Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oversubscription leads to poor speeds but packet loss or disconnections is going to be an RF issue somewhere between the house and the node if it's on the ISP's end. This is admittedly difficult to get looked at properly unless you have a tech that knows how the service works, has critical thinking skills, and isn't just trying to dump it on the customer.

One time I got into a back and forth with someone in the field tech QA team that was trying to cancel someone's service call because the customer didn't remove their own router when troubleshooting. The phone TSR troubleshooting knew their poo poo and tested the connection between the CMTS and the modem, which was showing massive packet loss and completely ruled out customer equipment so he opted not to waste the customer's time with that. I backed my dude up because gently caress saying he didn't do his job right when he's doing it better than they are.

I sorta got in trouble when it got to the point where I made a diagram showing the signal path from the CMTS to the customer's equipment and explained what was tested and where the problem was narrowed down to, and how getting the customer to get another wired device for testing direct to the modem would be pointless. The email she sent to my boss was pretty funny, like "what the gently caress is this, why is he treating them like they don't know what they're talking about?" Got some bad news for you, lady...

I basically quit Rogers over this issue. Packet loss was constantly spiking after they did a set of upgrades back in February/March that meant I was totally unable to play online games. Endless rounds of calls and no one seemed to understand the issue. They blamed it on the modem router, the wiring in the house, my computer. gently caress they even tried to blame the fact that my modem might be plugged into a socket with bad electricity. Despite a ton of people on the Rogers forums telling them that they had major packet loss issues they didn't take it seriously and just blamed the customer.

Went to Bell/Virgin and all the problems went away. lovely part is I am stuck with 50/10 since they don't have fibe in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU