Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

priznat posted:

Good lord those caps are absolutely worthless. Even a single person who watches a lot of netflix will be flirting with disaster on a monthly basis.
If you can actually download at the 25 mbps advertised it would take around 7 hours to burn through your whole cap. So they're charging $53/month for a service that you can only use for 7 hours.

It's too bad, I'd probably think about signing up for the fibe 25 plan if it wasn't for the cap. Even a 150 or 200 GB cap would probably be fine for me, but what's the point in paying for that kind of speed if I can't use it? I also don't need the other junk they include like the "security advanced" service and the wireless router.

At least this seems to be getting some media attention now, maybe that will make something happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Kreeblah posted:

Seriously, make a comparison to charging tolls on roads ostensibly to clear congestion at rush hour. :iiaca:, I know, but it's not going to do a drat thing there either and it's something people will understand is bullshit.
That's not a good analogy. Road tolls could help reduce congestion because they would encourage commuters to use public transit. There is no "public transit" option for internet access, so all UBB is going to do is force us to act like its 1999 again when it comes to how we use the internet.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Nomenklatura posted:

Plus, the excuse is just custom-loving-designed to enrage consumers. "Too cheap"? gently caress YOU too cheap. Canadian broadcasters get literal rents thanks to loving simulcasting, and are the main reason why our country is a geoblocked shithole when it comes to decent online video. And now they're moaning about netflix?
Geoblocking isn't the CRTC's fault, it's all depends on who owns the rights to that content in Canada. It's not unique to Canada either, it's a mess all over the world. Canadians just complain about it more because we're so close to America, and we want to see all of those precious Superbowl ads. It probably won't change for a long time too, the US networks are making a lot more money selling the rights for their shows to Canadian networks than they would by letting us watch on Hulu.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this new Netflix thing either, at least not yet. This sounds like it's just a hearing, and the CRTC hasn't shown much interest in the past in treating the internet like broadcast TV. Von Finckenstein may not understand how bandwidth works, but he at least seems to understand the Broadcasting Act:
link

quote:

Canuck TV watchdog resists calls for Netflix Canada to be brought into its regulatory orbit.
OTTAWA - Canada’s TV watchdog has come out against regulating Netflix as online broadcaster. “It’s not broadcasting, within the Broadcasting Act,” Konrad von Finckenstein, chairman of the CRTC, said ahead of an industry summit Friday to deal with Netflix's Canadian expansion.

Local film and TV execs looking to protect their industry’s chin against the U.S. video streaming giant want the CRTC to deem Netflix Canada an online broadcaster that must support Canadian production. But von Finckenstein pointed to a 2010 Canadian appeals court decision as grounds to conclude Netflix just distributes content online and plays no active role in the content.

That’s a definition that satisfies Netflix, which argues its Canadian streaming video subscription service “is an aggregator and a distributor of content,” streaming films and TV shows over the Internet, according to spokesman Steve Swasey. He adds Netflix Canada already benefits the Canadian industry by providing “an outstanding way for Canadian-produced content to reach a broader audience,” including indie Canadian films.

The CRTC’s von Finckenstein added legislative changes will be required before Netflix or other U.S. digital platforms spilling into the Canadian market could be considered online broadcasters.
The Canadian industry players gathered in Ottawa for an annual gathering of indie producers are hoping to convince the CRTC that, if Netflix isn’t an online broadcaster, it points to a new model for video distribution that needs to be brought into the local regulatory framework.
The point about how Netflix is actually helping the Canadian industry is a good one too. There's a lot of Canadian content on Netflix in the TV section, especially since the CBC seems to be the only network willing to work with them right now. Hell, Netflix is probably doing a better job of promoting Canadian productions than Global and CTV combined.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sprawl posted:

gently caress Teksavvy.

I Told them to cancel my account for the 30th they charged me a full month on the 14th, and canceled it on the 19th.
I moved recently, and for some unknown reason the dummy at Teksavvy who processed my move order also changed my speed from 25Mb to 6Mb. Turns out that the Cellpipe modem they gave me won't even work on a line that slow, and I wound up having to wait a week before they could send another tech out to give me the speed I'm supposed to have.

Their prices and download caps are good (for Canada), but their customer service leaves much to be desired.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

I got one of those emails too, but mine had my new price.

quote:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from High Speed DSL 25 / DSL à haute vitesse 25 at $52.99 to High Speed DSL 25 Pro / DSL 25 Pro - ON - RED at $39.99.
A 25% cut in my cost is pretty good, I can't remember Rogers or Bell ever giving me a discount out of the blue like that.