Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Hennergy posted:

Go TabToolkit. The performance is great.

Do you actually download tabs through the program? How are they loaded in if not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is a built in browser to download tabs (text, GP5 or PTAB files are all ok) which it then keeps in it's little internal library. You can also get the app to run a webserver which can be accessed through a browser on a mac/pc so you can upload any existing tabs you may have.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nthning that TabToolKit is the poo poo. I've been a long-time user of Power Tab on the PC, and have about 2000 tabs in that format. Watching TabToolKit import those with aplomb made me nearly giddy. The iPad is a sick tab reader, I keep it on a music stand when I'm jamming and it's just perfect to use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iMS-20 and iElectribe were both updated with this stuff:

quote:

- WIST (Wireless Sync-Start Technology) allows wireless start between compatible apps on two iPads
- AudioCopy has been added which enables the sharing of audio data between compatible apps
- MIDI control capabilities have been enhanced (nano series 2 is now fully supported)
Additionally iElectribe has some sort of export to SoundCloud function.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Finally! Now I only need an app to paste my KORG creations into. I understand studio.HD is great for arranging pre-made stuff. iSequence does that too though, but also offers its own instruments (and thus is more complicated when believing its app store reviews). Which of the two apps would you recommend?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I bought iSequence last night, because more functionality is always better, right? Well, the instruments are alright and you can paste stuff from other apps, but the workflow and navigating the interface is tedious. You can have 8 tracks playing at once, but each track can only play one note/sample at the same time. So, when you want to play a chord of three notes, you only have 5 tracks left for that beat, add some drums and maybe a second instrument and you're done quickly. You can of course bounce your patterns and just arrange them as loops (taking only one track per loop) but the interface makes managing this library of patterns, loops and song parts really frustrating. Especially when you want to change something, you have to find the pattern, edit it, bounce it and edit the new loop into the according song part (which is just another pattern). Patterns are automatically labeled with numbers only, so losing track of what's what happens quickly.

All in all, if you just want to create loops, it's a cool app. You can do some nice things with effects and editing automation is really easy. If you want to create and arrange complete songs though, it is possible, but not much fun in my opinion.

Edit: :argh: Okay, I decided to live on dry toast for the next couple of days and also bought studio.HD ... First of all, the interface is amazing, BUT there is a huge bug that detects an incorrect BPM for most pasted clips. Of course, the default BPM of a clip cannot be changed, so if the BPM are different from your song, studio.HD will time-warp the clip. I checked their forums and it's a known bug/feature ... awesome :suicide:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 26, 2011

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Do I need an external mic to get voice samples in to Reactable? I watched a video online of a guy modifying his voice live, but it didn't show if he was using the ipad's mic or an external.

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for the help guys I am very happy with the apps. Tabtoolkit is fantastic and Karajan seems to be helping me a lot. Thumb Jam is a great deal of fun I wish there was something lke Finale on here, I think it would be great to punch in sheet music, I seem to get my ideas across the best using Finale for new things. Although Music Studio is better than I had hoped. I am having a bit of trouble getting into the swing of rebirth. It's a bit overwhelming at first.

Are there any apps where I can program in shortcuts in a custom button set up for like Logic Pro or Finale hot keys. There has to be....

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

VISMAL posted:

Are there any apps where I can program in shortcuts in a custom button set up for like Logic Pro or Finale hot keys. There has to be....

TouchOSC is what you are looking for (if I thinkt hat's what you are looking for). It's a bloody godsend.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I think GarageBand has hosed up a song I was working on, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them.

I was working on it, and then the next time I loaded it up, it had all these weird clipping issues, would only play half of the sounds I recorded (like get halfway through a bass note and then just stop) and threw some things out of time, at first I just thought maybe it was the limitations of the iPad 1 so exported it and it stil has the same problem, the last change I made before this happened was to turn up the reverb a little on the piano tracks and pan them left/right.

Here's the track to hear what I mean.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
TabToolkit is so good!

Has anyone found an iOS guitar amp app that does a decent metal sound?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amplitube has some OK heavy sounds but gets a bit fizzy with full gain, it could just be the iRig interface adding a lot of background hiss to the proceedings though. If you have an iPad the Heavy Rock setting in Garageband is pretty good also, but again the iRig lets it down a bit, so I look forward to the release of the Apogee interface to see how the sound cleans up. Hopefully having the input and output as different connectors will resolve a lot of the feedback problems that the headphone input method seems plagued with, although there are no-feedback settings in both Amplitube and Garageband to try and rectify this it just seems to take a lot of the balls out of the sound and you end up with everything a bit muted and rounded.

I had a quick go at AmpKit but without the use of its own battery-powered input it very quickly devolves into a mess of noise and feedback, with the right connector it is supposed to be the best iOS amp sim for high-gain sounds.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Kinkajou posted:

Do I need an external mic to get voice samples in to Reactable? I watched a video online of a guy modifying his voice live, but it didn't show if he was using the ipad's mic or an external.

I've got the iPod version. You can use the internal mic for it, but I guess an external one would be better quality.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Thanks for that RandomCheese. Ill check out amp kit.

Edit: amp kit is going to make me poor. Looks awesome.

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 31, 2011

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone bought SonicLife? I bought it in conjunction with TouchOSC and am having trouble configuring it to work with Ableton Live. I'm using OSCulator to communicate between SonicLife and Ableton.

So far, I figured out how to play soft synths using the MIDI Note script on the SonicLife site, but I can't figure out the MIDI CC script. How are you supposed to set up Ableton to make use of that script?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out after a few hours of tinkering. It helps that I figured out what MIDI CC was. D'oh!

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 6, 2011

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
HEY EVERYBODY
http://appshopper.com/music/guitar-pro-2

Guitar Pro for iOS is FREE today so hurry up and grab it while the gettin's good.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Compared GP to TabToolkit. Practically identical, but I think TT has better sound. This surprises me because GP is supposed to have RSE...

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Free is worth a shot. I actually discovered that TabToolkit is made by the Guitar Toolkit guys, which is a program I use all the time. Tuner that totally works, guitar/ukulele chords, metronome...that program was easily worth the $10, so maybe I'll give TT a shot if GP sucks.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Don't know if everyone's seen this, but you can more than likely make a great DIY iRig with stuff you already have laying around:
http://www.cultofmac.com/plug-your-guitar-into-your-iphone-and-ipad-with-this-diy-irig/68113

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 18, 2011

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Every single comment seems to suggest that doesn't actually work unless there is some sort of missing step or the guy had a great stroke of luck with his particular cable set.

I'm for sure interested in checking it out, so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I didn't make up what other people are saying, but I have no way of knowing they aren't all idiots, admittedly.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 18, 2011

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

jakewastaken posted:

Every single comment seems to suggest that doesn't actually work unless there is some sort of missing step or the guy had a great stroke of luck with his particular cable set.

Worked fine for me.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I was going to make one of those custom cables but instead i bought a griffin cable for $20 on ebay. IMO, those cables are basically unusable unless you're not monitoring the output (if you're recording I guess).

Garageband seems to be smart enough to cancel out the insane feedback that builds up from running the input and output through the same cable, but I had absolutely no luck with AmpKit.

I'm keen to buy the Apogee iJam for $99, if I ever find one.

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 18, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
The cable which that guy is using appears to be the sort that sends audio/video signals via RCA from a handheld camera. I believe this works because the video connector(yellow plug) on the video cable is attached to the metal beyond the third band of the plug which goes into the iOS device.

This is the same configuration which shared mic/headphones(wired headsets) use for microphone input. The microphone input is available on the last bit of metal before the plastic starts. So he is just swapping the video "channel" of this cable, for the microphone channel on the iOS device.

The other two cable endpoints(red and white) are being used for the stereo channels from the iOS device, through the adapter, to the headphones.

I find it odd that he is using a stereo 1/4" TRS -> female RCA. No idea what use this cable would have(in any application) with the limited channel(1) available via the RCA cable and connector, but I believe it is having the same effect which a mono 1/4" TRS -> female would have.

Nice find! I'd not thought of that config myself, but it makes great sense. I've got a custom cable which does the exact same thing, without the mess of wires.

renderful fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 18, 2011

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone had any luck getting consistent drum sounds in GarageBand? I can't lay down any drum tracks because even when tapping at the same velocity, I am getting different dynamics out of the drums. I wish there were just some button to turn it off altogether.

Or is there some better drum app that I could just import from?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

rio posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting consistent drum sounds in GarageBand? I can't lay down any drum tracks because even when tapping at the same velocity, I am getting different dynamics out of the drums. I wish there were just some button to turn it off altogether.

I tend to use the Korg iElectribe and iMS-20 drum machines more than GarageBand's drums. If you're looking for something that looks like an actual drum set I'm not sure. The iMS-20 will let you tap it out yourself and the iElectribe has a traditional sequencer where you lay out the pattern over steps.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

I think the velocity is accelerometer based and the more the iPad moves when you strike it the louder the note will be. If you sit the pad on a desk or something so it has no way of physically moving you may have a better chance at making the dynamics more even.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Anyone know of a good drum machine app? If one exists? My Alesis SR16 sounds very dated now.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Anyone know of a good drum machine app? If one exists? My Alesis SR16 sounds very dated now.

If you have an iPad, check out iElectribe. There is also the Xenon Groove Synthesizer, which is universal and might do what you need as well.

Edit: there are also ReBirth versions for both iPad and iPhone.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I own iElectribe (there's also a Gorillaz version I have yet to see mentioned which contains different Gorillaz samples to play with, but I'm pretty sure the original is better), ans iMS-20 and Garageband and love them all.

That being said, should I also throw down an additional 15 for Rebirth on the iPad? Is it worth it? Only being able to get the mp3s through their online share feature sounds pretty assy.

Any thoughts on the Reactable Mobile and Konkreet Performer apps?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 20, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I think ReBirth for iPad totally rocks. The interface is great and recording automation is lots of fun. I would like to hear opinions on Reactable as well.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I think Rebirth will really tie my music production app folder together :) Yeah, that's how I'll justify it to myself.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This is a fantastic thread! Out of interest, are there any decent music notation apps (ala finale/sibelius) for the iPad? Or failing decent ones, are there any at all?

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000
For music notation on iPad, check out Symphony Pro. I've been happy with it as a mobile Finale Notepad.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
That's brilliant, thanks you! Having a manuscript notepad like that as well as the other music stuff has pretty much made my mind up about buying an iPad.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I was thinking about the iPad as a music production tool and was wondering if there are apps that provide the functionality to use an iPhone as an audio input. For example, does Beatmaker allow you to have a headphone splitter hooked up to a couple of 3.5mm patch cables which then serves as a connector between the iPhone and iPad? The splitter is needed so you can actually hear what you are doing. This would theoretically allow the iPhone to use an app without audio saving (like Bebot) and have it serve as input for the iPad's studio apps. Then all the filters and stuff can then be applied.

Is this possible?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was thinking about the iPad as a music production tool and was wondering if there are apps that provide the functionality to use an iPhone as an audio input. For example, does Beatmaker allow you to have a headphone splitter hooked up to a couple of 3.5mm patch cables which then serves as a connector between the iPhone and iPad? The splitter is needed so you can actually hear what you are doing. This would theoretically allow the iPhone to use an app without audio saving (like Bebot) and have it serve as input for the iPad's studio apps. Then all the filters and stuff can then be applied.

Is this possible?

Any existing interface for iDevices will allow this, the iPhone running whatever music app becomes the instrument in place of the guitar/bass. It won't be an app specific thing, every app that allows recording (Garageband, Amplitube etc) will be able to capture any noises put through it and you will be able to monitor what is going on via the output method of your specific connector (ie you'll use the standard headphone port if using the Apogee iJam, but you'd use the piggyback connector on the iRig or AmpKit as they use the 3.5mm jack for both input and output).

The iJam would probably be the best for this situation (actually probably in every situation) because it uses the dock connector and will provide the best fidelity. The iRig has a noticeable hiss when recording and feedback is a pretty big issue because in and out both use the same cable. I can't speak for the AmpKit, it may be better due to it's battery powered nature but it is still using the 3.5mm mic connector for all it's audio duties.

To clarify, the whole chain will go like this:
(iPad with recording app) <-> (iJam or other interface) <-> (6.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable) <-> (iPhone running BeBot or whatever)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. It is amazing what technology can do nowadays. I think I am going to try that exact setup with StudioHD.

EDIT: Is the iJam for sale anywhere? I cannot find any reviews either. It looks like it was just showed off at a tradeshow earlier this year, so it might be a couple of months.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 30, 2011

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The release date was meant to be the end of March but I also have seen very little information on the unit. There was a link on MusicRadar's deals of the week http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/digital_detail.asp?stock=11069999990602 but it says on order so it probably is still working its way through the distribution channels.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ReBirth is currently on sale for both iPad and iPhone :)

Edit: updated the OP and added a new "Tabs & Notes" category.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Beatmaker 2 is 50% off (i.e. $9.99) until friday!

• Locked thread