Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just put some HSGI taco pouches on your belt or something I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Crunkjuice posted:

I was thinking of getting the Raven moduloader system for pair of AR mags/pair of pistol mags on my belt for general ranch fuckery. http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-system/

Would I want the subload system or the regular mount? Any other options that would accomplish the same goal for less money?

Two of these on a wilderness tactical 5 stitch belt?
https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Gear-Mounted-Double/dp/B00SRUR7XS/

e: the amazon tacos mount directly to belts instead of the molle back on the regular ones.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Don't get the double decker for belt use. I had one and they stick out to far and make grabbing your mags more awkward. I switched to the singles and much prefer them. They are really convenient when running multiple pistols and rifles. Just search for belt taco and you will find the non molle ones.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hey thread, I missed the hardshell chat! I am still looking for a replacement for my 15 year old MEC 3 layer goretex jacket which has been amazing but the seam tape is all coming off now and it is time to retire it. I'm pretty tall and having trouble finding something that will fit, the arcteryx alphas in xl have arm lengths that are ok but the torso is too drat short. Any brands offer tall sizes anymore? I have had no luck finding any.

Also I am filling up my family emergency kit, and was looking at options for cooking and boiling water. I have one of the $5 emergency stoves that uses fuel tabs, and a full size grill that is outside and runs on propane. I would like to get a couple more options: something that runs on gas like a jetboil (sumo) and something that can run off of twigs etc. Any recommendations? Anything better than a jetboil sumo for that option?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

For those who has HSGI pistol tacos, did you guys trim any excess bungie cord? Tie it in a knot? Leave be?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Crunkjuice posted:

For those who has HSGI pistol tacos, did you guys trim any excess bungie cord? Tie it in a knot? Leave be?

I just tuck it back so it doesn't stick out

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just left it be, and tucked it away.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just tuck it back so it doesn't stick out

Are we still talking about gun stuff?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

I need some advice for something stupid. Can anyone recommend a tactical helmet under $100 that doesn't completely suck? It is for a costume for a shooting event, but I would like it to at least be semi comfortable and able to hold a camera.

This picture is the inspiration for the costume.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Atticus_1354 posted:

I need some advice for something stupid. Can anyone recommend a tactical helmet under $100 that doesn't completely suck? It is for a costume for a shooting event, but I would like it to at least be semi comfortable and able to hold a camera.

This picture is the inspiration for the costume.

Go for Protec. They look legit military and fit well, but they're very light and made entirely from plastic.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Go for Protec. They look legit military and fit well, but they're very light and made entirely from plastic.

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for integrating electronic earpro?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

https://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14

mount to rail

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How the heck does one size fits all even work for a helmet

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

How the heck does one size fits all even work for a helmet

For bike helmets, it means there is a flexible plastic sub-frame inside the helmet that changes size when you adjust it. Your head doesn't actually sit on the shell. Multiple sizes is way better.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

This is a dumb question, but what glowsticks are people going with? I had a friend give me a big box of the Cyalume military glowsticks that worked great but I'm finally running out. Should I try to find those or is there something better out there?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DeesGrandpa posted:

This is a dumb question, but what glowsticks are people going with? I had a friend give me a big box of the Cyalume military glowsticks that worked great but I'm finally running out. Should I try to find those or is there something better out there?

While we're on the subject, thoughts on parachute pants and neon day-glow bangles?

no more lightswitch raves

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

I ordered two bits of gear from MAGPUL.

Two VetRanch shirts because vetranch owns

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Kesper North posted:

While we're on the subject, thoughts on parachute pants and neon day-glow bangles?

no more lightswitch raves

I have literally not thought of what you are referring to since I was a teenager, yet I remembered it instantly upon reading your post.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I ordered two bits of gear from MAGPUL.

Two VetRanch shirts because vetranch owns

Their pants and shorts are really nice, too.

Not as nice as VetRanch is though

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Why has no one told me A)Vetranch exists and B) its the dude from demolition ranch. Vetranch is amazing.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

It's just assumed that tfr posters know this.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Hello gear thread, I would like to buy an OWB holster for my 1911, a few 1911 mag pouches, and maybe 1 AR mag pouch. I would like a belt to put everything on. The primary use will be dicking around with my gun on my hip in the desert twice a year, then throwing the belt and mags into my box of dumb prepper poo poo in the garage. I'd like to be all in for less than $250. Is it possible to get quality at this price point for my use case and where do I even start?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Hello gear thread, I would like to buy an OWB holster for my 1911, a few 1911 mag pouches, and maybe 1 AR mag pouch. I would like a belt to put everything on. The primary use will be dicking around with my gun on my hip in the desert twice a year, then throwing the belt and mags into my box of dumb prepper poo poo in the garage. I'd like to be all in for less than $250. Is it possible to get quality at this price point for my use case and where do I even start?

I suppose you start by determining if you want leather or kydex, as each have exclusive benefits. Kydex will be more rugged, longer lasting, and lower maintenance. Leather will probably be as long lasting if the higher maintenance is kept up, but I wouldn't get all rough and tumble in the desert with it unless I had properly conditioned it.

If you're only going to use them twice a year and throw them in a box in the garage, I'd probably say kydex, since kydex wont collapse on itself and loose all shape and retention the way a leather holster might. OWB kydex is dirt cheap, and $250 is way more than enough for what you're setting out for.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

What 1911 do you have? Most are will fit most holsters, but some can be weird. I would look at HSGI belt munt taco pouches or GCode soft Scorpions. That way you can use any pistol or rifle mag and will have one setup to do everything.

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/scorpion-softshell-series/

http://www.highspeedgear.com/Belt-Mount.html

Or just get this setup with the gcode holster of your choice. Pricey option, but would be solid kit that will last a lifetime.
https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/the-assaulters-system/

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

I've used a Fobus C-21 for a few years. It's dirt cheap by most standards but has held up in excellent condition for a lot more than twice a year's worth of dicking around.

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Springer 1911 GI. I was thinking of doing kydex, and that gcode belt scratches the tactical operator operations itches.

Is it really that much better to do a double belt than get a more normal looking rigid leather belt?

SealHammer
Jul 3, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Springer 1911 GI. I was thinking of doing kydex, and that gcode belt scratches the tactical operator operations itches.

Is it really that much better to do a double belt than get a more normal looking rigid leather belt?

A hook-and-loop double belt setup is nice to have but not completely necessary unless you're going to be changing up your setup often or taking off/putting on your belt often. Imagine having to thread all your molle attachments on/off every time you put your belt on or took it off.

That said, if you go with a regular old gun belt and use pouches that require belt loops or molle loops, you're gonna spend a lot of time threading those things through one at a time. If you grab the Scorpions, get some paddle attachments with them and make your life easier.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

I want to find a classic 1960s M16A1 cleaning kit with the standard issue LSA bottle.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

If you're doing the "day or two of use a year" thing with a 1911 why not go classic and get a 1916 holster?

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USGWM16

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

If you're doing the "day or two of use a year" thing with a 1911 why not go classic and get a 1916 holster?

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USGWM16

I have the IMA reproduction holster. It's tough as nails and does a good job of protecting the gun, but it's also noticeably heavier than Kydex or a Fobus and you may have some difficulty getting a thick or wide belt through the slits if you're not using the hanger on a period pistol belt.

And if you're actually planning on using the pistol for defense while out in the desert instead of just carrying it for fun, it's not really fast to draw from unless you keep the flap open.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Added a Kay-Bar spork and knife to my useless kay-bar accessory collection.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Serious question: how terrible is the spork/knife for actual eating?

Was considering one for packing a lunch at work

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Sporks are terrible, just bring a regular knife and fork.

Even for backpacking it belongs in the cutting your toothbrush in half category of excessive optimization.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MRC48B posted:

Serious question: how terrible is the spork/knife for actual eating?

Was considering one for packing a lunch at work

Worked out great for a tin of King Oscar sardines. The smallish head really allowed me to scoop out everything. The knife is plastic and just hard enough and sharp enough to deal with all chewable foods.

Would I rather have a larger spoon and regular fork in 99% circumstances? Yes.

But then I wouldn't own a tactical spork.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

If your food is pre chewed Mountain House or MRE stuff, it's great. If you are dealing with actual meat, bring a fork and knife. Snowpeak has a lightweight titanium set that is nice.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mortabis posted:

Sporks are terrible, just bring a regular knife and fork.

Even for backpacking it belongs in the cutting your toothbrush in half category of excessive optimization.

Unless your job involves you looking like an idiot at the office I would have to agree with Mortabis on this which is not something I say without good reason.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

They urge all employees to pack light at the gay fisting factory

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

They urge all employees to pack light at the gay fisting factory

See me behind the loading docks at 6.

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Welp I ended up with an HSGI belt and a G-Code XST holster. Paid more than I was planning on but its gonna be dope af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

It's time to refresh and restock all the little first aid kit's I keep squrreled away among my possessions, is there a good place to buy first aid kit supplies? Obviously stuff like Band-Aids and gauze pads I can get anywhere, I mean more like individually packaged OTC medicines and stuff like that.

• Locked thread