Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone have experience with Distributel, Acanac or Teksavvy cable near Yonge and Bloor?

Acanac's the cheapest for 18 Mbit. I'm not sure if I really need 18 vs 6 since I don't do much :filez: anymore, but it does require a 12 month contract and I've heard less than encouraging things about their billing and customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

I've had both teksavvy and acanac in that hood in two different locations and the service has been okay. It's kind of random if Bell will rate your line properly so go with their cable service so you don't have to deal with bell tech bs. I'm waiting till I move before switching to cable myself. Teksavvy dsl has been a nightmare trying to get the correct rating and speeds. Billing and customer service is top notch though.

Acanac's billing and customer service actually is as bad as you've heard.

Good, thanks.

I was hoping Acanac isn't as bad as people have said - a few people I know have their dsl and haven't complained yet, although they haven't tried cancelling or calling customer service at all. I'm probably going to get cable anyways.

Acanac's the cheapest out of the 3, although I guess I could look at start or Velcom or some other smaller startup. They all seem to charge about $40/month for 18mbit cable. I don't really need 18mbit down but the slower packages usually only have 256k up which is ridiculously slow in 2012.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What exactly is missing from the Canadian one that's available on the US? I tried it once with tunlr and didn't see anything I really needed to have. At the time I just wanted new seasons of Community and Mad Men; the former showed up on the Canadian one soon thereafter and I'm still waiting for Mad Men.

Marty, why would you pay for Unblock-US when tunlr does the same thing and is free last time I checked?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh I see, tunlr dropped netflix support just last week. That sucks.

Still, I have enough things left to watch on the Canadian one that I don't really care yet. It would be nice to have an actual functional queue system though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been on Bell's Fibe 25 for a while now after getting the 3 months free thing from Dell and a 50% discount for 12 months (so $44 after tax). Of course the discount ended and they didn't bother to remind me or put a note on my bill or anything. I called to see if they have anything remotely competitive to offer and the best they could do was bump me down to a lower tier for a mere $9 increase in my bill. Not only that but I asked if I could change my service now to avoid having to pay the full price next month and they said sure... the speed would change in a few days but it would take another billing cycle for the price to be updated :rolleye:.

In conclusion: gently caress off Bell. I'll probably take a similar Rogers promotion now since it's still cheaper than Teksavvy and quit after 6-12 months. As much as I appreciated the exceptional customer service script factoids ("best internet in Canada! Most secure! Faster service than Rogers! Did you know you get your own dedicated line, unlike cable? Aren't you sad to be leaving us? Isn't it inconvenient to switch?"), they have just as little interest in retaining customers as Rogers.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 7, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I switched to Start earlier this month, mostly because they had the best reviews of any ISP and didn't require a contract for a monthly discount like Acanac does. It got activated within a week as promised and haven't had any issues since.

I'm not thrilled that the service was advertised at 16/0.5 Mbit when I signed up and now they're 25/2. I guess I'll call and see if they'll bump it up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

How have they been for setup & customer service etc? I'm with Teksavvy, but it looks like Start is actually re-selling cogeco cable in my area, where as Teksavvy is not. My current DSL connection maxes out at 3Mbit/800kbit because the lines are so old, and I'd like to get out of the stone age.

I signed up online and picked three dates (minimum 1 week from signup) to get a Rogers technician to install. They called to confirm the appointment the next day, and a week later the Rogers tech showed up on time and I got it up and running a few minutes after he left. They called to confirm it was working later in the day. Since then I've had no downtime and no reason to contact them (other than to bitch and get the upload speed increased, but I've been too lazy to do that so far).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where are the rates for Rogers? The decision's legalese seemed to imply that they weren't changing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Supposedly Start was already paying Rogers' "new" rates for cable so their prices shouldn't change - at least in regions where they re-sell Rogers, I think in some areas they're re-selling Cogeco instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Start is cool because when I go to check my usage I see this:

Usage statistics for your cable connection are not currently integrated into this web tool. Overage charges will not apply for you until after this tool has been completed and available for review.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm in a Rogers area. I've been on it for two months so they sure seem to be taking a while to set it up, if it's just a matter of time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, the instructions from Bell say to "place in an upright position". Two of the edges are curved, one has the LAN and coax ports on it and the last one, the one most likely to serve as a "bottom", has the phone and power ports. :psyduck:

I think I had a similar Sagecom modem from bell. There should be a cutout to leave some space for the cables once you stand it upright. Also, it was an awful router/modem and I had to reset the drat thing regularly when it just stopped working for no apparent reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teksavvy/start et al have high startup costs to buy a modem ($100) and a decent router ($50-100), sure, but it's nice to have decent reliable service (with start anyways) and a router/modem that can run for weeks without having to be restarted.

Also, as fun as it is to swap back and forth on promotional offers from Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw, dealing with their customer service causes many dollars worth of mental anguish. It's not worth it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Usually the big 3 will offer free modem rental for x months when you sign up. It's just that the retentions offers are bound to be garbage once you 6- or 12-month bargain runs out, so you have to switch if you want to keep a reasonable monthly rate.

And of course if you actually live at the same address for years at a time you're not going to keep getting promotional deals.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone actually use start.ca? I've seen it mentioned a few times as a more expensive alternative to TekSavvy (albeit more reliable).

Yep, it's fine, friendly tech support and painless setup.

These are my usual speeds:

.. exactly what my plan is rated for.

I did get this the other night though:

No idea what happened there. It seemed to improve after a reboot, but that's really the only time it's been bad in about 4 months.

Oh yeah, they finally implemented an online usage tracker, unfortunately. But I rarely get close to 200gb and apparently late night traffic is exempted from the limits.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Start's unlimited plans are cheaper than Teksavvy's in most locations. Their standard plans are similar speeds but with lower usage limits.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For DSL, yes, but we were talking about cable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

You don't pay for hydro while it's out ;)

Ahahah, if only that were actually true. It sure isn't in Ontario.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is a pretty pathetic attempt to be hip with the young kids. Actually, everything about this flyer is pretty pathetic (20GB per month? Get hosed).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

El Scotch posted:

5/1 Fibre? :psyduck:

Duh, it's Fibe, not Fibre. The missing 'r' is for missing fib'r'e between your home and the nearest node.

From what I recall about signing up for Fibe years ago when they actually gave credible promotions, some people do live far enough away from the nearest node that they're limited to the slower speeds anyways, or so the salesperson claimed anyways.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 22, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone still having trouble with Rogers cable internet (or resellers) in the GTA? I started having problems a day or two after that, and it's been problematic on and off since then. I'm on Start, if it matters.

The one time it was completely nonfunctional, I called Start and they arranged to have a Rogers tech come over in a couple of days. It fixed itself before then with no communication from Rogers. Since then it's been working most of the time but with intermittent DNS issues and/or huge packetloss and bad latency. Christ this loving internet duopoly we have is such garbage.

As far as I understand, Start has different infrastructure from TekSavvy and so they should be better insulated from Rogers fuckups, and they claim to not have any issues of their own. If that's true other Rogers customers should still be having problems.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holy poo poo! The first instance I found on Michael Geist's Twitter feed, the second comes from one of my buddies on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bb_WabMn8

'Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from getting to you, baby

:unsmigghh:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rogers has managed to gently caress with my Start connection before, but they fixed it themselves before Start could arrange for a tech.

Then again, Rogers also disconnected my parents' cable entirely, and they've been on Rogers proper forever, so the only real difference with being on a 3rd party is that it might take longer to get a Robellus tech to admit it's their problem and actually fix it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CirrusPlanetSteve posted:

10/0.5 125GB Cap: $55>$59
New Plans
15/0.5 125GB Cap: $60

No but see, you get an extra 5 Mbit down for just an extra dollar!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hello thread, it's been a while. I'm currently paying Verizon 40 USD/month for 300/300 mbit FTTH. I see once I return to the warm embrace of an older, fiber-less apartment in Toronto my best option is 1000/50 for $85/month from oxio and... I guess I could sign a contract with Rogers and get the same thing for slightly more. Thanks, CRTC.

(yes 300/30 plans are cheaper but I'm not sure how much I'll miss the upload bandwidth for remote desktop type use)

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 5, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

I'm surprised there are still buildings in the city that don't have Bell fiber available

Not that the price is good, but at least you can get symmetrical connections 50Mbit and up

I checked the address and Bell's site says Fibe 50/10 for a heavily discounted rate of $70/mo (regular $95) so I don't know what the gently caress they're doing besides gouging.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just checked RedFlagDeals out of curiosity and Rogers apparently (still) has a third party retention number you can call to get ~gigabit service for $40-50/month. But that's not all! They now have their own bank that offers a Mastercard with extra cash back if you redeem towards paying your Rogers bill. No mortgages yet, but give it time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently my building is getting fiber from Rally rather than Bell. I've never heard of them but if they can manage even half of the advertised speeds I'll be forced to declare that Canadian internet is actually good (limited time/location offer and still expensive).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Got my Rally fiber and it's good. 900+ mbit up/down on Ethernet (I don't think I have the hardware for more than gigabit?), 600ish on my phone on WiFi, weirdly only 150ish on my laptop WiFi but it's new and has buggy firmware.

The TV service is through apps and ehhh the Roku one is not great. I don't think I'd bother except for sports. I suspect Sportsnet and TSN are still compressing the poo poo out of their feeds so they're not 4k/90hz like they ought to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

A Starlink cell is about 400Mb/s down, and 50Mb/s up. Each cell is around 40km in diameter. Depending on your area and how many people are in your cell, you can experience ok service, or poor service. Plus as you mentioned you'll need to get the thing mounted, make sure you have a clear line of sight to the north (no trees) and then mount and deal with that yourself. Your customer support is also just a ticketing system. No phone numbers, no emails.

... why pointed north? A quick search says the satellites don't go higher than 53' N so surely any dish in the territories would have to point south.