Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Kesper North posted:

On this topic, what insulation/shell combination do you guys recommend for hiking in a Pacific Northwest winter? (40-50F, damp as gently caress and drizzling nonstop from now til June).

It's not going to snow much, but it's going to get wet, and the air is pretty humid so unless everything breathes pretty well you tend to end up soaked under your insulating wear. That's the problem I'm having with my current jacket and I'm pretty much fed up with it.

I found this north face dot matrix insulated jacket at TJ maxx on sale for 130$ and tried it out. It's waterproof with pit zips and 80g of primaloft in the chest and arms. If you run a thin down vest under you will get hot but by itself it might work on the move and then add a layer when you stop? https://www.rei.com/product/887746/the-north-face-fuseform-dot-matrix-insulated-jacket-mens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

king of the bongo posted:

I found this north face dot matrix insulated jacket at TJ maxx on sale for 130$ and tried it out. It's waterproof with pit zips and 80g of primaloft in the chest and arms. If you run a thin down vest under you will get hot but by itself it might work on the move and then add a layer when you stop? https://www.rei.com/product/887746/the-north-face-fuseform-dot-matrix-insulated-jacket-mens

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for these. Looks like it's discontinued though.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for these. Looks like it's discontinued though.

https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-F...rix+jacket+mens

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 12, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Kesper North posted:

On this topic, what insulation/shell combination do you guys recommend for hiking in a Pacific Northwest winter? (40-50F, damp as gently caress and drizzling nonstop from now til June).

It's not going to snow much, but it's going to get wet, and the air is pretty humid so unless everything breathes pretty well you tend to end up soaked under your insulating wear. That's the problem I'm having with my current jacket and I'm pretty much fed up with it.

For that I like a softshell that has zippers in the pits, but that is hard to find outside of a dedicated rain jacket. Right now I am sticking with a mountain hardware softshell and keeping the pockets unzipped and the front half open. Above 50* and active I prefer no to little insulation. Then I carry an extra underlayer for sitting around camp.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

How about a rain coat with pockets that have a waterproof inside? I still fish in the winter and end up soaking my chest eventually by sticking my wet, cold hands in my jacket pockets where I keep hand warmers and one of those super absorbent hiking towels.

I bought a loving neoprene surf fishing hoodie for this but I am an idiot for assuming that a garment designed for standing in cold water all morning would be anything but stiflingly hot for any lesser use.

If anyone wants an xl neoprene hoodie, I will cut you a good deal.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You could try an external hand warming pocket like this. There are probably less expensive versions from other brands, too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

bongwizzard posted:

How about a rain coat with pockets that have a waterproof inside? I still fish in the winter and end up soaking my chest eventually by sticking my wet, cold hands in my jacket pockets where I keep hand warmers and one of those super absorbent hiking towels.

I bought a loving neoprene surf fishing hoodie for this but I am an idiot for assuming that a garment designed for standing in cold water all morning would be anything but stiflingly hot for any lesser use.

If anyone wants an xl neoprene hoodie, I will cut you a good deal.

Picture and how much? I fish on the Pacific and this might be useful.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Picture and how much? I fish on the Pacific and this might be useful.

I will PM it you tonight but it's a Stormr Surf Top.

https://stormrusa.com/product/surf-top/

I would love to get into surf fishing and even have a rig, but it seems like MD is a dead zone for that and I would have to go to NJ or NC for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I will PM it you tonight but it's a Stormr Surf Top.

https://stormrusa.com/product/surf-top/

I would love to get into surf fishing and even have a rig, but it seems like MD is a dead zone for that and I would have to go to NJ or NC for it.

Very cool. I'm buying a kayak this spring and this might be nice to not freeze to death in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Is there any logic to how Magpul picks its hex fasteners? I've come across multiple different sizes both SAE and metric. The only more common one is 1/8 hex but it's definitely not the only size. I can understand if a bigger fastener needs a bigger drive but mixing metric and SAE is just bleh. I don't have a preference but stick with one.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm looking for recommendations for some footwear. I'm looking for something to fill the gap between athletic shoes and uniform boots. Going to be doing mostly hiking with them as my primary use, maybe some 3-gun and USPSA if I'm at a range I don't want to tear my running shoes up at as a secondary consideration. I'd prefer lightweight and breathable, definitely going to be using them in dry and hot environments the most.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I really like my Merrell Moab Ventilators for such a purpose.

e: Just be aware that their sizes are equivalent to running shoe sizes, not boot sizes.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Mids or shoes?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I've been using mids. When I checked them on REI last month, they were 25% off on clearance.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Might be placing an order soon if I can't find any locally. It's been a while since my last pair of Merrells but they served me well in my boy scout days.

If my running shoes are 9/9.5 and my boots are 7.5W you'd suggest the shoe size?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, absolutely. I wear 8.5 in mil issue boots, and bought my first set of Merrells only to find that my toes kept hitting the front of the shoe while on a hike. Went back to REI for a trade-in and found that the best fit was equivalent to my running shoe size of 10.5.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Any boot suggestions for people with a really high instep? I have trouble finding boots that fit my freakish mutant feet.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Does anyone know if any company out there produces a rifle butt cuff that would accept MOLLE gear?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Kesper North posted:

Any boot suggestions for people with a really high instep? I have trouble finding boots that fit my freakish mutant feet.

Get custom foot beds, its a small price to pay

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Or even just good insoles. I have some scarpa mountaineering boots (the old fashioned looking kind w the Goodyear well and all) that left me sore every time until I went to an outdoor store with a staff that knew wtf and had them figure out what insoles I needed. From then on, they have been crazy comfortable.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just for kicks I was thinking of buying a cheap chest rig to try some sort of 3 gun or carbine match in the future, but I don't want to spend $75-$100+ on something that isn't actually a need. I could buy a cheap surplus FLC, but I'm familiar with them from the Army and don't need anything that large.

Are there any cheap hopefully sub $50 (maybe some sort of surplus?) rigs I could pick up to carry 3-4 AR mags along with a few pistol magazines?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I don't participate in 3-gun but my understanding is belt rigs are generally preferred.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I just don't know about them, nor have I used one. I'm open for any suggestions really.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I just don't know about them, nor have I used one. I'm open for any suggestions really.

Show up to a local club match and run a backup rifle mag from your back pocket and pistol mags from the front weak side pockets.

... but If you must spend money just buy some cheap kydex ones for pistol, pistol taco pouches or something like the big ten speed pouches and one kydex rifle pouch for the back. Get a belt like a wilderness tactical 5stitch or polymer insert and go have fun.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I wound up ordering some cheapo Blade-Tech tek-lok pistol magazine pouches that look like they'll work well. Belt wise, I already have a really solid (Armour) leather gun belt so I don't really need to buy another pistol belt to wear on my pants. Thoughts on using a regular duty belt (I don't need or want MOLLE) and maybe a simple pad of sorts? Preferably something not black as I don't want to look like I'm pretending to be a cop on the range.

edit: maybe something along the lines of this http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd-bds-tactical-qr-buckle-pistol-belt.cfm

I have a Safariland 6378 I'm planning on using, so a 1.5-1.75" belt would let me use the existing belt loop without having to buy a new adapter.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 15, 2017

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm a big fan of the Ares belts, both the cobra and aegis buckles are nice. They're definitely technical in appearance, but if you're using it for a competition belt that's not an issue. They're 1.5" wide.

If you don't mind waiting they have "blemish" sales now and then.

There are a lot of similar belts by various companies that'll all be pretty similar in performance.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.

For belt pads, I've heard decent things about the Tactical Tailor one: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/dutybeltpad.aspx

HSGI makes one too that attaches directly to the velcro lining, but I can't speak for them one way or another: http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/micro-grip-95MG.html

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Anyone used a MSM Adapt Pack with a D3CR?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nausium posted:

For belt pads, I've heard decent things about the Tactical Tailor one: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/dutybeltpad.aspx

HSGI makes one too that attaches directly to the velcro lining, but I can't speak for them one way or another: http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/micro-grip-95MG.html

Yeah, I ordered the HSGI velcro pad + duty belt. Let's see how this works.

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.

Infidelicious posted:

Anyone used a MSM Adapt Pack with a D3CR?

I've seen it done, so it definitely works, you just lose a little bit of adjustability compared to the normal harness.

This article goes into a little more detail, but it uses the tactical tailor version instead: http://monderno.com/gear-reviews/haley-strategic-d3cr/

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

HSGI gun belt is some good poo poo. Bought mine used and it has held up well since 2013 and several deployments/field ops/shooting matches. Showing some wear but still awesome.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've got a 4-5 year old Raven holster where the retention's gotten looser than I like. I'm hoping that if I heat up the kydex a little to get it soft, then put the gun in it and apply pressure to the holster to tighten it up, I could improve the retention. I've got a heat gun and an oven; I assume the oven would be better. What temperature should I use and for how long? Am I totally wrong here or will this work?

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Craptacular posted:

I've got a 4-5 year old Raven holster where the retention's gotten looser than I like. I'm hoping that if I heat up the kydex a little to get it soft, then put the gun in it and apply pressure to the holster to tighten it up, I could improve the retention. I've got a heat gun and an oven; I assume the oven would be better. What temperature should I use and for how long? Am I totally wrong here or will this work?

If you wanna do it yourself, focus the heat on the trigger guard with a heat gun. That's where the holster applies retention. Raven also has a lifetime warranty and will probably just replace it for you.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Craptacular posted:

Don't heat up the holster and then put the gun in. You'll deform the holster, and have to remold it back, which should really be done with foam and a press.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What sunglassees are people using? I lost my oakley gascans awhile back and I think I need to replace them. Ideally I'd be looking for something cheaper and less doofy looking, but I'd like to keep some level of impact resistance.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

I like my hijinx but my face shape only works with squarish / rectangular frames so you might be able to wear some of their cooler stuff

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Been wearing Smith Hudson Tacticals w/ ignitor lens ever since I got my vision augmented

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DeesGrandpa posted:

What sunglassees are people using? I lost my oakley gascans awhile back and I think I need to replace them. Ideally I'd be looking for something cheaper and less doofy looking, but I'd like to keep some level of impact resistance.

I picked up some wileyX sunglass/impact glasses for like $20 at a NEX and I was content with them. I smashed them pretty hard in my work truck on top of my head a few times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

Been wearing Smith Hudson Tacticals w/ ignitor lens ever since I got my vision augmented

Smith ignitor lenses are indeed awesome but the frames I go (at like 75% off from like SteepnCheap) are super thin and soft, it's like having a baby bird in my pocket. I love them so much and dread having to replace them at full retail if I break my current pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

I was thinking of getting the Raven moduloader system for pair of AR mags/pair of pistol mags on my belt for general ranch fuckery. http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-system/

Would I want the subload system or the regular mount? Any other options that would accomplish the same goal for less money?

• Locked thread