Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think it's probably because it's hard to market something that has such spotty coverage. (Unless you're Bell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ornithoptometrist posted:

It's extra lovely because I only just found out about EyeSurf here in Waterloo!

Hello fellow Waterloser!

You should check out Yak instead. They're on the same equipment but seem to be a little more legit than EyeSurf: http://www.yak.ca/exclusive/

Also, the Teksavvy support team indicated that K-W was one of the next on the list for cable so you may even consider waiting an extra month or two (or three).

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ZShakespeare posted:

Yak is Globalive, which is in turn Wind Mobile, so you at least know that they mean business.

Yep, it all comes full circle. Yak is also willing to give you a better estimate as to whether you'll actually get on their DSLAM's versus EyeSurf. EyeSurf said I would definately be in range of the Columbia-Albert DSLAM whereas Yak said 'eh... maybe... probably not'

I didn't end up switching to Yak because of that. I think my future is on cable.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ornithoptometrist posted:

EngineerJoe, I guess I'm not even that far from you, pretty close to that nearby King/Weber intersection so that might be bad news. But I'll tell my sister to look into Yak regardless!

Some users put together a (somewhat outdated) map of Yak customers and their service level: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24077703-

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Martytoof posted:

Bell and Rogers CEOs are doing a doubletake.

"Y--y-you can RAISE a cap? :psyduck: "

This is pretty good. I occasionally would go over my 200gig cap (although never got charged for it) but with 300gig I won't go over unless my usage habits change significantly.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Teksavvy Cable reports as available for my downtown Waterloo postal code now. I'm debating if it's worth switching now that Bell's trying to lay low. Anyone able to comment on the performance difference of Teksavvy's ml-pppoe DSL vs Cable in Waterloo?

I'm on their DSL service and it's mostly fine, consistent 5mbps. I just signed up for their cable service and it's being installed on Thursday. Keep in mind that if there are performance problems they won't happen now but when their link to the POI gets congested.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

bl4d3 posted:

So they can show up on any one of those days? Jesus. I though having a 12-5 time windows piss poor service.

They confirm which day they'll be coming a few days in advance so it's much better than the old 'stay home on Tuesday and we might show up at any time... or we might not'

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

cowofwar posted:

Only because they were a minority government. They now have a stable majority and no longer have to give a poo poo about anything.

Don't worry, Tony Clement has assured me through Twitter direct message that he will still be commited to the UBB fight. :emo:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tony Clement is no longer the Minister of Industry. We were probably screwed either way but I think this is generally bad news.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's only for the first few megabytes of a connection though so it's good for video buffering but not for large downloads. The real benefit is to your e-penis when you run speed tests.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Backov posted:

Wow, that makes me furious.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

triplexpac posted:

I recently got the Teksavvy Extreme Cable. Should I be upgrading my wireless router? Right now I have one of those 5 year old Linksys wireless G models. I know nothing about these things, not sure if I should be getting wireless N. Right now I have 3 computers on my wireless network.

G should be able to handle 15Mbps but you can test on http://speedtest.net/ to make sure. I would test on a hard line and WiFi and compare results. I had a first generation Dlink DIR-655 (N) that choked on some newer firmware and would slowly slow down over the course of a day which was only fixed by rebooting. I never had any problems when I was on Teksavvy DSL but it just choked after I switched to cable. I bought a new router and things are fantastic.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sprawl posted:

1 bad thing? no there was a series of 4 bad things.

I was supposed to get a dociss 3 modem and now i'm going to be stuck with a SB5102

They went ahead and billed me for that modem and said oh you should get a credit the next bill. Because on my original order i was getting a different one.

It was supposed to be installed tomorrow ish, now its delayed upto 2 weeks and they'll get back to me.

And the tech that did all that didn't even bother to try to phone me to explain what in the hell was going on. I saw a few emails go by and one said they couldn't get a hold of me despite the fact i had my phone beside me the entire time.

Just a really shady loving company.

I never had any of these issues with telus or shaw despite the gently caress they are both shithole companies.

Complain on the DSLReports forums. It'll get fixed in no time.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is that through rogers or Teksavvy?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Guitarchitect posted:

So is TekSavvy still the ISP to go with in the GTA? I'm moving fairly soon and I'm going to look into a new ISP, since my roommate stubbornly refused to change his ISP from Rogers. But if there are any other independents with good prices that I can support, I'd like to know what the options are!

Teksavvy's in bad shape right now with respect to cable. Some areas are great and others are sub 1mbps but it changes as areas get congested and Rogers delays required upgrades. I would stay away from cable. If the 25mbps DSL is available in your area I think Teksavvy would be a good choice.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Their DSL all seems to be pretty good compared to cable but Bell throttles torrents in the day time even if you're on Teksavvy. Check out the DSL Reports forum to try to dig up information. Most of the complaints are for cable at the moment.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Septimus posted:

Is a DOCSIS 3 modem required to benefit from the speed upgrade?

Yes, with a DOCSIS 2 modem I think you're limited to 10mbps by Rogers.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lone Rogue posted:

Our (Teksavvy) DOCSIS 2 modems can handle 30mbps but nothing more. If Rogers is selling modems that can't handle that, yikes.

I was under the impression that the modems can handle it but Rogers doesn't allow it (For TPIA customers as well as Rogers customers) because it's a greater load on the network due to a lack of channel bonding.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lone Rogue posted:

What's loving hilarious about this is that every study I read while working at Teksavvy done independently said that Canada had was second only to New Zealand for first world countries with the worst Internet pricing.

I have a friend from Calgary who's staying in New Zealand for a year and this is absolutely true. All the public wifi points limit you to some ridiculously low amount like 50MB and the quotas for home internet are also low. At least you can potentially see what their issue is by looking at a map. Canada really doesn't have that excuse.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

krooj posted:

loving hell - I've gone with a local DSL provider in Kitchener for almost two years now, and their speeds are poo poo. I get no more than 3Mbit down, which is useless when you have two VPN connections, plus Netflix. I even let them setup bonded DSL for me, but the second line does nothing. I just cancelled service and decided to go back to cable, but found out that Teksavvy isn't bringing on more customers in Kitchener-Waterloo. Looks like I'm back with Rogers ... :ughh:

Why don't you check out Distributel? http://www.distributel.ca/

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm in KW too and you have a few options. If you go with any of the third party cable isp's I would suggest you wait if/until Rogers bumps their speeds (from 24mbps to 28mbps for instance). This should occur by mid-March. The reason to wait is that they aren't really upgrading the TPIA's backhaul connection and it's possible to end up with another serious congestion issue that could take months to resolve.

Yak is another KW specific isp that runs their own DSLAMS so it only uses Bell for the copper wire from the office to your home. If you're close enough to their DSLAM you'll probably be really happy.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

univbee posted:

Not sure how widespread this is, but Teksavvy's network routing in at least Montreal seems to have hosed the dog; most websites work but a few don't, including SA and Battle.net. At least it wasn't a week from now.

Yeah, imgur is inaccessible too which makes reddit pretty useless. I can say that my parents DSL connection in Montreal and my cable connection in Kitchener are both affected.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bonzo posted:

And I was just about to contact Teksavvy about getting cable service in the KW/Cambrige area.

Or are they still on stop sell?

There is still a stop sell for KW.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

mmm11105 posted:

Any one have suggestions for ISP's in Niagara (spec. Fonthill). Currently on a small local DSL provider (Vaxxine), who prices are great but speed and service leave much to be desired.

Can't get teksavvy as I have Cogeco lines, not Rogers.

Can you get Teksavvy 16 or 25 mbps DSL over there?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The post is gone... what did it say?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If you do a trace route it should show up in the results.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Why not try Teksavvy Cable?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Septimus posted:

Indeed, I was with TSI DSL for about two years before suddenly experiencing issues similar to Stanley Pain's. Switched to cable and haven't had any issues since. In other news I have officially cancelled all rogers services in my home. Everything I use is now provided by third parties. Not sure what to do about the increasingly expensive Bell landline I have...

If you don't need 100% reliability (and you probably don't if you all have cell phones) you should try voip.ms. Super cheap and pretty reliable (not as reliable as a land line). The only downside is that it's a DIY type of thing and getting the ATA adapter set up can be a bit challenging. My household has been virtually big telecom free since I cancelled my Shaw Direct service last month. The only service I have from Robellus is my Rogers cell phone provided by my employer.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

bunnyofdoom posted:

In more Teksavvy is the best news They slashed prices in response to Rogers BS about unlimited plans. As well, they applied it to all their customers with their service. They did not call people up and say "You need a new service to get cheaper" and actually notified all those it applied too that their bill would be lower.

God, I hope they continue being awesome.

This happened in March. I thought they did something awesome again :(

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

kiwid posted:

So, I recommended TekSavvy to my brother. He decided to go with a 20/2 cable package. He ordered it 8 weeks ago, it finally was installed today so I went over to his place after work to get the router going. Turns out there is major congestion in his area. He's pulling 0.86 mbit down and 2 up. Thanks, TekSavvy!

Do you know what Rogers customers are getting in the same area?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

TSi has a cap but isn't enforcing it yet. They will start in February and they'll have a reporting tool ready when they do.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

slidebite posted:

Speaking of, looks like Rogers is snapping up all sorts of streaming licenses for Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/10/rogers-online-streaming_n_4570780.html

For a Netflix competitor that will no doubt be tied to a Rogers cable sub or at least be heavily discounted with one.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Anyone who uses netflix really needs a dns redirector that lets you pick the netflix region. It really expands your library.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zigmidge posted:

And Joe, a VPN won't bring back star trek to netflix but thanks for your post anyways.

Netflix UK has some Star Trek stuff so you could try that. I'm not sure if they have the original series or just TNG but it's worth checking out.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zigmidge posted:

"How do you download so much?" in an ISP thread is as bait as "How did you play this game it isn't released yet?" in a games thread.

The answer is linux isos, Brace. Always linux isos.

That certainly was the answer back in the day but now if you have 2-4 people in a home all streaming video for many hours a day and a few game consoles/Steam you can easy hit a few hundred gigs a month. Heck, the Xbox One when full will auto-delete/download content as you attempt to play them.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

zergstain posted:

Has Teksavvy started tracking usage for people on Rogers lines yet? I thought it was supposed to start in January.

The tracker is up but they're not billing anyone yet. A bunch of people aren't getting reliable stats so it sounds like there are still bugs to work out.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A c E posted:

Is this for rCable? If so, I'll check mine and compare it against what my router reports to see if they are e...

Yeah, it's for Rogers. You can try complaining on DSLreports to let them know that their poo poo is broken.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zap the Cap is a really clever solution that works within the regulations. I like it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zap The Cap gives you unlimited cap all day instead of just from 2-8am in exchange for reduced speeds during 8pm-midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

rhag posted:

I don't understand where you're coming from: just because their cheapest deal provides nothing for an exorbitant price (nobody in their right mind would buy that), it means that i shouldn't even consider their better deal where they promise higher speeds for same or less money than the competition?
You would rather go with Teksavvy and pay almost the same and get a lot less just because they're not Rogers? How does that make any financial sense?

You need to look at the long term picture.
1. Part of the reason that these plans are almost reasonable is because of TPIA competition.
2. Teksavvy has inquired into these new tiers and will have to offer them in a few months. People on old tiers will be grandfathered in.

Rogers also has a tradition of quickly gimping their plans. Today that 350gig plan can easily be 300 in 6 months and 250 in a year.