Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Butch Cassidy posted:

Take Roy Baker's spiffy new pancake, and add a thumb-break for super retention without hang-ups like those cheap-rear end Jay Pee suicide specials. Slip in a round-butt model 10 with combat grips (T-Grips are for peasant wanna-bes). No sights to snag, and grip positions you. Then you slip on a dump pouch, no more fumbling for loose shells in your pocket or fussing over cartridge loops:

Where have you been all my life? I like that dump pouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I refuse to believe it. How could the belt not rip right out of the loops and break some ribs and/or crush some organs?

Mil-Spec belt loops.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

The idea is that attached to your riggers belt is a short length of tubular nylon with a biner at the end of it, maybe with some shock cord on the inside. You're clipping in to something 3-5ft away from you, not a long rope with 50ft of slack.

There are a couple of riggers belts that have actual harness "leg-straps" (for lack of a better word, not a rock climber) that pull out from like 5 and 7 o'clock, between your legs & to the front.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

LavistaSays posted:

The idea is that attached to your riggers belt is a short length of tubular nylon with a biner at the end of it, maybe with some shock cord on the inside. You're clipping in to something 3-5ft away from you, not a long rope with 50ft of slack.

There are a couple of riggers belts that have actual harness "leg-straps" (for lack of a better word, not a rock climber) that pull out from like 5 and 7 o'clock, between your legs & to the front.

Exactly. You have one of these -
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/personalretentionlanyard.aspx for the helo
Or a piece of rope with a bowline on the end of it for the top of the tower or whatever. It's for keeping you attached to the platform, not for anything super long term. For that matter, even if it tears out of your beltloops, it's coming up your armpits.

jimothygu
Feb 7, 2004

brilliant!!

Does anyone have experience with Kifaru? https://kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

I got a good combo.

Condor Summit softshell jacket with REI White River Fleece Jacket underneath it.

I bought these two things recently for a total of about $120. Together they make an excellent cold weather hiking jacket. The slash chest pockets work really well for when you're wearing a pack. The inside of the softshell already has a very thin fleece layer, but I've found it's not enough for when the temperature drops below 50F and the wind starts blowing. The REI fleece more than makes up for that though.

The one thing about I don't like is that the jacket is slightly shorter than I prefer, but it's not like it's riding up my middrift or anything.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

The Condor jackets are cut for smaller asian people. I called them about that same jacket about a month ago and they suggested I order one size up from what I normally wear.

I had my eye on that Condor jacket, but I found this guy from Patagonia and it seemed like a better quality alternative for the same amount of scratch.

The Automator fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2010

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Maybe, although a couple of those reviews complain about short sleeves. I have ape arms, so it probably wouldn't have worked for me.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

The Automator posted:

The Condor jackets are cut for smaller asian people. I called them about that same jacket about a month ago and they suggested I order one size up from what I normally wear.

I had my eye on that Condor jacket, but I found this guy from Patagonia and it seemed like a better quality alternative for the same amount of scratch.

That's hilarious that Patagonia even makes military-style soft shells now. They're the biggest hippies in the mainstream outdoor gear business.

I have an ARCTERYX LEAF soft shell, the combat jacket. It's loving rad. ARCTERYX makes pretty drat good gear, and their LEAF line is a great combination of their quality and ingenuity and "milspec" durability.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's hilarious that Patagonia even makes military-style soft shells now. They're the biggest hippies in the mainstream outdoor gear business.

I have an ARCTERYX LEAF soft shell, the combat jacket. It's loving rad. ARCTERYX makes pretty drat good gear, and their LEAF line is a great combination of their quality and ingenuity and "milspec" durability.

I desperately want an Arc'teryx , but there's no way I can afford to drop over $300 on a jacket

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

The Automator posted:

I desperately want an Arc'teryx , but there's no way I can afford to drop over $300 on a jacket

That's the price of admission

I paid half price because I bought it from my PX overseas

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

I bought these two things recently for a total of about $120. Together they make an excellent cold weather hiking jacket. The slash chest pockets work really well for when you're wearing a pack. The inside of the softshell already has a very thin fleece layer, but I've found it's not enough for when the temperature drops below 50F and the wind starts blowing. The REI fleece more than makes up for that though.

Really? I have a Carhartt (don't laugh) softshell, and it keeps me toasty all winter. I can spend 8-10 hours walking through the woods shooting rabbits in February and stay warm, even leaving it unzipped.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

unless its below freezing I use one of those If im moving around its usually a bit more than I need. The chest pocket is awesome, use it for my phone all the time. If it gets colder I have a super basic Carhartt

Suppose maybe I should step my game up to a http://www.kitanica.net/mark_iv/ 600 bucks of really just pockets and foam. I loving WANT IT

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 3, 2010

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

jimothygu posted:

Does anyone have experience with Kifaru? https://kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm

Supposedly the Kifaru Marauder is the king poo poo of three day packs. Supposedly.

I'm trying to buy one, but I'm broke.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I have a navigator and I love it: https://kifaru.net/navigator.html
It's really comfortable to wear, and the design makes it easy to get to your stuff.

PTrexitus posted:

Suppose maybe I should step my game up to a http://www.kitanica.net/mark_iv/ 600 bucks of really just pockets and foam. I loving WANT IT

Isn't that the one Adam from Mythbusters wears sometimes?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Yes it is. I have one in Foliage Green that's pretty nice... until you realize that they aren't more than a shell and there's no handwarmer pockets at all. It makes a nice motorcycle style jacket, but it really needs a fleece liner for any cold weather.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

PTrexitus posted:

unless its below freezing I use one of those If im moving around its usually a bit more than I need. The chest pocket is awesome, use it for my phone all the time.
How is it sized? The reviews all say "true to size" but I want a real person answer.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

I've had a couple of Kifaru packs and while they are excellent I prefer mystery ranch for all of my snobbishly expensive backpack needs. Kifaru is a great option, and I really like their line of Regulator compression/stuff sacks, but Mystery Ranch offers a much more streamlined package IMO

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Yes it is. I have one in Foliage Green that's pretty nice... until you realize that they aren't more than a shell and there's no handwarmer pockets at all. It makes a nice motorcycle style jacket, but it really needs a fleece liner for any cold weather.

The mark I seems better imo. Its a more practical style. Then again school tells me I can't afford either.

Drav posted:

How is it sized? The reviews all say "true to size" but I want a real person answer.

To be honest, you'll never be able to zip that neck up all the way if you're a normal person. I mean that from your lower neck down its a fantastic fit. After that you'll never get that zipper all the way up. I'm a tall rear end guy, I'm 6'5" and strong so things rarely fit me right. This has fit me as close as Ive ever imagined something fitting based on standard sizes. IE: XL. Get one I really think it will fit most people well. They are really nice. If I could show you mine I would. It's my day to day outerwear.

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 4, 2010

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

PTrexitus posted:

To be honest, you'll never be able to zip that neck up all the way if you're a normal person. I mean that from your lower neck down its a fantastic fit. After that you'll never get that zipper all the way up. I'm a tall rear end guy, I'm 6'5" and strong so things rarely fit me right. This has fit me as close as Ive ever imagined something fitting based on standard sizes. IE: XL. Get one I really think it will fit most people well. They are really nice. If I could show you mine I would. It's my day to day outerwear.

Alright, I'm going for it. I'm a sucker for sleeper gear (you know, Dexter instead of Dolph Lundgren).

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Drav posted:

Alright, I'm going for it. I'm a sucker for sleeper gear (you know, Dexter instead of Dolph Lundgren).

Its definitely that. The hand warmer style pockets have zippers in them that allow you to have a straight through uni pocket, the chest pocket has a divider and there is a hip pocket for I don't know, I forget its there. Not pictured, the back of it is longer that the front for superior crack flash prevention.

Chemical Halo
Nov 6, 2002

Resident Tequila Aficionado

The Automator posted:

I sprung for this too, its a good softshell for the price. I'm currently pairing it with a TAD gear ranger hoodie (because I'm that much of a gear queer.) Not sure how much use the slingshot will get, now that its getting balls cold here in MN. Almost better just wearing the ranger hoodie by itself:

emathey
May 18, 2008

So I have a MAV from Tactical Tailor that I bought to do 3 gun stuff, but it sits close enough to the belt line to interfere with belt holsters. I ordered a G Code holster that should be here in a day or two with the attachment to drop it down a few inches, thanks The Rat!

Incidentally, what's a good solution to mount a spare camelbak bladder to the back of my MAV? There's a small (4 columns by 2 rows) of molle that I can use for it.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

What do you guys recommend for leg wear when its cold and drizzly out?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Some of the camelbak models you can mount directly to the vest itself. Just depends on whether you want cargo capacity or not.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Iron Squid posted:

Carrhartt work pants or some good longjohns under jeans.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Iron Squid posted:

Underarmor Cold Gear put me through 10 days of tromping through 4-foot snow in BDUs.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Propagandalf posted:

Underarmor Cold Gear put me through 10 days of tromping through 4-foot snow in BDUs.

This poo poo is expensive, but really good. It has kept me warm through the last 4 deer seasons.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The Automator posted:

Carrhartt work pants or some good longjohns under jeans.

I should've been more clear: whats recommended when I'm wearing something for several days while backpacking and its drizzly out.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Iron Squid posted:

I should've been more clear: whats recommended when I'm wearing something for several days while backpacking and its drizzly out.

If you're hiking or climbing and it's drizzling, I'd wear light long underwear and a pair of soft shell pants. They stretch and they're as comfortable as pyjamas, but water beads right off of them.

REI should have them. If not, all the reputable manufacturers make a pant in that class - Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx, North Face, etc

Really, anything but cotton. But soft shell pants will treat you the best.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Chemical Halo posted:

I sprung for this too, its a good softshell for the price. I'm currently pairing it with a TAD gear ranger hoodie (because I'm that much of a gear queer.) Not sure how much use the slingshot will get, now that its getting balls cold here in MN. Almost better just wearing the ranger hoodie by itself:

I'm gonna buy one of the stealth hoodies whenever they get more black mediums. I have been really happy with my TAD dispatch bag, which I am beginning to think has interdimensional properties allowing more internal storage space than the bag itself actually occupies. Also the admin sleeve is amazingly useful while traveling, because you can just velcro it to the outside.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Iron Squid posted:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=504864

Seriously. Wool is a fantastic cold weather material, and you can't beat the price.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Iron Squid posted:

I use some Columbia zip-off pants for hiking. They're lightweight in summer, waterproof in winter. I don't hunt, so they're a little swishy and noisy when I walk, but they're great. You can get fantastically hot while hiking in cold weather, so figure out how you want to layer your clothes then go from there. Good socks and boots are probably more important for leg comfort than expensive pants. While hiking you want something waterproof more than you need insulation. Insulation becomes important when you're stopped or sleeping (or sitting in a treestand). If you're active with a full pack, you can sweat like a hog even at 20 below. I lost almost 15lbs after my hike through the snow, and that was with an MRE-a-day, and spent most of that time running around in snow boots and a T-shirt with a 30lb pack.

^^ Wool is amazing. It dries out super fast, stays warm even when soaking wet, and breathes well. The only drawback from my experience is it tends to get caught in brush. The best advantage to those leg warmers is they give you layering options. Swapping pants layers can be more challenging than top layers in the cold, so they're a good thing to have handy, especially in snow.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

I'll check out those leg warmers. I think I have some pants that are made of some synthetic material with legs that zip-off at the knees. If I throw some thermal underwear on these, I wonder if they'll stay dry.

All the stuff I can find in my price range of under $50 seems to be made of nylon and I can only imagine how damp those will quickly get.

Edit: I bet a wool sweater with my Marmot breathable rainshell would be an awesome combo, too!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

How do you guys wear wool to avoid it itching like crazy? I want to get one of those Commando sweaters because they look really warm, give my shoulders more structure than they normally have, and are cheap, but the wool on my forearms annoys me. Do you guys just wear long sleeves with them all the time? I suppose if I'm dressing for really cold weather, I will have long underwear on.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you guys wear wool to avoid it itching like crazy? I want to get one of those Commando sweaters because they look really warm, give my shoulders more structure than they normally have, and are cheap, but the wool on my forearms annoys me. Do you guys just wear long sleeves with them all the time? I suppose if I'm dressing for really cold weather, I will have long underwear on.

Just take it like a man. Eventually the itching doesn't matter any more. Usually about the time you have been, sitting in a boat, fishing for salmon for 6 hours in February.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you guys wear wool to avoid it itching like crazy?

Shave your body like the rest of us.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pretty much this. I wear long sleeves and it keeps me from itching.

Also, I'm half sheep.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010

I really want this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Propagandalf posted:

Shave your body like the rest of us.
But it's a natural insulating layer.

What is that, tom? Is it like a tiny plate carrier, with only as much room as the plate needs?

My tacticlol gear is a Korean vintage BAR belt and some repro y-suspenders that I bought for Halloween. I want to get some surplus x-suspenders, since I heard they are more comfortable and not made in china for the most part, unlike my current suspenders. I'm too poor and cheap to be able to justify anything else, even though I kind of want body armor for no practical purpose.

On the other hand, if I get a job delivering pizza, I'll have money to buy it and a reason for wearing it.

• Locked thread