs are HUGE. Uncompressed there are several games that take up 15 gigs or more.
Uncompressed size is irrelevant.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not, because most Steam games come uncompressed.
Then why say "uncompressed" at all? It implies they were compressed coming down the intertubes.

Snarky comment withdrawn.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kuddles posted:

On that note, the Rogers quota "reminder" is completely useless. I usually only get the warning that I reached 75% of my monthly limit after I already surpassed 100%.

It's a day behind usage, IIRC. Same thing as the online check in your account info.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

:D

Haha! Try the Java one instead.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't really want to turn this into TV chat, but Corus is another stellar example of what happens when our companies get too large and start loving things up. The demise of the original programming on WTN and YTV to name just two. "What, we got into debt to buy your channel? Guess we have to lay everyone off and cut making original programming, because that costs too much!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
TekSavvy said that a bunch of the Toronto POIs finally are getting their upgrades. I haven't checked DSLReports since the weekend, but ever since last Thursday my prime time isn't nearly as bad as it had been since they bumped me from Scarlett to Dupont. :fingerscrossed:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm helpin my sister research new ISP since her discount with Rogers is up. Right now she has Express (15mbps down .5mbps up 60gb cap) the speed is generally fine but the cap is getting destroyed by Netflix. I suggested Teksavvy but she lives in the Annex in Toronto which would mean she would be on the Dupont POI which is absolute poo poo according to DSLreports. Distributel looks like a good alternative but I can't find any reviews on their service for her general area. Does anyone have an idea on the quality?

I'm on Dupont, having started on Scarlett when I first switched last year. There was some initial slowdowns a year ago when people switched in droves from Rogers, and Dupont was simply swamped with customers. Speeds came back, and all was good for a long time.

However, there's a stop sell in the Dupont area (and a few others) for the time being while they sort things out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put in the upgrade request to Teksavvy to get my cable switched up to 45/4 last week, got an email this afternoon saying the order has been processed. Works as advertised:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rather depends on their package and if they have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Teksavvy had amazing support and resolution times for years. That all went out the window about two years ago, for whatever reason. While their communication through the DSL Reports forum is excellent, it's not great that you have to go there and kick up a fuss to get an issue looked in to. Their phone support is useless and issues in the direct forum are often brushed off until a public thread appears with numerous people complaining about the same issue.

IIRC, one of the biggest shifts happened when they hired a new support director. Instead of focusing on first time resolution, he probably stuck with average hold time. Obviously the former results in happier customers, so we can't possibly do that!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
YKWIM :)

As for any great TekSavvy disasters, I really haven't seen any recently on my end.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

Well, TekSavvy announced a price increase on their plans. $2 or $3 depending on who your vendor is. So, the 25/2 (300gb) plan in the GTA is going to $42/mo. The hilarious part is that they warned that there might be further price increases coming! Interestingly enough, Rogers sent our a direct mail offering 30/3 (300gb) for $45/mo with a price-lock for 3 years.

Man, remind me to never read DSL Reports, talk about a bunch of loving whiny babies.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Is there a reason why Telus only gives the promo giveaway stuff (free tv, discount on first x months etc) to new customers and existing ones at the end of their contract have no incentive to re-up for another 3 year bit?
Because that's standard for all companies trying to grab customers from their competitors?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

https://myaccount.teksavvy.com/

Go there and either sign up or log in.
gg, TekSavyy, now I have to have 3 separate logins for your site.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

It's amazing what happens when companies actually have competition for business. Compare Rogers in Ontario (where it seems to have an agreement to not compete with Bell) to Rogers in NL and NB.

Rogers Extreme ON: $67.99/mo. 35/3. 120GB cap.
Rogers Extreme NL/NB: $51.99/mo. 30/10. 500GB cap.

Nothing to do with "competition" and more to do with the pre-existing infrastructure.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gg Rogers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Anyone still having trouble with Rogers cable internet (or resellers) in the GTA? I started having problems a day or two after that, and it's been problematic on and off since then. I'm on Start, if it matters.

The one time it was completely nonfunctional, I called Start and they arranged to have a Rogers tech come over in a couple of days. It fixed itself before then with no communication from Rogers. Since then it's been working most of the time but with intermittent DNS issues and/or huge packetloss and bad latency. Christ this loving internet duopoly we have is such garbage.

As far as I understand, Start has different infrastructure from TekSavvy and so they should be better insulated from Rogers fuckups, and they claim to not have any issues of their own. If that's true other Rogers customers should still be having problems.

The first problem was Rogers, then a few days later Hurricane Electric had throughput issues.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

With the new Rogers price plans, it's actually cheaper to go with the Business tier internet then it is to go with consumer.

Examples:

Consumer Hybrid Fibre 10
10/1, 25GB Usage, $51.99/mo

Just goes to show how much they are ripping off the every day consumer.
Jesus gently caress. I was getting more traffic back when I went to their EXTREME 6Mbps/1 plan years ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OK, so my 45/4 w/300GB is now unavailable, and for the same price you now get 30/5 300GB?
How completely bizarre.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It is, the 150 tier is new.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fibe is not FTTH.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Recently upgraded my Teksavvy cable from the (now no longer available) 45/4 to 60/10. Took a couple of days from order to implementation, went fine. Haven't tried ZTC yet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CirrusPlanetSteve posted:

New Plans
5/0.5 60GB Cap: $50
15/0.5 125GB Cap: $60
30/2.5 250GB Cap: $70
60/3 400GB Cap: $90

*No unlimited options
That 5/0.5 looks like what I had with Rogers like 10 years ago. Except I had 100 GB cap lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was talking with my aunt over Christmas break, and it looks like she dropped Cogeco and is now with Wightman Telecom for internet and TV out in Fergus. Looks like they're rolling out FTTH this year, which is p. sweet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The shareholders didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques, my man.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When people switched to encrypted torrents to evade packet inspection, Rogers took a hammer to their network and deprioritized all encrypted traffic. Every time I had to remote into work on our VPN it was like pulling teeth.

They really are a bunch of idiots.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah the pure HTML5 one is pretty new. Works well for what I've seen so far.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Really? Pirates?

We live in Canada, homie. You couldn't pay for most of the content you wanted if you tried. If you cut cable a vpn or private access is required for any media junkie.

Major shows all come out on bluray. Rent em.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

if you mean me, the $95/month quote was for unlimited bandwidth at 250/250.

Yeah, that would do nicely. *crosses fingers*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It'd actually be worth it to go back to the mother corp if the speeds are decent and usable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ahahaha.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Canada Computers really needs to update their website... it's barely changed over the last 10 years. Pathetic really.

It's pretty needs-suiting, don't know what you'd need to update it with.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It certainly reflects what John Ralston Saul was getting at by saying that Canada's corporate execs are the laziest on earth. "We don't get a guaranteed monopoly when we spend our money building something? Eh, then we won't bother, and block anyone else who tries."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Move to Elora or Walkerton, problem solved http://www.wightman.ca/ftth/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

37th Chamber posted:

Rolling out late 2015/2016, it's probably RFoG and not FTTH, similar to what Cogeco has rolled out.

I'll assume for the moment that stands for RogersFuckoffGoddamnit.