Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

So is TekSavvy still the ISP to go with in the GTA? I'm moving fairly soon and I'm going to look into a new ISP, since my roommate stubbornly refused to change his ISP from Rogers. But if there are any other independents with good prices that I can support, I'd like to know what the options are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Teksavvy's in bad shape right now with respect to cable. Some areas are great and others are sub 1mbps but it changes as areas get congested and Rogers delays required upgrades. I would stay away from cable. If the 25mbps DSL is available in your area I think Teksavvy would be a good choice.

Is the 12mb OK too? $50/month is better than $70/month! :)
Just wondering how it'd compare to rogers - right now I can get *maybe* 1mb/s if a torrent is incredibly well-seeded, but 90% of the time I don't go beyond 500K during a non-peak hour. Peak hours I'm throttled

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

what are the biggest problems with TekSavvy cable right now? I contacted them about a new account and they mentioned it's faster speed for cheaper... at $11/month less for comparable speeds I'm inclined to agree - what's the risk? Has there been a lot of downtime lately?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

There has been downtime for potential subscribers due to updating the lines. This is because more people purchased TekSavvy accounts than Rogers accounts in the GTA area. It sent Rogers into a panic and the lines needed major updating.

If you live in a highly congested area or in a major apartment building, I wouldn't get cable. Your speeds would fluctuate too much. I tend to tell people who love in downtown Toronto to get DSL instead. Otherwise? Go with cable. Cable Extreme is now an excellent deal with the 24mbps.

hm, what about pape and mortimer? It's a little bit east, but I can't imagine it's all that congested... i'll be moving into a house where there is already cable TV set up, will this be a problem for TS?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

ugh. teksavvy isn't offering cable in my area right now (dundas + dovercourt). I offered to sign up for DSL with them today if they would give me a credit to switch over whenever they offer it down the road since they refuse to give an estimate (I'm not signing up now to be told I can switch over in a month), and even offered to move my landline over to them, and they didn't even want to try to make any kind of deal to get a new customer.

teksavvy posted:

If you want to go with DSL and the cable becomes avalible in your area you need to pay for everything all over again there isnt any way to give you the option to transfer to cable for free everyone that goes from dsl to cable are required to pay for the 1st month of service, activation fee and mdm purchase.

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Usually I don't reply to stuff like this, but people seem to think they can just bargain with TSI like people do with Bell and Rogers. You can't. Service with high or unlimited data *is* the bargain you receive when switching to TekSavvy.

I'm only fielding the idea with them because they can't say when they will be able to offer cable. If I want to sign up with them, and I buy a modem for DSL, and the next month they can offer me cable, I have to buy a new modem and I get charged an activation fee.

So in my mind, I'm better to go elsewhere, or, see what they think. If I bring them extra business with my landline, they're netting a long-term gain (landline combined with guaranteed internet customer for a long time) over the short-term loss of a $45 activation fee. I even offered to buy a new DSL modem from them and swap it back in exchange for a used cable modem, when the time comes (that's no-loss for them... I buy a $75-$100 modem that they can sell for $50, and they give me a $50 used one in return). Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Which, like I explained, isn't considered an inconvinience. People run both DSL and Cable all of the time. They are two different services.

Except that it's an inconvenience for me, a person who prefers the cable service over the DSL service for cost reasons (I'm signing up for 5mb DSL with the intent of upgrading to 12mb cable so no, I'm not trying to be cheap)

Lone Rogue posted:

Again, TekSavvy is not in the position to haggle or bargain.

What you're saying might all be well and true, but I won't know that until I talk to them about it, will I? The guy who responded to me first (who did so without signing a name) did so quite poorly and abruptly. I sent the same email through a second time to see what would happen, and actually got an intelligent person on the other end who talked to me about ways that I could keep the switchover costs down and actually engaged in a bit of customer service.

Every company can bargain, it's just a question of whether or not they actually want to. Hell, in my experience small business are far more likely to bargain than big ones. They could do the modem switch that I talked about in order to acquire me as a customer, and I would happily pay the $45 activation since I would more or less break even in the long run, rather than losing $120 for a new modem and activation fee. Let's be honest - as a company they make money, otherwise they wouldn't last. If they're going to put a blanket "sorry, we have no idea, try your luck!" statement over the whole cable thing, I'm going to think twice. But the second CSR I got may have clinched the deal with me... my misgivings were colored completely by the first person that responded.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

However, expecting a supervisor who has to deal with dozens of calls for people currently with service every day is going to do yard sale routine with you is unrealistic. But don't have me stop you. Keep calling and e-mailing.

who said i was trying to get in touch with a supervisor? I got a lovely customer service rep the first time, and a decent one the second time. Relax.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

You said you wanted a higher-up.

I said "Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses."

I understand how the heirarchy works, and was mostly just lamenting that the people manning the phones can't see the long term benefit of offering a compromise to people in specific situations (like me, I'm moving at the end of the week and need to make a switch now - wanted to see if TSI would play ball to get me as a customer, otherwise I'm going to measure pros/cons objectively).

The point was that higher-ups understand bigger ideas about where and how to take a short loss for the sake of a long-term gain. IE: help me out and you've got me - give me a lovely canned response and you probably won't net me as a customer, which loses them more in the long run. It's the same reason that you always ask to speak to a manager when you're dissatisfied at a restaurant, a store, or anywhere else.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Higher-ups = Supervisors and Team Leaders who do not take calls. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a semantics debate.

Yes, I understand what higher-ups are... I'm saying I wasn't demanding one, just lamenting the fact that those are the ones that would make the deal, not the plebes. But since there's no line to them, I can't. So I'm stuck with the people at the bottom who spout canned responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

how do I find out what POI I'm on? I tried google but couldn't find anything... want to know if my GTA location would be better served by cable or DSL (I'm near dovercourt + dundas)