Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Does anyone have experience with Teksavvy's cable internet in the Lower Mainland?

I've been with Shaw since I moved out of my parent's place in 2006, and have had zero complaints about them. When they brought up UBB for their customers I was dissapointed and looked around for different options. Then when they backed down and said they'd consult with their customer and maybe bring out some different packages, I was heartened and thought I'd stick around to see what they had to offer.

Then I started looking into the whole CRTC thing and found that even after that, Shaw is still arguing alongside Bell et al in favour of UBB. And seeing Teksavvy argue against it, I thought to myself "Why would I stick with a company that just wants to gently caress me, when Teksavvy's views are more in my interest?"

So I'd like to vote with my money. With Teksavvy I could get a 300GB cap (that's enough for me) at 15/1 (what I have now with Shaw) for about $20 less per month. Or unlimited for about what I pay Shaw right now. Sounds pretty good so far. How are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

Here comes the fun times for Shaw customers, good thing they held all those open houses! From what I understand Shaw basically asked if customers would switch to a "lesser service provider" (I read that as dial up) if Shaw raised the prices/installed UBB. A majority responded that they would opt to stay with the higher price rather then leave for a lesser product, Shaw then interpreted this as an opportunity to gently caress over every customer where there is no competition.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/113858

Looks like I will be switching over to MTS in June which is a shame as I would prefer to have kept my shaw e-mail address, unless anyone has any information about MTS also supporting UBB. At that point my balls are in a salad shooter since those are the competing ISPs here.

Yeah, I saw that. Good thing Teksavvy is offering cable in Greater Vancouver, because gently caress Shaw. I was preaching the good name of Shaw a year or so ago, because I got great speeds and they never cared about monthly limits. After the whole UBB kerfuffle in the last couple months ago, I was tempted to just switch to Teksavvy, but decided to wait to see what Shaw was going to offer with their new packages. Now that I've seen they want to gently caress me, I'll be switching.

Shaw did just up the speeds of Extreme from 15/1 to 25/2 which is pretty nice, but it's with the same 100GB/month cap, so that just means I'll burn through my cap and start earning them $1/GB even faster.

To top it off they increased the monthly price from $57 to $59. Normally I wouldn't give much of a gently caress about $2/month, but the fact that they've done that, and are going to gently caress me, well, that is just too much. Especially when Teksavvy will give me 15/1 300GB/month for $37/month (300GB/month would probably be fine for me), or 15/1 unlimited monthly for $55/month.

In Summary: gently caress Shaw.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure why you guys are all :suicide: when it was the Conservative Industry Minister that told the CRTC that their decision sucked and to re-examine it. There are plenty of things about the election results to not be happy with, but I don't know if UBB is one of them.

Anyway, yesterday I pulled the trigger and cancelled my Internet service with Shaw, and signed up with Teksavvy for their 25/2 cable (same as Shaw, but 300GB/month for $20 less? Sign me up). I've read a few horror stories online about people switching from Rogers to Teksavvy back in February/March, so hopefully the transition is smooth. I guess I'll know May 12, when the switch is supposed to happen. Teksavvy tells me it should be pretty seamless, a tech won't even have to come out. If my internet doesn't work for a few days, I can always ask my neighbours for their WPA key, I guess.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Who says they aren't? :ninja:

j/k My Teksavvy cable gets hooked up on Saturday and I'm picking up my modem tonight :D

Mine is supposed to switch over from Shaw today. I can still remote home so it must not have happened yet. I'll power cycle my modem when I get home and see if it switches. :f5:

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Lemons posted:

Mine is supposed to switch over from Shaw today. I can still remote home so it must not have happened yet. I'll power cycle my modem when I get home and see if it switches. :f5:

Here's an update to this.

It was supposed to be switched over yesterday, but I had no idea when. I power cycled the modem a few times last night but it always came back with a Shaw IP.

This morning I woke up and checked. No internet, and flashing send and receive lights on my modem. Power cycling didn't help. At this point it was starting to sound like some of the horror stories I'd read online about people being without internet for a week or two when switching.

So, I called Teksavvy tech support, gave the guy the story, and he said it sounded like Shaw hadn't switched me over properly. He sent something off to Shaw to have them fix it. He said it should be fixed within 24 hours. I left for work and hoped it would be fixed by the time I got home.

Well, I just checked my VOIP service and saw that my home phones had registered from a different IP than usual. So I sshed to that IP, and sure enough, I'm back online. From the time I called to the time that I discovered I was back, it was a maximum of 1.5 hours. I was a little wary of having to call Teksavvy to have them to call Shaw to get poo poo fixed, but I'm pretty impressed with that.

Speeds seem the same as they were with Shaw, 23Mbps down, 2.1Mbps up.

:thumbsup: so far, but I haven't really used it much. I'll put it through it's paces this weekend.

Lemons fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 13, 2011

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

God drat it. Clement was a bro on the whole internet issue. I hope the new guy will be good.:shobon:

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

After looking over their new plans, I'm still pretty happy that I switched to TekSavvy.

I don't have or want cable TV, so from the looks of it, I'm left with the choice of Extreme 25/2.5 (same as Teksavvy), 250GB (50GB/month less than TekSavvy) for $59/month ($22/month more than Teksavvy), or the 50/3, 400GB package (plus cable I don't want) for $48/month more than what I have with Teksavvy. The extra speed would be nice, but 25Mbps is already pretty good, and I wouldn't pay $48 more for really that alone. It'll be interesting if Teksavvy will be able to offer a higher speed in the near future, though.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Sounds like a good place to be from.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Just got this email from Teksavvy:

Before I was on the TekSavvy Pro plan, which was $37/mo, 25/2.5, 300GB/mo, which I was really happy with. I guess now I'm going to have to go to the Unlimited 25 plan, for $13/mo more. Lame.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I live in Burnaby, and Shaw offers 200Mbit internet. I was just wondering if there was any truth to the claim that teksavvy would advertise 25Mbit internet that only performs as 7Mbit in real–world usage.

I'm on 25mbit teksavvy in Surrey and it's 25mbit.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Lord Justice posted:

Teksavvy is available in Langley, B.C, correct? If so, is it better than Telus/Shaw? Looks like it is.

I have it in Cloverdale and it's great. 25/2.5, unlimited per month for $45, beats the hell out of the others.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Their issue isn't that you have a copy of it, it's that you were distributing a copy of it.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I got an email saying that my price was lowering, then the email says

quote:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from TekSavvy Extreme Cable 25 Unlimited / TekSavvy Câble extrême 25 Illimité at $44.95 to Cable 25 Unlimited / Câble 25 Illimité at

So they took "extreme" out of the name of the package. Cool.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

It's 2013 and I can't stream a 360p YouTube video without TONS of buffering. What the gently caress.

Teksavvy 25/2.5 cable in BC. This has been happening for the last couple of months, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I did that on my DD-WRT router and it made no difference.