Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

They list per modem rates up to 50 Mbps, but what about for higher speeds? Yeah, looks like to really know, I'd have to know how many customers they have in Rogers areas, what speeds they're on, and poo poo like the number of POI connections and how often they add more. As for the CBB, I assume it would cost them $1251.00 if this household transferred non-stop at 100 Mbps for an entire month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'd love to know who has the infrastructure in their home to take advantage of that.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

I upgrading to 3Gbs ( it was cheaper than staying at 1Gbs) and ebayed some x540’s from china to take advantage of it.

I absolutely know people who have home labs capable of ‘using’ 8gbs, though I doubt it would have any meaning outside a speed test.

Pretty sure the target market is rich people with big families who have a 2 idevices, a tv, and a computer/laptop for every person in the house. They don’t need it, but you can easily get them to buy it.

Especially if their home network is all Wi-Fi. Though I'm not entirely sure how much bandwidth a Wi-Fi 6 router can put out with MU-MIMO and poo poo, even if a single device's link speed might be over 1Gbps. But true, I realize a few people will have 10-GigE equipment in their homes, but I'm guessing the vast majority using this won't.

teethgrinder posted:

Lol ... I've always gotten ~250 Mbps down on TekSavvy Cable, when I pay for a 100 plan. (Sustained, not burst.) But my upload has been consistently 10.0 Mbps for six years or so. It's magically 30 now :iiam:

That's been that way for me for several years. I have 75/10, speed test says 204/31.75. The 30 Gb upload is new though. Used to have 100, but dropped down to save money. Speed hardly changed. Also just noticed that their current 100/10 package costs the same as our grandfathered 75/10. I don't know if we should switch since best case scenario the only change is the name of the package.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

If you get 3Gbs or 8Gbs, Bell is going to insist you use their 'Gigahub', which has pretty poor WiFi performance. Unlike earlier, both these speed tiers rely on xgpon, and there is no transplantable SFP module if you want to user another device. PPPoE pass-through works, but you have to ask Bell specifically to enable it.

Too bad the fastest Bell offers where I live is 50/10.

Chris Knight posted:

Someone explained it better a while back, but basically if you're getting better than advertised, then don't change anything lol. If you initiate a change in your package, you'll only be able to access whatever the incumbent is selling to the third parties. And that might actually involve an equipment upgrade, depending on what is considered "supported."

Well, we were getting +200 when we were paying for 100, and kept getting +200 after dropping to 75.

slidebite posted:

My house is hardwired with 5e throughout every room, so anything over 1gb is pretty much wasted... and to be honest for my needs (and I suspect 99% of everyone) anywhere remotely close to that is overkill and often can't get near that from the website I'm pulling from anyhow. Speed tests definitely show it though.

I put Cat 6 in in 2018 or so. Runs are short enough that I'm confident that we could get 10Gig without 6A, but the router and switch would need to be replaced, and every computer would need a new NIC. If we ever got gigabit+ service, it might make more sense to get a switch with 5 or 10Gig uplink port, but is otherwise gigabit. I've noticed the DOCSIS 3.1 modems all seem to have two Ethernet ports, so I assume to get full speed I would need a router that supports link bonding or whatever it's called.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'm not sure which is going to happen first in my neighbourhood: Bell installs FttH or Rogers completes the DOCSIS 4.0 rollout, but I'm guessing it will be DOCSIS. I think someone said the reasons fiber is better in this thread a long time ago, but I don't want to go try and find it.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Fibre is always going to be better because you’re not dealing with copper anywhere. It’s all light. Theoretically your speeds are unlimited, and trials are happening now for 50G PON. That would be 50 gig to your house.

Wait another 5 years, and 100G might exist over PON.

DOCSIS has a limit, and will fall farther out of a favour as the years go by.

That sounds absolutely useless to me since if I spent I'm guessing $500-$800 on equipment I could maybe do 10GigE over the wires in the house. And then there's Wi-Fi. Also wouldn't there be some upper limit to how fast the light can be turned on and off?

It's competitive now though, right?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

The biggest downside to DOCSIS is it can't have fast symmetrical upload the way FTTH can.

10 Gbps down/6 Gbps up is what I'm seeing for 4.0. I'm guessing that's still shared and individual subscribers would be seeing like 1 or 2 Gbps down, like with 3.1 which looks to have the same downstream maximum, going off of Wikipedia.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

As far as I can tell nobody has implemented DOCSIS 4.0 except in limited trials, so I don't know how one can say no provider bothers with high upstream bandwidth.

Anyway, what matters is what's available where I live, which is neither right now. It looks like DOCSIS 4.0 should be done by the end of 2025, but I have no idea if FTTH would be available before then. But I'm not holding my breath.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Teksavvy is getting a bit too expensive for us. What are some good cheap options for minimum 50 Mbit cable in Toronto? Preferably ones that offer TV too.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Wouldn't be the first time we've been with Start.ca. We switched to them some years back when they had a better deal, then later Teksavvy had the better deal so we switched back. Too bad it's only good for 12 months, then we'll only be saving $12/month over what we have now. I wonder who we'll go with once Telus ruins them. Is Distributel any good at all?

I'm a huge nerd so I kinda like having native IPv6, and last I saw, Start didn't have that, but surely by now they've gotten that straightened out. I suppose I really shouldn't make that a deciding factor, and I won't.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

If I ended up behind a CGNAT, I'd probably want to find a new ISP.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

How can you even tell? I'm in one of the densest parts of the country so I doubt I have a choice.

If your WAN IP address is in the range 100.64.0.0-100.127.255.255 that's a pretty good sign, as that's the special range reserved for CGNAT. Otherwise you could use one of those services that tell you your public IP and see if that differs from what your router reports as your WAN IP.

And I mean I would want to get a new ISP if all I had was a CGNAT IPv4 and no IPv6. I understand that measures like this become more and more necessary to maintain v4 connectivity to the internet for everybody, and last I checked, most things still don't work with v6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

A publicly routable IP address isn't too much to ask for, is it? I'd like a v6 prefix especially if I can't get a v4 address. A /60 or a /56 would be good, there are way more than enough bits to spare.

I've been thinking of setting up a home server actually. The hardware I have is an RPi, so it wouldn't handle any actual load, but I could maybe remote in. I have DDNS setup as well. I don't think it works with IPv6 anyway. Shouldn't need to, but I've seen my v6 prefix change on me. I blame Rogers.

I'm pretty sure torrenting works better if you can accept incoming connections, but for me that's kind of moot, as I don't see a way to open a port through my VPN provider.