Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Dimentia posted:

I think there's a link to opt out of those when they show up, at least, that's how I got rid of them.

I noticed immediately after clicking that link and testing it again that it still hijacks you on DNS errors, but it just looks at your user-agent string and puts up a fake "can't find server page". So that wasn't really an improvement to me at all. Only a month until I cancel Rogers, as I'm just using them at college, so I'll just deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

So we switched our TekSavvy DSL to cable. The install was completed today. We're poor, so we can only afford the 10/0.5 connection. Did anybody else get that, or did you all go for unlimited 15/1? I seem to be the only one who posted a speedtest result from that package.

Now, what is everybody doing with their old equipment? Any chance somebody on SAMart, or, failing that, eBay would want a DSL modem? I also have a couple old routers too.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

drat you bastards going to non-lovely schools.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

Ahem :colbert:

Yeah, but you said you were running torrents at the time...

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

We've had TekTalk for a few weeks now. Service is working good, number ported on the date it was supposed to. But we received a bill from Bell a couple days ago because nobody warned us about Bell requiring 30 days notice when we ordered the new service.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Has Teksavvy started tracking usage for people on Rogers lines yet? I thought it was supposed to start in January.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Where's this zap the cap thing? I'm not finding it on TekSavvy's site.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

It says fiber to the neighborhood and high capacity coax to your home.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I've can't say I've ever had any issues with their phone support, other than sometimes waiting over an hour to talk to somebody.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

On the topic of Canadian internet, is there a map or any data out there about gigabit Fibe? I was wondering how widely deployed it is currently.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I never used these services, but I thought the whole point of them was to make it look like your requests were coming from a US IP address, which would only make sense if Netflix already used geo-IP.

I'd have thought it meant they would be blacklisting IPs belonging to known proxies.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

If they did lock it to your billing country, would they do if you were travelling and logged into Netflix? I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that they would have to show you the content for the region you are presently in. And if you are using one of those services, unless you connect from an IP block known to belong to one of them, they wouldn't be able to tell that you're not actually in that country.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

A Rogers tech came over sometime last month because we've been having problems with either upload or download dropping around 0.1 Mbit/s. He told us to replace the modem. Teksavvy wants some diagnostic info before they do that, but it takes several days or even weeks before the problem shows up. Now having read the latest posts here, I'm wondering if the problem is actually on my end.

I've seen many posts saying Rogers is a better deal, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, and it never was for 30 Mbit/s, which is the most we can afford. I just checked, Rogers is cheaper for the first 3 months, then it gets higher than Teksavvy unlimited 100, and they say it's going up even more at the end of February. Rogers does seem to be the only choice for speeds over 100 Mbit, so I suppose there's that.

From what I can see by the numbers, Start doesn't seem to be a better deal except for unlimited at the lowest tiers. I think I might see if we can afford the extra $5 to go to unlimited with Start.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Now I'm totally convinced the Rogers dude that came over a month ago to test the line was wrong about the modem being bad.

The support ticket for my issue has been open since Jan. 11, mostly waiting for my Internet to poo poo itself so I can provide signal levels and poo poo. Not once has anybody mentioned that this is a known issue affecting everybody on Rogers (is that about the scope of it, or is it limited to a certain geographical area?). Is that incompetence or something else?

Start is most likely getting a call tomorrow. Mostly because their 30/5 unlimited is a bit cheaper, and TtC is being killed, but also the reliability issues.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

infernal machines posted:

There is no issue effecting everyone on Rogers. There's an issue with intermittent drop outs affecting everyone on Teksavvy's rCable service. No one else.

*For example, Teksavvy's cable service in Alberta was also hosed for months, with massive slowdowns rendering the service unusable. Hard to blame that on Rogers.

That's what I meant by everybody, all the Teksavvy customers. I thought Alberta would be Shaw.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Is it my imagination, or is Bell gigabit Fibe available in less than 10% of Toronto? Any chance of full coverage before 2025?

Rogers says their gigabit service is available in my neighbourhood. Though I couldn't begin to afford it at $150/month. Is that not FTTH, or is it over DOCSIS?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

To all those that have 100 Mbps+ internet, did anybody get their homes wired up for ethernet after it was built? Can you tell me about the costs and the procedure? I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this.

Currently I only have wifi, which seems to max out at just under 100 Mbps, so it seems pointless to go above my current 60/10 internet service.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I don't see how I'd do much better than an RT-AC68U. The wireless adapter on my PC is AC1200, or 867 + 300. A 3x3 or 4x4 was more than I wanted to spend.

In my case, the cable comes in through the living room wall, so if we did run it inside the wall, I can't see it being done without tearing up a lot of wall, especially if every room was wired up. Maybe run some conduit, though that has it's own disadvantages.

Do you mean like the cable would just come out of the floor/wall vent and go to your ethernet port? Anyway, I'm not sure that would work given the layout of this place.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

drat. I haven't used NCIX since Newegg opened a Canadian finger, but I never imagined that they'd poo poo the bed like this.

I had some reason to use NCIX for some parts when I built my PC last year. Maybe Newegg Canada didn’t carry everything I wanted.

E: All I know is the only thing I ordered from Newegg was my power supply and display.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2017

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I tried that same test on a 150/15 cable connection (recent upgrade). I get about a D for bufferbloat whether wired or wireless. I don't know if there's anything I can do about it or if it's just a flaw in the equipment.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 28, 2018

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Evis posted:

Most things today work fine on ipv6. Contact the app vendor. It shouldn’t fail just because you happen to have an ipv6 address. Telus have had it on for years.

Is this only true for direct Telus customers and not those that use the Telus network like Public Mobile or Koodo? I'm on PM and my iPhone doesn't get a v6 address.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I wish anything close to synchronous speeds were available here. Best Bell offers is 50/10. Maybe when full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 is deployed.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

Don't count on it, Rogers doesn't see upload as any sort of priority, they barely put enough on their gigabit service to handle ack data, let alone any sort client data. Bell only does it because it's free* for them, and even the Rogers RFOG deployments can't do high upstream bitrates because they brought all the problems of their existing copper plant forward onto their fibre plant.

* Even then, some Bell FTTP areas have the upstream capped at 750mbit, not gigabit.

Best I can find anywhere over DOCSIS (even looked up a few US providers) is Videotron's 940/50. I'm sure eventually full duplex will be rolled out. I don't know if we'd be seeing it before the end of 2020 though.

I'm on Teksavvy rCable with what I believe is a 32x8 modem. Only 3 upstream channels are active. Maybe this full duplex poo poo will hit the TPIAs sometime after 2025.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

originalnickname posted:

So full duplex over docsis is a verrry complicated problem. I think your 2020 guess is going to be pretty close to what's happening.. The reasons behind it being a problem are a few:

a) First FDX radios are finally just being produced now.
b) based on how your cable plant is laid out, you've got 1 (or many) bidirectional amplifiers and taps that not only amplify signal but also noise, so by the time you get to the last node/homes, you're stretching the definition of "usable signal". Downstream you can make up for this by putting large amounts of initial signal down the pipe. Upstream, well, look at our fellow goon's melty modem story.
c) right now, because of how the cable is laid out generally, you need to remove the amount of actives (read:amplifiers) in order to make it happen. This means more nodes, and more fiber. So more trenching, more power, more right of ways, more permits (which is the hard/expensive/time consuming one). So while node prices are getting cheaper, you still need to be able to serve the new nodes with fiber shelves and power in order to make it happen.

So the normal technical goon is going to go "well, this sounds all very expensive, why not just go fiber to the home". You're right, that's the best solution but it's also like 4x more expensive trying to do that little bit of last mile, but also the CPE is very expensive, PLUS, people hate when you dig trenches to their house since a lot of these places were put in without pullways.

TL;DR, I think you're right, 2020 is a good guess for pilot FDX, and I think we're looking at 10 years before we see any cable company with a large amount of fiber to the home, if only because coax is turning out to be a pretty good medium overall.. Last SCTE they were talking about being able to put 1800-2000 mhz of frequency through cable runs, keeping in mind there's a lot of plants out there today that only support 750 or so.

If you're ever interested in more information, the SCTE has a ton of whitepapers on DAA and FDX, kinda neat stuff if you're interested.

And here I was thinking all they had to do was replace the CMTSs and maybe some other network gear since it used the same channels for up and down, and the legacy upstream channels would still be there for customers on DOCSIS 3.0/3.1. I just figured it might be almost 2 years before Rogers even spends the money on that.

I was initially going to say "before 2020," but then thought it might be more like late 2020.

Looks like you need a membership to access most of those whitepapers. I don't suppose the specs published by CableLabs covers that kind of stuff.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

8ender posted:

All the good spots have been mentioned but Mike's Computers seems reasonably good too.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I vowed never to use them after getting bitten by a lovely return policy. It was via Amazon, and I got my refund after making an A-Z claim.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

8ender posted:

I had the same experience using Canada Computers via Amazon. There's a stupid disconnect there where the refunds have to come from Amazon so you can't just return the items to a retail store.

I'm digging through my emails to get the details right here, but basically I ordered a wi-fi adapter from a Mike's Computer Shop on Amazon. There was some weird hardware compatibility issue with my motherboard, so I tried to return it, but they had a 50% restocking fee. I made a claim through Amazon's A-z guarantee, and ultimately got the restocking fee reduced to 20%. Looks like the nearest retail store is in Hamilton, and I'm in Toronto, so there's no chance in hell I'd have taken it back to the store.

Now I have TP-Link USB adapter that loses the connection all the time and pisses me the gently caress off.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

This happened back in December 2016. I tried to use the Wayback Machine to figure out if the policy on their website had changed, and it said 15% back then too. I don't know how to find their Amazon return policy. But yeah, 50% restocking on opened merchandise if the return is due to the customer changing their mind. Apparently finding out that it breaks basic functionality of the PC after installing the card is me "changing my mind."

I used PCP to find the lowest price on everything when I built my computer. I bought my parts from NCIX, Direct Canada, Newegg and Amazon I believe.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Lately I've been seeing speeds over 250 Mbit at night, but I only have 150 Mbit. Anybody know if that's an accident, or some undocumented feature?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Who the hell is torrenting without a VPN in this day and age?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Hollywood can still send notifications to VPN providers, ask me how.

Do you work for a VPN provider? Because if yours is forwarding notifications to you, then maybe you want to get one that doesn't keep the logs necessary to tie activity from your IP address to your account.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nobody is talking about how TekSavvy is now able to offer gigabit speeds over Rogers cable.

Why the gently caress is the upload speed only 30 Mbps on a gigabit plan? The fastest Bell offers where I live is 50/10. For some reason Start.ca offers 50/10 for DSL here, while TekSavvy only does 25/10. They're both $60/month. What's up with that?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I am aware that I'm limited to what Rogers offers. I'm asking why Rogers only has 30 Mbps upload.

As for DSL, I'd have to assume that if TekSavvy doesn't list 50/10, they won't sell 50/10. But they're charging the same Start.ca does for half the download speed over DSL for some reason I can't fathom.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Ignoring full-duplex for now, what's the best that could be realistically offered over DOCSIS 3.1?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

originalnickname posted:

I mean, I've experienced no packet loss at all with a 100mbit upload and gig down from Shaw, ever, so there I guess our anecdotes cancel each other out?

Oh, so Shaw offers 1000/100? That's seems close to reasonable, or at least maintains the same ratio as the 150/15 I have now. I'm guessing Rogers infrastructure is just woefully out of date?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Only on business plans here :( Best you can get in residential in my neighbourhood is 1000/25 for $125/month. Business tops out at 1000/125 for $201/month ($160/month on a 3 year contract).

...actually that's lower than it used to be. It was 1000/125 for $250/month or $165/month on a 3 year contract a couple months ago. Wonder if business internet plans still get you NOC access.

Just checked, Rogers fastest cable business internet is 1000/50. Which someone mentioned they used to have for residential.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I wonder when those of us that live in Ontario will be able to look forward to such upgrades.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

I've peered with Distributel in the past and they've been around for quite a while. I would suspect you'd be happy with them.

I always understood that Teksavvy was operating under razor thin profit margins, so I would have to ask what corners are cheaper ISPs cutting?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Nothing really. Different companies at a different scale I suppose. If you don't need the customer support aspect much, I assume that helps them keep the costs down.

They're still just reselling on wholesale rates so add whatever you pay on top of those rates and that's Distributel revenue.

They don't appear to have 24 hour tech support, so there's that. I would still wonder about hold times, helpfulness of the staff, etc. I expect that when it's working, it works just as well as anyone else. Or is it possible they don't have enough capacity to reach peak demand?

Are the wholesale rates publically available?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I was really just interested in Rogers rates because the DSL offerings in my neighborhood are poo poo. I don't know which of those tarrifs are the one I'd want to read either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Your link is broken.