Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Hmm, Netflix comes to Canada, Bell institutes global bandwidth caps and buys CTV all within months of each other. Nothing going on there. Nope. Not a thing. But hey, I can watch CTV on my phone for the low, low price of $10/month.

less than three posted:

haha Shaw did the same thing to me for a long time. I kept telling them that there are no stations that I watch that I can't get on my antennae. Eventually they just gave me free digital cable. No strings. I love Shaw and look forward to their cellular offering.

e: despite the constant BUY OUR HOME PHONE snail mails. I already pay too much for my cell phone, I don't need another phone.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's already started. With my Bell Mobile plan I get 500mb general internet and unlimited Facebook/Twitter and I think myspace. Why would I need more than 500mb when I get UNLIMITED FACEBOOK?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

How long until Telus gets wise to the money to be made here?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's a twisty turvy world I live in when Telus is being made out to be the good guy. That being said Shaw would have to gently caress up much more colossally than they already have to make me ever consider Telus services. Besides it's only a matter of time before Telus announces that it's "brining our prices in line with industry standards..."

Maybe in ten years the technology will be sufficiently advanced to reliably deliver all my content wirelessly and unlimited by Mobilicity or Wind.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Novus isn't available in my area and I'm literally two blocks into Burnaby from Vancouver :(

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Now let's hope he gives the CRTC the finger just like he did on the WIND Mobile decision.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Rather than spending $5 for an extra GB of internet I could get a

Five

Five Dolla

Five Dolla Footloooooooooong

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aign=DTN+Canada

Hopefully this will be the first step in the government coming around to realizing that the CRTC is incapable of meeting it's mandate, and is instead trying to make their buddies more rich than they already are.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Kevin O'Leary is a tremendous rear end in a top hat and would likely back UBB imposition on resellers even if he understood how the Internet worked, as shown by his continued use of the word "parasite". I also have it on good authority that he regularly crank-calls his cell provider's customer retention line to get a better deal, so he must enjoy overpriced telecom services on a perverse level.

I find O'Leary amusing because he is literally a caricature of the evil, greedy capitalist that would sell his own mother into slavery for a nickel.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I agree. I'm definitely switching to Teksavvy once I stop getting these sweet student deals from Shaw. $24/mo for 100GB @ 15Mbits is a great deal (for Canada) any way you slice it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Has the UBB issue already been discussed? I'm watching CPAC, and they are talking about the Canada-Panama free trade act.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

To follow up, in August Shaw typically offers deals to students. You need a student ID and a confirmation of enrollment to get it. I'm getting full (non HD) digital cable and 100GB @ 15Mbit for $65 after taxes. You get the special pricing for 12 months, and have the option to pay up front for the entire year. Because I was a customer prior to returning to school I had the option to continue paying monthly.

Once I stop getting these deals I'll likely switch to Teksavvy just because Berger is awesome. I'll also dream of a day when you can get decent TV over the internet in Canada (never (when George finishes his next book)).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

While I think he's plainly incompetent, the 3d gaming line can be plainly explained away by referring to the downloading of the game content (steam), rather than the actual playing of the game which takes relatively little bandwidth.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Tony Clement seems like the only one involved that even remotely understands the issue. Between this and the Globalive ruling, he's quickly becoming my favorite person in government.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Tweeting during meetings is one thing. Tweeting on your own time is another.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kreez posted:

Browsing through Facebook, I see that a ton of people I went to school with or whatever have joined anti-UBB groups. I know the vast majority of these people have a cheap Bell account. Overturning UBB has nothing at all to do with Bell's rates, it's just their applying their lovely rates onto 3rd party ISPs, right?

Obviously some of these people are waking up to there being other options out there, but I can't help but feel there are a ton of people who are as informed on the issue as the head of the CRTC, and are just being against UBB for the sake of being against it.

Yeah, at its core this has nothing to do with us wanting to pay lower prices (though we do). Bell et al should be free to gouge the customer as much as they want, as long has the customer has the choice to switch to another provider that offers a better deal. The problem is that the ridiculous markups they charge their customers should not apply to their wholesale customers. It doesn't cost them but a very small fraction of what they charge us to provide the infrastructure, and wholesale customers should be able to set their own markups based on the base cost of maintenance of said infrastructure plus a reasonable markup.

The UBB bill whose name is disingenuous, allows not for billing based on usage, but allows the infrastructure owners to charge retail prices to wholesale customers, essentially allowing them to set the prices that their competition must charge to their retail customers. In such an environment any sort of competition based on price would be impossible, and we will face a situation similar to the one we have in the cellular market, which if you may recall recently had government intervention to help introduce new competitive elements.

e: The problem is that the only way to get people riled up and make a difference is to invoke an irrational emotional response in them (Thanks Bernays) by painting a picture of a bleak future in which watching their favorite "cat sliding into a box" video on YouTube costs them $5 a pop.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Somewhat related. Canadian Cellular access gets shittier: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/court-quashes-tory-cabinets-globalive-decision/article1895099/comments/

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

For me it's the opposite. Canada post is poo poo for speed, but they have a location 2 blocks from where I live so I can easily go pick up. UPS is the same, but faster, and their location is on the same block as me. Fedex on the other hand doesn't even bother to try to deliver. They just stick a note on my door whether I'm home or not, without ringing, with instructions for me to take a hike out to the nearest run-down industrial area where no public transit ventures in order to pick it up. They are faster than Canada Post though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

less than three posted:

Just placed my order for Internet to switch to Telus.

$15 for Optik High Speed, $15 for Optik TV for 12 months.

The guy told me tomorrow is the last day for the promotion, if anybody else was thinking of switching.

Did you have to sign a contract? How much is it after the 12 months?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I hate that this sort of policy is entirely decided by individuals who have absolutely no knowledge about what it is that they are regulating. I don't think that Finckenstein is being deliberately malicious after seeing the last session, but rather I think that he is clueless and just taking Bell's word for it because he used to work with them.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Hello fellow Waterloser!

You should check out Yak instead. They're on the same equipment but seem to be a little more legit than EyeSurf: http://www.yak.ca/exclusive/

Also, the Teksavvy support team indicated that K-W was one of the next on the list for cable so you may even consider waiting an extra month or two (or three).

Yak is Globalive, which is in turn Wind Mobile, so you at least know that they mean business.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is there a video stream of this one? All I can find is audio.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's ok, if UBB goes through I'll need to get used to only getting audio anyways.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Hahaha, "How much does it cost to produce a Gigabyte?"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

less than three posted:

Well Bell/Rogailures, looks like the West is safe for now!

Shaw backs away from usage-based Internet billing.

Wow, I am genuinely suprised. It wasn't until this happened that I started lumping Shaw in with the other three jerks. Hopefully they'll continue with their otherwise excellent service.

Also the sun is literally the worst 'news' publication I have ever read.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That doesn't stop it from being terribly written schlock.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Just tuned in. I've got to go out soon, hopefully I can get this poo poo on my phone. Burn up some of my mega bites.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'll be on the skytrain when Bell and Shaw are on. If you see SKYTRAIN HOMICIDE on the news tonight, you know what happened.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Could someone please post a direct link to the stream. The android browser doesn't like their pop ups

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an android player that can render the stream (I even tried rockplayer), so keep the updates coming as I furiously menu+r.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

is there a recording of this available?

edit: nevermind, found it.

e2: yeah Shaw is definitely back on my list of motherfuckers.

e3: it infuriates me that Bell and Shaw manage to completely avoid the issue that capacity has nothing to do with the number of Gigabytes someone uses. I want to ask those morons how limiting my internet traffic on a monthly basis will change when I use it during a single day, since their "congestion problem" occurs in the evening.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 11, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

booooo

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I got invited to one of the Shaw open houses in Vancouver. This should be interesting.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

And now that peek hours are over I get an extra 13 Mbits of downstream.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That's normal for Telus. It's got to do with the technology used. When I was with Telus my DSL was really consistent, I assume optik is the same. My understanding is it's because you don't share part of your total capacity with your neighbours. I live in a very densely populated neighbourhood.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

So I'm off to Shaw's public consult tonight. We'll see how that goes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

less than three posted:

Shaw is having "town hall" style meetings to discuss their plans to implement UBB on their clients.

The official word is that there is going to be no UBB whatsoever, and they want to get all different ideas on what alternatives to a cap based internet we'd like to see. Most of the discussion was having pricing based on speed rather than volume.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm sure that if they are willing to put up a microwave receiver one of our ISPs would be happy to beam them some internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I was watching CTV and a Telus representative says that they will be implementing UBB later this year too. After having the VP of SHAW lie to me through his teeth at the public consults I was actually considering giving them a shot, but this doesn't really bode well. Are there any alternatives for television service in Burnaby?