Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Toronto, Yonge and Davisville. They really zip up and down getting the cables in. My whole building looks to have been completed in a day and a half. I'm surprised Bell would even attempt an interior install when they can blast a drill through the walls as recklessly and as quickly as I got to witness today..

I'm up and yonge and finch. We have very straight vertical risers for our telephone cable, and they thought they could make it through the existing shaft. They were wrong, but mostly because the initial assessment team were dumb asses who didn't bother to ask a bunch of important questions.

I just hope they can get the external team onsite sooner rather than later, we are already a month behind and it's annoying to be so close to gigabit and not have it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Bell guy came today, took about 3 hours start to finish. I'm liking this insanity:

Do a speedtest.net using a beanfield server. You'll get more consistent results, because the dslreports one is level3 in LA or something.

Still waiting on my building to do the fibre install. I need to ask if there is a new date yet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

John Capslocke posted:

I expected nothing, but I'm still disappointed.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-312.htm

tldr: FTTP access prices cost more than the entire service from the incumbent.

Wall of shame, Bell @ $121.79, and Cogeco @ $172.43 for all service regardless of speed.

That's just the proposed rates, not the CRTC approved ones. The whole document is so bold faced though I wonder if the incumbents think they have buy in now that they have an industry lobbyist heading up the CRTC. It'll be months before this is all resolved, and if it doesn't go their way, the incumbents will ever so slightly change their offerings (70mbit down instead of 60) and file new crazy tariffs that have to be contested all over again. Just keep abusing the process to bleed your enemies dry.

FYI: that $121.79 is just for access to the customer demark. Transit costs and peering costs are not included. As a comparison, Bell offers end users gigabit internet, TV, and telephone for $99.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Migishu posted:

Wait

Videotron don't have FTTP?

:(

Cable companies need it less, as a hybrid-fibre-coax upgraded cable plant can do gigabit offerings with good stability if the cable companies want to. Phone companies could not offer anything comparable over phone lines, thus they needed fibre.

CRTC has also said that it expects to announce the actual interim rates for fibre access on September 8th. Hopefully they will be significantly lower than the incumbent proposed rates.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm going to sign up with teksavvy, on the 30/10 plan as frankly that's enough, especially when it's just me and no flatmates.

I read on dsl reports that the modem they provide by default has a glitchy processor, so I've ordered a slightly different (but still approved) model on Amazon. Unfortunately it seems I can't sign up until I give them the specific serial number of the modem? That's lame, hopefully it arrives earlier rather than later so I can kick off the installation process.

The modems affected by that speed bug are based on the Puma 6 chipset (Cisco DCP3848 and Hitron CDA3 for Teksavvy). The downside is that those two modems are the only ones Teksavvy has that are approved for speeds above 30 mbit on Rogers. If you are going with the 30/10 plan, an older mdoem is fine, but just be aware that you won't be able to upgrade speeds without also upgrading modems.

Fortunately, a new modem, the TC4400, is in the process of being approved for Teksavvy on Rogers, and it is based on a broadcom chipset and doens't have any of the problems the Puma 6 based modems do.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

gently caress.

It is a specific set of circumstances for the bug to trigger, and it only affects latency in online games. You need to be downloading osmething with the modem and be playing a game at the same time. If you are sharing the connection it's pretty easy to have it occur, but if you are the sole user of the connection it's pretty rare (windows doing something in the background).

There is a thread somewhere on dslreports that goes into it in detail if you want to know more. All the rogers hitron modems are also affected, so it's not teksavvy only.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeardo posted:

Start is apparently laying fiber on my street. Ever so slowly toward my apartment. I don't need it, but knowing that it's coming is driving me nuts.

Bell committed to fibre to the suite in my building by the end of Feb. It's now October and they aren't going to get it done until mid 2018, if that. We have the in suite stuff done, but the path they were going to use to run fibre to their CO got destroyed something like 20 years ago when the sewer was redone on our street, and nobody at Bell knew this. They are now planning on running a new trench, but that's going to be $$$ so they've been delaying and giving excuses.

At this rate, TPIA's will get on fibre before I do. :/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, everything but games? I don't buy videogames anymore. I buy everything from phone cases to over the counter drugs to kitchen stuff. It's always in stock at a local centre and cheap as hell, with prime free shipping. I rarely have issues anymore.

The most common thing I encounter is the following:

US Amazon: Product X, Product Y, Product Z. All of them fulfill the same purpose. X is the cheapest of the bunch, and has earned a 4 rating. Y and Z are a bit pricier, but Y also has a 4 rating, compared to the 5 rating Z has earned. Z also has a company rep replying to certain questions.

CA Amazon: Product X and Product Y exist, but Product Z is nowhere to be found. X and Y are the same price, both about twice as expensive as their US pricing.

It's really weird and dumb. There can also be some variants, where Product Z exists, but is sold by a third party and is 2.5 times the US price, or where Product Z exists, but is a licensed product name, not the original, and is in fact a completely different product inside the package.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

I've said it before, but that's my biggest issue with Teksavvy's purchase model. I think the only modem in seven years that actually came out ahead on ROI was my ST516v6

Teksavvy is kinda being shafted by the incumbents, Rogers in particular. There isn't much they can do when they have no insight into planned access changes before they are rolled out, or when an incumbent simply doesn't follow the CRTC mandate at all, and isn't held to account for it in any way.

I've done okay with them, though. The savings over Bell/Rogers has paid for the devices I've purchased and then some. That's not the main reason I switched, anyway.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I get that they have no input on the planning and network upgrades, but other independents (e.g. Start.ca) manage to offer modem rentals. Given that there's been a pretty steady churn of new specs required for new activations, it seems like something they should offer.

That said, I use Teksavvy for my mother's internet service because I already had a modem from my old 150/10 service and that's saving a significant percentage on her service since she only needs the lowest speed tier for streaming.

I think Teksavvy has a rent to own pricing option now?

P.S. I wouldn't go for it, as the two current cable modems they sell for Rogers are both really crappy. They got screwed by Rogers, then screwed by the manufacturer.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah, they do rent to own. It used to require something like a 50% down payment, which made no sense, but it looks like it's $0 down now.

Lol @ Technicolor modems tho

You're going to be super disappointed when I tell you the Technicolor TC4400 is probably the best modem currently on the market. You can buy and use the R2 on Videotron right now, but it looks like Rogers won't approve it until the R3 revision ships in quantity, which hasn't happened yet (the R3 is the DOCSIS 3.1 certified version, same chipset, just minor adjustments and firmware updates). No ETA, but if they don't get it happening soon, they are going to get over run by Bells FTTH roll out in any decently dense market area.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No doubt it's better then the hitron puma nonsense Rogers launched their gigabit expansion with

Yes, it's Broadcom based, not Intel Puma 6. Testing with it shows none of the same issues the Puma 6 based devices have.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

As an update on my Bell internet installation saga:

- The builder is the most incompetent and cheap builder in the world (I inspected the house today, getting possession on Tuesday, i saw what they did) and has no idea about any bell representatives that could circumvent the process: "Call Bell for your internet, they should help you".
- 3 calls to Bell over a period of more than a week were only left without any good answer from the people I talked with. "I'm sorry, it appears that even though your neighbour has gigabit fibe available, you do not. Nothing we can do about that".
- The 4th call stumbled over a guy who said "No problem, we'll make it happen" offered a package with internet, tv and home phone for cheaper than internet alone ($73 vs $79/month internet alone), and guaranteed me that since my neighbour has the service available I definitely have it too and therefore next Saturday i should have it installed.

Now, all I can do is cross my fingers that this guy can get it done. Everyone else said "Sorry, no can do". If they are pulling it off, my next question is how do I bypass that router thingy they come with? Their crap has NAT, wifi, TV, etc. and I do not want or need it since I have my own equipment. But even if I have to double NAT for a bit, i'll be fine.

You can put the HomeHub 3000 in bypass mode, and establish your own PPPoE session with whatever equipment you want.

You can, alternately, open up a panel on the back of the HH3k and remove the actual ONT, which is an SFP+ device you can remove and plug into something else with an SFP/SFP+ port on it. There is a long as hell thread about doing that over on DSL Reports: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

You could also, if you have install trouble, post in the Bell Direct forum on DSL Reports. The people that monitor and respond there often have way better tools to resolve issues than the phone people, so if your install doesn't show or gets cancelled, reach out there with your address and ask if they can help.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I have a Mikrotik hAP AC I'm using as a router/AP direct off the fibre. It's fine but it tops out at ~840/915. I could use it as an AP only, but frankly I might as well just use the Home Hub for everything at that point.

There's only one model Edgemax that natively syncs the Bell fibre ONT at the proper speed and it's ~$750, or you can build a pfsense box but it's ~$500 for an SFP card that might work with some hacks, and the the 10G Ethernet cards, so again, pricey.

The Home Hub itself doesn't have "bridge mode" per se, but it allows full speed PPPoE passthough and has a weird DMZ mode that will just directly give your router the WAN IP address, neither one performs any better than just having the router connect directly though. So far the only way I've managed to get more than 840mbit down is directly off the Home Hub. Weirdly the same router managed 950Mbit off the Rogers gigabit connection pretty reliably, so something's odd there.

Not really a problem, just caveat emptor.

If I find a used Home Hub 3k somewhere I might see about gutting the firmware and just leaving the router intact, they've figured out a telnet unlock, but it's not something I'm going to do with the rental.

TPLink make a media converter for SFP to Ethernet for ~$60, and that gets you up to gigabit speeds with a router/firewall that can handle the throughput. You can also get an Intel x520-DA1 PCIe card from ebay that will accept the Bell SFP for about ~$120 to ~$160, and again it will let you get up to gigabit speeds and is supported under linux and *BSD (eg: pfSense supports it)

If you have 1.5gigabit service and don't want to use the HH3k, then you need something which can sync the Bell SFP in '2.5G' mode, and of the devices out there only one, the Edgeswitch ES-16-XG, does that sync reliably with the Bell SFP and indeed it is ~$500. This is just that the better than gigabit space has been very enterprise until recently. You are stuck with a big pocket hit or using the HH3k is you want the 1.5gbit service. There are experiments with other devices that have 10gig SFP ports, but the Bell SFP only supports 1gig or 2.5gig sync rates, and many of the 10gig SFP ports on these devices don't support 2.5gig sync rates. Also the cost is still very high.

The HH3k pass through mode is not really full speed, it's doing something to the pppoe stream, as you can put the HH3k in pass through mode and crash it by sending ipv6 packets over the pppoe link. The DMZ is also broken in the latest firmware (as is port forwarding), so, yeah.

Your router may not be able ot handle gigabit rate pppoe, there is some overhead in using Bell pppoe that isn't present on a Rogers cable connection. I don't know mikrotik devices well enough to know if this is what is impacting you, but there are reports of other 'gigabit' routers that really only do gigabit with no encapsulation and no QoS.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

I wish anything close to synchronous speeds were available here. Best Bell offers is 50/10. Maybe when full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 is deployed.

Don't count on it, Rogers doesn't see upload as any sort of priority, they barely put enough on their gigabit service to handle ack data, let alone any sort client data. Bell only does it because it's free* for them, and even the Rogers RFOG deployments can't do high upstream bitrates because they brought all the problems of their existing copper plant forward onto their fibre plant.

* Even then, some Bell FTTP areas have the upstream capped at 750mbit, not gigabit.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought at one point CableCos could just switch over to IPTV for their actual cable service and just free up all the frequency that is used on cable for internet downstream and upstream channels?

They could, but getting every legacy device that is lurking on their network replaced would be a huge expense, and nobody is willing to bite the bullet on doing it because it'll impact their bonuses.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

I think my fave new Bell thing is that there's no middle tier speed anymore. You got 25, 50, or 1,000 Mb options. No more 150 or 300.

There is a 100mbit option if you are hooked up to the right type of remote CO and pair bonding is available at your address.

I'm super suspicious Bell did this to try to get much higher access rates locked in for TPIA, because lower tiers on fibre would mean a much lower base access rate. Probably not, it would be too clever for them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

That's absolutely it. They're stuck in a stupid place where the lower tiers are them maxing out their VDSL infrastructure and the high tier is either direct fibre or, I assume, maybe G.fast. Cable is getting way more attention for speed improvements because you can maintain those speeds over a larger distances and a lot of the larger American ISPs are investing in cable. Bell is stuck on doing either a massive infrastructure investment or trying to be the best at wireless internet both of which cost a lot of money versus Rogers which can coast on their cable infrastructure for a while yet.

That said, this isn't the usual market competition. Rogers isn't going to twist the knife here because to do so would force the CRTC to actually do something about competition.

Everything Bell offers above 100mbit is FTTP using GPON (they are upgrading equipment to X-GPON, but haven't turned it on yet). Cable has the advantage of lower rollout costs as DOCSIS uses an existing plant (cable in the ground), but it's critically limited when it comes to contention for spectrum (either user count or user speed) and needs ever smaller loops as the speed goes up, meaning upgrades for the operator.

Bell has been deploying fibre pretty aggressively, but Rogers is quietly doing the same thing as they come up against the limits of their existing infrastructure. Stupidly, Rogers is remaining committed to DOCSIS, so the tech they have chosen is RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), which has all the costs of FTTP and all the problems of legacy equipment sticking around.

Bell's fibre upgrade is only happening because it brings a set of advantages all at once: It locks out TPIA competitors from their infrastructure (or at least prohibitavely raises access rates), it frees them from a whole host of telecom requirements (phones provided over fibre don't need to meet the same availability requirements in cases of emergency), and it should be much, much easier and cheaper to maintain once the upgrade is done, because the fibre is immune to a lot of problems that copper has (water, cold, heat, EM, etc).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there any kind of public plan or schedule for Bells' rollout?

Nope. There are some observations from how it is occurring, but Bell has only ever given generic statement in public.

The observations are, btw:
1. If an area has above ground (pole) based telephone service, it'll get fibre sooner.
2. The richer an area is, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
3. The older the current plant, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
4. Houses generally get upgraded before apartment buildings.
5. If Rogers upgrades an area, Bell is likely to as well.
6. The more built up an area is, the less likely it'll be upgraded, but that is starting to change as Bell closes holes in its coverage.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippecanoe posted:

I just moved into a new apartment and transferred my start.ca cable internet, but already I'm having problems and the Rogers tech told me that there's noise on the line, which I'm not eager to deal with. I noticed that the previous tenants had a bell fibre line installed; are there any quality fibre resellers yet? I'm eager to get fast and reliable fibre internet, less eager to deal with bell salespeople and prices. Location is Toronto if that matters.

Nope, Bell only. Trudeau appointed an industry shill to head up the CRTC and he is slow walking the rate setting process so much that precisely zero things have happened since he arrived a few years ago.

Cable based is it for third party high speed access of any kind.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

CBC story on the CRTC decison
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-lowers-wholesale-broadband-rates-1.5248892

And now today, as expected Bhell :negative: about it, because they can't keep making usury like profit margins on independents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-canada-internet-1.5252419

I love how Bell was able to announce the scale back within a day of the decision. It’s like they already had identified areas that weren’t going to be profitable to roll out and were sitting on the info waiting for a good time to dump it. TPIA pricing has nothing to do with this, it’s all bullshit.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippecanoe posted:

Did some CRTC action go down today? I got bumped on my start.ca connection from 150mbps to 250mbps at no cost

It went down months ago, but even the smaller ISPs take some time to revise their billing and tiering system, and that’s just happening this week.

There is the FTTP decision due soon as well, so 2020 might see competition there.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golluk posted:

This made me go check the service available, and Teksavvy and Start no longer offer DSL, just cable internet. Currently on Bell DSL, but even they don't show that anymore. Just Fiber to the neighborhood. I'd always assumed that means you still use cable or DSL, just it jumps onto Fiber sooner. Or do they actually run something like cat5 to your home?

The TPIAs got locked out of access to Bell VDSL because bell improperly classed it as a new service and petitioned for a new rate structure. Years later that’s all been sorted out and you can get third party VDSL. This can be sold as Fibre to the neighbourhood, or VDSL, but both are the same product: fibre to some local cabinet on a curb somewhere and pair bonded telephone line into your home. Speeds up to 100mbit are possible.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I guess node congestion could potentially still be a thing depending on the area, I'm in Ontario, and I haven't had cable for a year and a bit now, so I don't think I can give any particular insight there.

I know Rogers was having ongoing issues with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems being shite in general, but I don't know what Shaw uses now.

Rogers is offering the TC4400 now, which is a genuinely good DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Shaw might also have it, and any TPIA's as well.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

The issue isn't data overages it's the networks will likely fail because they don't have the capacity. The big banks don't have capacity for full WFH either :ssh:

Mine does, though we’ve been told to cut out any video streaming or conferencing if possible. Mostly we have activated DR sites and split people into different locations, so skills exist at primary, DR, and WFH.

I’m sure there will be issues, but most of my dept was already WFH on rotation, so the disruption for us is tiny.

Senior management is all in on stay home if you are sick, and all business related travel, gathering, conferences, etc are suspended until further notice.

So far, it’s been boring.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I just did a speedtest on my telus fiber 750 and at 8:50PM on a Friday night, it's handling load just fine

I fully expect another price increase as soon as this poo poo is done.

These speedtests tend to be 'rigged' in that the server you hit by default is inside the ISP. Selecting one outside the ISP and the results will be much less consistent.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

The nice thing is they don't have much power to block satellite internet because it doesn't rely on lines in ground, the bad thing is that satellite internet really sucks for latency

Starlink is committed to sub 100ms latency, and they should be able to do it given the number of satellites and the low altitude they orbit at.

It's not going to compete with fibre or terrestrial point to point wireless, but it should be very good vs LTE or dialup, and that's a big market.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

For all the effort they went in to put in a fancy DMZ type of thing so people wouldn’t want to put their lovely modem into bridge mode, Bell’s Advanced DMZ sure didn’t play well with my Edgerouter. I just did a PPPoE bridge anyway and it works fine so ugh.

The HH3000 DMZ feature has been broken for years. For FTTH, consider using the Edgerouter SFP port with the Bell SFP ONT. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's a separate VLAN for the Fibe TV PPPoE session and I believe a completely separate set of credentials. Setting up the VLANs isn't terribly difficult, but getting the Fibe TV credentials might be harder. Before the HH3K you could dump the router config and decode them from that, but I don't know if that's still possible.

Separate VLAN and a router that supports IGMP snooping. The Edgerouter is well documented, as it is one of the few devices with 2.5GB SFP support. The thread I linked has everything needed to set it up, but up to Martytoof if they want to or not.

There are no separate credentials needed, the TV devices don’t work that way.

Note that phone service requires the HH3000, no workaround for that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I’m guessing Teksavvy will actually dodge around a bit and have the withholding be about their legal fees, which the court said bell/Rogers has to pay, or will be a discount applied such that the monthly amount paid isn’t affected but there are some big red lines on the statement.

Nobody can see these so it’s all PR anyway.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

What I did with my modem is leave it be, let the tv working, but told my gateway to authenticate itself to bell and get a routable IP. Basically bypassing it completely. Of course I am not using its WiFi or anything.

My network is mine and their tv and stuff is on theirs. No conflict, I haven't setup any vlans, nothing. It just works.

Martytoof posted:

Oh now that I look at it I think that's exactly what I did too; Looks like I'm talking nonsense here. Thanks!

This works, but just FYI it isn't officially supported by Bell, and they have broken it with firmware updates to the HH3000 in the past. Some VPN software and certain types of IPv6 tunnels also make the HH3000 crash when this 'mode' is used.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good luck. The Home Hub 3000 is such a piece of poo poo router I'm waiting until its dead and buried before I even look at Bell again.

You can just pull the SFP+ based ONT out of it and stick it in your own router if you don’t want to deal with the HH3000. Requires a bit of extra fiddling if you want TV to work as well, but otherwise simple steps.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Tge HH3000 has an option for a battery but guess what's an upsell.

The battery backup connection for the HH3000 only allows phone service to work in the event of a power outage, internet and tv related stuff is dropped.

It was purely for regulatory compliance, and doesn't even exist anymore on the HH4000. It was also crap, the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore after about ~1.5 year, and bell required you to buy a new one, no warranty offered.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

I'd love to know who has the infrastructure in their home to take advantage of that.

I upgrading to 3Gbs ( it was cheaper than staying at 1Gbs) and ebayed some x540’s from china to take advantage of it.

I absolutely know people who have home labs capable of ‘using’ 8gbs, though I doubt it would have any meaning outside a speed test.

Pretty sure the target market is rich people with big families who have a 2 idevices, a tv, and a computer/laptop for every person in the house. They don’t need it, but you can easily get them to buy it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

Especially if their home network is all Wi-Fi. Though I'm not entirely sure how much bandwidth a Wi-Fi 6 router can put out with MU-MIMO and poo poo, even if a single device's link speed might be over 1Gbps. But true, I realize a few people will have 10-GigE equipment in their homes, but I'm guessing the vast majority using this won't.

If you get 3Gbs or 8Gbs, Bell is going to insist you use their 'Gigahub', which has pretty poor WiFi performance. Unlike earlier, both these speed tiers rely on xgpon, and there is no transplantable SFP module if you want to user another device. PPPoE pass-through works, but you have to ask Bell specifically to enable it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I looked at it and it's like $900 in new equipment to make the 3GB service worth using (for me), so I'm just going to stick with 1.5/940 for now.

Having the 940 up has actually been incredibly useful for work, I can't really justify a need to go to 3Gbit though.

1gbit was 120/month for me, but upgrading to 3gbit dropped that to 70 a month promo.

When that promo ends, I’ll probably jump to 8gbit if there is a cheaper promotion. The prices for each tier are pretty close without any discount, so this is going to be the game for a while.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Same. When I helped build my house way back in 2003 I went nuts with 5e in every room except the bathroom. I own a little bungalow so replacing the wiring wouldn't be too difficult, just a little too expensive to justify.

The speed rating is usually for 100m cable length. If your runs are short enough, you can probably get 10gb out of them if the devices on each end are high quality. The 10gb standard also supports 5gb, and there is a 2.5gb standard that should also work just fine with 5e.

I don't think 5e is going to hold you back much.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Nice cable internet there Rogers

I'm not sure how much a test from a phone reveals about the underlying connection.

Bell is fine, if you can get it:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I can get 3Gbps symmetrical here, and I could get 8Gbps a little closer to downtown, through Bell. I looked at what I'd spend upgrading my networking equipment and it just wasn't worth it.

I got 3Gbps because the deal was cheaper than my 1Gbps. I did splurge and buy some ebay T540-X2's to cobble together a network, but even a 2.5Gbit card would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

10 Gbps down/6 Gbps up is what I'm seeing for 4.0. I'm guessing that's still shared and individual subscribers would be seeing like 1 or 2 Gbps down, like with 3.1 which looks to have the same downstream maximum, going off of Wikipedia.

The upstream is very difficult to achieve in practice. You need to reserve a significant amount of spectrum for it and it is very sensitive to interference. In practice, no provider bothers. FTTH will always be better and cheaper.