Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

8ender posted:

That said, Acanac seems to be pretty hit and miss for quality. Prices are great but there seems to be a lot of complaints. Teksavvy is a little more, and they've had their own quality problems recently, but things have gotten a lot better and they're probably the best of the independent ISPs at the moment.

I live in the GTA and switched from Acanac to Teksavvy and it's been great. My service with Acanac went completely out one day, calling their support number said to open a ticket online through their site... Weak.
My home had no internet and all they could suggest to me was to "install a different DSL modem to test." do most people have extra modems just laying around their homes?

Cancelled Acanac after 3 weeks of no assistance and having to use coffee shop wireless to check the support ticket (which was eventually just sent to retentions, with no results.)
Switched to Teksavvy and it's been excellent ever since. Customer service and support are easy to get a hold of, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Space Cadet posted:

Today I upgraded to the 50/3 pack and the speeds are amazing, the only downside to this whole scenario was that I had to give up my beloved little motorola modem. Shaw gave me a SMCD3GN unit.

I just left my job at Shaw. The SMC gateways are terrible. We found all sorts of weird issues with them, especially the ones you mentioned. For some reason Toshiba laptops were totally incompatible with them :confused:

You should still be able to get a DOCSIS 3 Motorola modem, I believe. You're probably paying a monthly rental on the SMC, the regular modem would just be included normally as before.

What we also hated was that the gateways put the wireless troubleshooting on us, so we couldn't deflect router issues to D-Link or whatever. The calls about them never ended.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

We added some new high speed packages.

:woop: When I get a raise I'm upgrading my DSL service. Thanks for the news!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

justlikedunkirk posted:

I keep seeing ads for Shaw internet in Hamilton, have they expanded out now? (this isn't Shaw Hamilton/Shaw Cable I think)

They bought Mountain Cable about 2 years ago. I used to work there until recently. Odd that they advertise in the Cogeco part or the city too. Guess they didn't get to choose all the billboard locations.

E: Tech support is hiring there right now :v:

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2011

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Really? I've called Teksavvy three times this week and didn't have to wait more than a minute. It was great.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Okay, is anyone else honestly getting some bad throughput on TSI DSL lately? For the last four nights we've had pretty poo poo speeds, testing at anywhere from .8 to 2 mbit, when we have the 5mbit plan. We have a Static IP, so we shouldn't at least in theory, be getting throttled.

For reference, we are getting our full upload of 800kbps. So it's only affecting our DL speeds and giving us quite lovely ping to anything, even Ontario based Minecraft servers.

No issues felt here.
Hamilton, dry loop.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Now I just need TekSavvy to start reselling Cogeco's cable in Hamilton :(

........ soon, right? :suicide:

Right there with ya....

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Bonzo posted:

This actually works out for me. I have Dry loop 5/mb line with a static IP and pay, after the band fee, just over $50 with a 300GB cap. I stream and download quite a bit and hardly game so I barely touch my cap. Not counting traffic
from 2am - 8pm also helps me because I have my torrents throttled during the day anyway.

How does the band fee work? I have the same level of service, but I pay about $46 per month.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I used Acanac for DSL last year. When my service went completely out, I was told to open a support ticket online or by email. I wasn't able to address the problem by phone. Part of their troubleshooting advice included getting another, separate modem and connecting it to the service to test if it was my equipment or my circuit.

After two weeks of playing ticket tag from work and the local coffee shop, I demanded a refund for my unused service and switched to Teksavvy.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
My new place can get 16x1 cable through start.ca. Anyone know if that requires a DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 modem? I figure I can find one online for less than Start will charge me.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Sprawl posted:

that is docsis 2 range but it's usually not worth the hassle of using your own modem unless you've had cable service on the network in the past.

Fair point. I'll probably just rent one from them.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
That's criminally poo poo. How much do they pay per month?

My workplace had to get a quick and dirty Bell business connection for a group working in another building. It's 5 Mbps for $198 per month :froggonk:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Acanac has the lowest price, but they require you to pay for 1 year up front to get that rate.

I've had Acanac, Teksavvy, and now Start. Acanac has the worst support and billing by far. They told me to open a ticket via email when my service was completely cut. They don't seem to like dealing by phone. It was a struggle to cancel and get a refund.

Teksavvy was wonderful and took care of things nicely. I'd go back to them, but Start had better speed options in my area.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I use Netflix with UnoDNS and it's been awesome. Free trial if you want to give it a go. I can't recall if instant queue is there. I usually just pick and choose what I want to watch. It's dirt cheap $3.99 USD per month and all you have to do is configure a two DNS addresses on your router or PC.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I've been with Start since October. 20 meg / 350 GB service. Really happy with them. I personally haven't had a single issue.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with Start internet?

I've been using them since October for cable internet. It's been great.

E: I live in a Cogeco service area.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Start's caps are definitely more generous than Rogers. :)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Nice. Who's service area are you in? I'm with Start in Cogeco land and I can see my usage.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone actually use start.ca? I've seen it mentioned a few times as a more expensive alternative to TekSavvy (albeit more reliable).

I use Start.ca in a Cogeco service area in Hamilton and they've been outstanding. Speeds have been very consistent.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

dahkren posted:

Hey guys, my dad just got a $450 cable bill from Cogeco (sibling+their spouse living with him atm). I exclusively use teksavvy for myself, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with START communications? They offer a 55/10 plan with no install fee for $80 unlimited.

Seems like a good deal, especially not having to pay the 75$ installation fee which is nice, but I haven't heard of them before

I'm a Start customer in a Cogeco service area. Almost 3 years and fantastic service. I'm on their 30/10, not unlimited but it's an option for $15 extra.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I've only ever had an excellent experience with Canada Computers and find their prices to be very agreeable, especially their daily sales. v :) v

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm a Start customer in a Cogeco region and they're great. Definitely recommend.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Apparently a truck took down a pole in Oakville, Ontario and a few major Rogers fibre customers have been out of service for 23 hours (including us).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Former cable tech support slag here.

Let the installers do any coax cabling (and a signal test), or run your own ethernet.

Coax can be touchy and extending the coax drop with lovely hardware store cable could drop the signal enough to make your modem flap.