Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

coyo7e posted:

I've been reading this thread in advance of my plans to get a dog sometime relatively soon, but I wanted to thank the OP for their great rundown of training techniques and stuff.

I have a really troublesome person at my work who constantly asks for things outside of proper channels and tends to get nasty and bitchy when things don't get done like she asked (because she didn't ask correctly, or asked in the middle of something else and confused the tech working on it,) so I've been reading up on Positive Reinforcement/Clicker training and, while I cannot use a clicker and bits of kibble, ignoring her until she requests things through proper channels and then responding enthusiastically and promptly to her needs, has been both effective and highly amusing for my IT staff, since I let them in on the source of my new "policy" of dealing with this person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hi everyone, I'm a pretty rare lurker in PI and I post even less often, but something's come up today that has me seeking advice. Also cross-posting to the Yappy Rat Central thread.

My parents got a dog three weeks ago, Patches. He's a rescue, eight years old, shih-tzu / terrier mix. We've never heard him make a sound.

The downstairs neighbors emailed my parents today saying that whenever my parents leave Patches alone at home, he runs back and forth between the front and back doors, barking for an hour or longer. As if this isn't bad enough, the neighbors have an infant daughter who can't sleep with all the barking going on.

Mom is freaking out and looking for a solution. She's taking tomorrow off work but obviously that can't last. I've done a little bit of reading and it sounds like maybe crate training will help, but I'd love any advice from experienced dog owners.

Help! Please?

• Locked thread