Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
excitebike
May 18, 2003

tutpsu posted:

This might be a stupid question, but will you need an iPad 2 to run GB?

Nope.

FLX posted:

How large will the app's file size be with all those loops and samples? Will there be IAPs for new content? Also, how much RAM does the iPad 2 have?

I believe the app's final size is around 520MB. It won't break the bank if you're on a 16GB iPad. For $5, you get all the content, no additional purchases required.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Does Garageband for iPad have the ability to, some day, do simultaneous multitrack recording?

If you asked me if I could ever get the accelerometer to let you play a keyboard soft or loud, I would have told you that you were crazy. I have no clue.

JazzFlight posted:

Dammit, if Garageband requires iOS 4.3 I will be so pissed. I just finally got used to having my iPad jailbroken on 4.2.1 and it will be really painful deciding between all my jailbroken stuff and Garageband... oh, and a proper working orientation switch again.

It doesn't, and while I respect your decision to jailbreak for whatever reason you have, please don't steal our software. :(

toxick posted:

GarageBand looks pretty nice but I wonder how the amps and effects will stack up against something like AmpKit.

Well how does AmpKit compare to the desktop version of GarageBand?

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah I spent like $80 getting amplitube and the 4 track recorder for both my phone and pad and now GarageBand pops up for $5. I am hoping (only out of spite) that the amp sims are a little worse than the dedicated amp apps but in all probability they will sound pretty drat good.

Size is also a pretty big concern for me as well, I only have the 16GB model and it runs pretty close to full all the time, I would hate for the GB app to take up multiple gigabytes with just its loops and samples.

edit: That Apogee input looks significantly better than the Amplitube one. If it lowers the noise floor then I will be all over it. I am a terrible consumer.

I find them to be pretty impressive, then again, I've always liked them. Size is as above. The Jam is a great little device, I'll be buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

excitebike posted:

It doesn't, and while I respect your decision to jailbreak for whatever reason you have, please don't steal our software. :(
I don't have a single pirated app on my jailbroken devices and I've spent definitely over a thousand dollars on apps over the years, so you don't have to worry about that.

excitebike
May 18, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I don't have a single pirated app on my jailbroken devices and I've spent definitely over a thousand dollars on apps over the years, so you don't have to worry about that.

Awesome! Thanks. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I have no doubt that the Apogee interface will blow away any of the headphone jack based guitar inputs. I wish it had an input for a USB port for simultaneous charging and playing, though!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Reposting from the 'small questions' thread:

quote:

I'd like to do some simple electronic drums at an open mic performance. My bassist has an iPhone and reckons there may be some simple drum machine apps we could use. (This thread confirms that!) Can anyone recommend some (preferably free)?

So I guess software does exist, it's just a question of which to get and whether it'd be right for the job.

I did get one reply to the original post:

CPL593H posted:

You can get a decent used drum machine for 100 dollars or less. I would recommend that over using an iphone app. Unless you want it to sound lovely. Cheap keyboards also have simple drum patterns as well and those are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.

I bought this drum machine used for 90 bucks and you can probably find one around that price online:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrt3/

It's pretty easy to use.

I'm hesitant to buy a physical drum machine since I like programming beats in DAWs and it seems a bit redundant to get some extra hardware just for that job. Thoughts?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Popcorn posted:

Drum machine
There are a lot of drum machine apps out there. Almost all of then cost money though, but most are rather cheap (2-5$). PowerBeatFree and EasyBeats Lite are free ones, with restricted functionality. There is also the cheap i808 Drum Machine and of course the more expensive but full-featured Beatmaker 1 and 2.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
DrumTrack8 seems pretty decent and is only $4.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks for the advice! EasyBeats is more or less what we're looking for, though we can't find any way to change time signatures or program multiple beats (guess it's time to read the manual).

I'll look into some of the cheaper paid-for software next.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Rebirth is nice, cheap and way rad if you are into 808/909.

iElectribe will let you tweak sounds much, much more.

Both let you do multiple patterns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iElectribe is iPad only isn't it?

Popcorn posted:

at an open mic performance
Little tip to prevent a possible mishap: turn on Airplane Mode and disable notifications so you don't possibly get interrupted by a phone call or text message or whatever. I'm not sure there's a way to turn off local notifications so watch out for those too I guess. I think the Calendar app uses them so uh, make sure he doesn't have some alarm set to go off (which can be set for another day!) during performance time.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
I'm planning to pickup an iPad2 next week and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the AC-7 control surface. I'd be using it with Reaper specifically.
It looks awesome and exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find, but I haven't seen it mentioned much.
http://www.saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

KORG iElectribe is on sale for $9.99 at the moment.

EDIT: KORG iMS-20 is down to $15.99 as well!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 10, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

whoops quote!=edit

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Okay, first impressions of GarageBand on my iPad 1, running iOS 4.3:

- the velocity sensing works incredibly well with the keyboard and drum instruments
- you can hit the drums at several different spots to produce different sounds
- overall program performance is good and there are only some occasions where you see a loading bar saying "optimizing performance"
- the guitar and bass interface is really cool, but you can't play any chords you want. You can only play eight preset chords from your song's global key. :(
- autoplay is funny, but I don't see myself using it really
- while the are lots of stomp boxes and amps to choose from when recording something through the iPad's mic/line-in (which I haven't tried yet) you can't apply those to the included guitar instrument. The guitar instrument only features four guitar presets with zero or two fixed stomp boxes, that you can only switch on or off.
- you don't seem to be able to edit your midi tracks after recording them in real time. I.e. if you want to change a note afterwards, you'll have to play the part again. There is an auto-quantization option though.

Edit:
- you can somehow only trim recorded clips from the right/end and not from the left/start

I guess I expected a little more from GarageBand. The keyboard instrument is awesome and offers tons and tons of different sounds. The drums are cool too, but the guitar/bass instrument is lacking so much, even though the interface is great.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2011

excitebike
May 18, 2003

FLX posted:

- the guitar and bass interface is really cool, but you can't play any chords you want. You can only play eight preset chords from your song's global key. :(

If you flip the switch in the top right of the guitar or bass, you'll get a fretboard you can play anything you'd like on. You can do bends, hammer-ons, etc. on it. The Upright Bass is fretless and you can slide up and down it to great effect.

While the Smart Guitar and Smart Bass are primarily meant for people without musical skill to use, the Notes mode lets you hammer out some pretty neat stuff. Especially if you switch on one of the scale modes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Garageband is so drat cool. It pretty much takes all the great ideas from all the other iOS music apps and puts them together in a single package. The fact that it's only 4.99 is incredible when most music apps are 10-20 bucks. I love the fact that you can pick a scale and keep all the instruments in key with each other like in ThumbJam. I'm clueless when it comes to drum tracks, so Smart Drums are a godsend. I've only played around for 15 minutes, but I can see creating a song in like, 3 minutes, no problem.

Really awesome synth selection and modifying knobs and settings. Love it, love it, love it!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm a bit underwhelmed at the selection of soft synths in Garageband. In particular, the lack of breath instruments -- like horns, harmonica, flute, etc. (I did find one 'brass' patch).

Edit:

quote:

- you don't seem to be able to edit your midi tracks after recording them in real time. I.e. if you want to change a note afterwards, you'll have to play the part again.
Wow, I just realized the full meaning of this. I guess I was way off in my assumptions of what this product is.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 11, 2011

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
I got seriously lost in GarageBand for a few hours today. Ran just fine on iPad 1 except it crashed one time. I could definitely see being able to make a record on this without feeling like it's a gimmick.

It kind of sucks not being able to use the amp sim on the sampler, though, unless I'm missing something.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I ran into a bug a couple of times now where the sustain feature on a keyboard instrument clip would always deactivate, even after re-enabling it and even though the button graphic still shows sustain enabled. Also, trimming a clip from the left does work sometimes and sometimes not. When it works, I can't trim all the way though, just a couple of beats. Trimming from the right always works fine.

Is there a way to loop a selection of song sections other than "all" and a single one?

I've got a feeling that I'm a bit too harsh on the app. The price is great for what you get and it actually is lots of fun to play around with it. Also, I'm still amazed by the whole interface design. I guess I was just a little too hyped up about it being a full-blown DAW, like the original GarageBand.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

a full-blown DAW, like the original GarageBand.

The original Garageband wasn't a full-blown DAW either.

If anyone was expecting anything other than the Babbys First Casio Concertmate of audio creation apps, they're going to be disappointed, since that's always been Garageband's niche. For anyone who wants to do anything more than play around, that's always been what Logic was for.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Okay goons, I just finished my first song with GarageBand on my iPad 1. It's dedicated to everyone standing in line for the iPad 2 today :haw:

I used all eight available tracks and recorded vocals with my mobile phone's headset (since I haven't got one of those splitters to plug in a better mic). The drum and keyboard parts were played on a USB MIDI Keyboard I attached to the iPad with the Camera Connection Kit. The experience was alright, but the app's performance dropped noticeably when I got towards the end. Those "optimizing performance" bars kept popping up a lot. Another feature I'd wish for, is setting clip-volume individually, because my mic recordings were never at the same volume.

EDIT: Picture!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 11, 2011

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

FLX posted:

The drum and keyboard parts were played on a USB MIDI Keyboard I attached to the iPad with the Camera Connection Kit.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know you could do that. I have the same exact MIDI keyboard.

Nice song by the way. You sound like the lead singer of "White Town".

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dan Hollis posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know you could do that. I have the same exact MIDI keyboard.

Nice song by the way. You sound like the lead singer of "White Town".
Thanks ;)

iOS 4.2 brought USB MIDI to the iPad and there are several music apps that support it. I read that you can even attach USB audio interfaces to the Camera Connection Kit and have some apps output the audio digitally.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dan Hollis posted:

Pretty sure the Rock Band mics work with the camera connection kit. What would be really awesome was if I could do a Rock Band drums->Midi->USB->iPad setup but I don't think it's smart enough for that. :(

Daenn
Oct 17, 2003

If any day is a good day, today is a good day for disaster.
After a few hours with Garageband, I hate it. It blows my mind that there is no piano roll editor, and that I can see the stupid piano roll in the preview. Why can't I edit that?

If they added that and audio copy/paste, I think I would use it. I mean, it's a neat toy, but I want to be able to actually edit a beat, or import a beat. I don't like the velocity on the drums either. I can never seem to hit the snare consistently.

To be fair, I haven't tried any of the guitar stuff, and the instruments such as the bass are cool. But I'm playing on a drat touch screen. If I can't go back and edit notes in the piano roll, why am I going to bother using this thing?

I'm sad. I was really psyched.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HotCanadianChick posted:

The original Garageband wasn't a full-blown DAW either.

If anyone was expecting anything other than the Babbys First Casio Concertmate of audio creation apps, they're going to be disappointed, since that's always been Garageband's niche. For anyone who wants to do anything more than play around, that's always been what Logic was for.
Understood, but some things are pretty glaringly missing or just odd, even for a 'toy'.

I wasn't expecting a full-featured effects panel, but there's not even a volume envelope for fading the beginning/ending of clips? In a program that's based around one-take clips?

Can't trim the beginning of clips, but you can trim the end? I can maybe understand this with audio clips if this was 1998, but MIDI clips?

The smart guitar/bass only shows the first seven (eight?) frets, and isn't zoomable or scrollable? When you choose a keyboard, you get three "sizes" to choose from, but only one fretboard?

Anyway, for info, M-Audio Oxygen controllers work too. As does the IK iRig dongle.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
Yeah GarageBand would be a lot better if I could edit the midi notes and disable velocity on the drums. I still love it and will play with it a lot but making something is pretty tedious without the ability to edit.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
So many apps!

Can't decide. I play acoustic guitar and would love an app on the iPad to fiddle around this, add some drum loops to it, add some of my bass guitar in there, perhaps add some vocals. What would be the best app for this? AmpKit looks pretty good, but is that just for guitar and nothing else?

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Are their any apps that let you import songs and let you "remix" them or mess with them in any way. Other than that, looptastic looks like the easiest and most fun of the bunch I have looked at.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

dorkimoe posted:

Are their any apps that let you import songs and let you "remix" them or mess with them in any way. Other than that, looptastic looks like the easiest and most fun of the bunch I have looked at.

I haven't tried them myself, but they claim to do what you want:

- Looptastic & Studio.HD let you create and (re)mix tracks from samples, which can also be recorded with the iOS device's microphone.

- Beatmaker 2 (which will get a free universal update soon, according to the devs) lets you import songs from the iPod app and mess around with them too. You can also create tracks yourself using built in instruments and record audio from your device's microphone.

CelestialScribe posted:

So many apps!

Can't decide. I play acoustic guitar and would love an app on the iPad to fiddle around this, add some drum loops to it, add some of my bass guitar in there, perhaps add some vocals. What would be the best app for this? AmpKit looks pretty good, but is that just for guitar and nothing else?
For this I would suggest GarageBand. It's easy to use and cheap. If you want more features, check out the aforementioned Beatmaker 2.

Feel free to post your experiences with the apps! If you have suggestions for the OP (new apps, cleaning up or re-labeling stuff) also let me know :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Quick announcement: GyrOSC 1.1 update is finally up on the app store. It fixes the bugs mentioned in this thread, plus it adds buttons that send OSC control messages.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

FLX posted:

I haven't tried them myself, but they claim to do what you want:

- Looptastic & Studio.HD let you create and (re)mix tracks from samples, which can also be recorded with the iOS device's microphone.

- Beatmaker 2 (which will get a free universal update soon, according to the devs) lets you import songs from the iPod app and mess around with them too. You can also create tracks yourself using built in instruments and record audio from your device's microphone.

Beatmaker has terrible reviews on the store (edit: That was beatmaker 1 my bad). Studio.HD seems to be really unstable according to the reviews. Looptastic seems to be the best rated, I'm gonna go with that when I have the money.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So it seems that Garageband won't route its audio output to Bluetooth headphones, even when every other app does.

Anyone else try this? Wondering if I'm missing something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dorkimoe posted:

Beatmaker has terrible reviews on the store (edit: That was beatmaker 1 my bad). Studio.HD seems to be really unstable according to the reviews. Looptastic seems to be the best rated, I'm gonna go with that when I have the money.

Don't listen to Beatmaker's terrible reviews. It's an awesome little program. I think people were angry that they released the second version as a new app rather than as an update to the first one. I've got both, and I think they're different enough.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I just got myself an Akai IPK25 and it's pretty cool, especially with nanostudio/ivoxel. Does anyone know of any other apps that support it (beatmaker2 maybe)?

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
Hello everyone. I'm looking for the best musical education apps, I am interested in theory (modes, scales chord progressions ) ,ear training,and reading. I have "fretboard" and it works pretty well. To contribute I love the tempo and tempo 2 metronome apps anyone else use these?

I am also interested in an app like finale for the iPhone anyone ever seen anything like that?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nota should be able to help with a bit of theory and reading. Another thing to consider is a tab-reading app like TabToolkit or Guitar Pro so you can download a tab for any given song and have it play back while you read along with it.

For ear training I prefer the aptly-named Ear Trainer. I have also used Karajan and EarMan but I prefer the lesson structure and overall layout of Ear Trainer better.

If you have an iPad then definitely buy Garageband, it's not education based but the sheer simplicity of constructing a song within it (without the need for any real instruments) will allow you a great understanding of how sounds work with one another.

edit: I linked the HD versions but all of these apps (except Garageband) are either universal or have an iPhone version as well, also a lot of them have a free "lite" edition to save you wasting $20 on an ear trainer program you never use (like me).

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 22, 2011

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Any opinions of TabToolkit vs GuitarPro? I've been burned by crappy GuitarPro performance on OS X, not sure if I'm keen to try it on iOS.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually tried the Guitar Pro app simply because TabToolkit does everything I could possibly want it to do (except maybe allow editing of tabs). TT runs very well, has a nice layout, and the support team are very helpful with answers to queries (like the neverending battle to download tabs from ultimate guitar without using the official-yet-far-shittier UG app) and are grateful for any feature suggestions you may have in regard to future functionality.

TabToolkit was literally the main reason I purchased an iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

vanjalolz posted:

Any opinions of TabToolkit vs GuitarPro? I've been burned by crappy GuitarPro performance on OS X, not sure if I'm keen to try it on iOS.

Go TabToolkit. The performance is great.

• Locked thread