Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Faster posted:

I just bought the new iPad, the DM1 beat app, Animoog, and Garageband. This is so incredibly cool, I can't wait to sink more time in this. The amount of sounds possible is staggering. Now to get working on a full song...

You forgot one... :)

In TC-11 news, I just finished the 1.4 update, which adds 2 new effects (phaser, reverb), 25 new controllers, 4 new color sets, and lots of small improvements. It's off to the App Store, I'll post more stuff when it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Faster posted:

I just bought the new iPad, the DM1 beat app, Animoog, and Garageband. This is so incredibly cool, I can't wait to sink more time in this. The amount of sounds possible is staggering. Now to get working on a full song...

Grab Tabletop and Synth while they're free too!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For those interested, the Glitchbreaks app should be available shortly on the app store.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hypersleep posted:

For those interested, the Glitchbreaks app should be available shortly on the app store.

Is now.

You might need a direct link to it, though...

https://twitter.com/distraub/status/195297719399616512

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 26, 2012

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Do any of you have Lemur? It gives me a boner just looking at it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

jakewastaken posted:

I've got it. Setup isn't too hard (on a Mac) and I've played with some templates. You'll need to spend an afternoon or two to get it customized enough to do real work with it.

Still loving pricey.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

jakewastaken posted:

It's expensive, but Lemur plus an iConnectMIDI - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnectMIDI - plus hardware synths is loving amazing.

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
So Garageband and DM1 have been easy to use but I could tell Garageband was limited by how "amateurish" the sounds it can produce are and DM1 with inability to paste to Garageband so I made the giant leap of buying Korg iMS20, Beatmaker 2, and Djay.

Conclusions:

Korg ims20 - What the hell was I thinking? I am in way over my head. I don't even know where to start with this behemoth.

Beatmaker 2 - Again, compared to DM1 this requires like a PHD.

Djay - I made a huge mistake with this one. I should have done more reading because I realized I have no idea how DJ/Mixing works conceptually or how to apply it to this app.

Summary: I dropped a shitload of $$$, so now I need to launch a full investigation as to how these things work.

I guess this is why musical artists get paid the big bucks. Making something good is not easy.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
There are terrific youtube videos out there on how to use all of those apps. There are even better videos on how to use a real MS-20. It's identical to the app and you can actually learn how to use those patching panels to great effect.

Find a simple djing tutorial and look into BPMs and Beat Matching. Once you know how to beat match and a simple scratch move you can gently caress with DJay. It might even beat match for you, but understanding what it is happens to be fundamental to the task.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I linked to some real MS20 tutorials in the OP next to the App. Check those out, it's not too hard.

KORG just announced on Facebook, that there is a new update to iKaossilator (AudioPaste support) and that all their Apps are on sale until May 7th. I'm not seeing it in the App store yet, but yay :)

Edit: here are the MS20 videos: http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m2rht118g#/playlist?list=PL3D3721AB90972CB5

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jakewastaken posted:

There are terrific youtube videos out there on how to use all of those apps. There are even better videos on how to use a real MS-20. It's identical to the app and you can actually learn how to use those patching panels to great effect.

Find a simple djing tutorial and look into BPMs and Beat Matching. Once you know how to beat match and a simple scratch move you can gently caress with DJay. It might even beat match for you, but understanding what it is happens to be fundamental to the task.

It also helps to learn about song structure. Depending on which genre you want to "spin", knowing the structure really helps you figure tout where and when to cut in the next song.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Once you figure out all the rad gating and various ways to manipulate the step sequencer in the iMS 20, life will be instantly awesome.

bearstare
Oct 24, 2005

just want to say beatmaker 2 is a great app. recording, editing, looping, everything! is pretty fun on this tiny screen. I was at the bar and game of thrones I already saw was on so I wrote some medieval raps, did up a beat. even recorded demo vocals with the iPhone earphone mic. bearstare - THRONEZ. I re recorded the vocals using my built in laptop mic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's everyone's favorite sample/wave editor under iOS? The recent iKaossilator update gave it audiopaste capability, which is cool, but software like Sunrizer has a habit of padding clips with silence on the ends, which sounds really bad when iKaossilator loops it.

The only editor I have that supports audiopaste is NanoStudio, which I guess is sufficient, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a dedicated editor that does it "better".

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yes, there is "Hokusai" which is awesome and free, but requires an IAP for copy/paste support.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

What's everyone's favorite sample/wave editor under iOS? The recent iKaossilator update gave it audiopaste capability, which is cool, but software like Sunrizer has a habit of padding clips with silence on the ends, which sounds really bad when iKaossilator loops it.

The only editor I have that supports audiopaste is NanoStudio, which I guess is sufficient, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a dedicated editor that does it "better".

Get Hokusai by Wooji Juice and buy the "Pro" in-app purchase ($9.99). Congrats, you now have the killer app for audio editing on iOS.

Edit: Beaten! :negative:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I bought Rhythm Studio the other day while it was on sale for 99¢ so I could use it as a musical sketch pad on my iPhone since Tabletop is iPad only.

I'm pretty impressed with the synths in this app, especially the Phoenix SuperSaw and the Gemini. And the 303 clone is pretty good too.

A big downside is only being able to use 2 effects, but for a buck this app is pretty capable!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anybody know of any Lemur for iPad templates around anywhere, beyond the Liine site?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Emailed the Pulse Code devs asking if there were any plans to include an MPC-like sampler in the future but they say sample-based devices are unlikely as they want to keep Rhythm Studio useable on older devices.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

How much did I drink last night?
Animoog was just dropped from 29.99 to 9.99 on the AppStore today, don't know for how long, but if you've been wanting to get it, now is a good time!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Tabletop received an update recently. Added a SoundCloud based feature called CloudSeeder that is basically the Tabletop SC group built into the app. Also, you can buy any devices you haven't yet purchased at a good discount. If you haven't bought any, you can get them all for $25.

Hope I don't sound like I'm shilling, I just really like this app.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

waqii posted:

Animoog was just dropped from 29.99 to 9.99 on the AppStore today, don't know for how long, but if you've been wanting to get it, now is a good time!

It's for Bob Moog's birthday so I guess this won't last long.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Rob Fielding, the author of Mugician and main programmer of Geo, just released a new microtonal wavetable synth called Cantor.

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/5/26/cantor-released.html

:2bux: on the app store or here's a promo code:

KP6N44HY6LAT

h_double fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 28, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

h_double posted:

Rob Fielding, the author of Mugician and main programmer of Geo, just released a new microtonal wavetable synth called Cantor.

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/5/26/cantor-released.html

:2bux: on the app store or here's a promo code:

KP6N44HY6LAT
The video looked cool and I ended up buying it and now I'm completely lost. I think I just wasted 2 bucks. Geo is a lot more user-friendly than this app.

EDIT: Ah, this seems to be more of a midi control app instead of a synth itself. Welp, I'm dumb. At least take this as a warning if you think it's going to be an app like Geo synthesizer or Mugician.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 28, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It does MIDI control but it's also a wavetable synth with looper + effects. Like Mugician, it's definitely more of a performance instrument rather than sound design or sequencing.

Is there anything specific that you find un-user-friendly? I'm friends with the developer and happy to relay any feedback.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Is anyone else having trouble with Animoog not making any sound?

EDIT : Figured it out. It had the "Background Sound" or something like that on by default.

TheNinjaD fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 31, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've lost so many hours messing around with Animoog. It's by far my favorite synth app. It's the only app that achieves an almost analogue sound.

I wish Moog would get with the program and add Sonoma AudioCopy though. The general pasteboard is a pain in the rear end to use. I also wish they'd stop neglecting Filtatron and give it some much needed sample management features and bug fixes.

Anyway, what's the best option for feeding audio from my iPad to my iPhone? I've seen a lot of people using that iRig thing. I just want to input sound from Animoog on my iPad to Filtatron on my iPhone.

Edit: I bought DM1 recently and I'm surprised how versitile and well designed it is for being "just" a drum machine app. I've been thinking of putting together some loops with only DM1 and Animoog, tossing them into Multitrack DAW and making a track or two.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 11, 2012

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^Yup, an iRig or something similar would suit your purposes just fine.

Can anyone explain how FM mode in Sunrizer works? I assumed Osc 2 becomes the modulator signal and Osc 1 becomes the carrier signal but I'm so new to synths that I'm not quite sure. Unfortunately, the Sunrizer manual is tragically outdated (it's still under Horizon synth 1.1).

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Here's some footage of the Ninja Jamm app that the Ninja Tune dudes are making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8cYKpuAZs

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Pingiivi posted:

Here's some footage of the Ninja Jamm app that the Ninja Tune dudes are making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8cYKpuAZs
That looks pretty cool.

Does anyone here have any experience with 76 Synthesizer?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Can anyone recommend a sampler? Needs to be iPad or universal. I'd like to have a standalone sampler.. I see a bunch on the app store but I trust you guys more

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheNinjaD posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with 76 Synthesizer?

I haven't used it myself but judging from videos, 76 Synth is a generic sounding synth with a beautifully designed UI. With things like Animoog, Sunrizer and Addictive Synth available, I'm not sure what 76 could possibly offer, sound design wise.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

mitztronic posted:

Can anyone recommend a sampler? Needs to be iPad or universal. I'd like to have a standalone sampler.. I see a bunch on the app store but I trust you guys more

I'd like to know this as well. There will be the MPC Fly at some point in the future though, as well as an official MPC device inside Tabletop.

Edit: SampleLab was recommended in this thread a couple of times, but I'm not sure about its features. http://samplelabapp.com/

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I recommend Propellerhead's Figure App (iPhone/0.99)

Its this really cool Kaos pad style app where you have drum pads, bass, and lead synth with a ton of different sounds and you control them by moving your finger across a pad to record patters.

Video (go to 10:13 to see the app): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkjdTzIwA0

Company Website: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/figure/

iTunes site: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/figure/id511269223?mt=8

Its pretty powerful for what it is, you have tons of control over the rhythm, the range and the steps an instrument. Its a great way to kill 30 minutes because once you start using it you cant really stop its addictive. It creates some really cool beats and little "snapshots" for music.

And hell its 99 cents. cant go wrong. Also i know i said it was iPhone only, if you have an iPad don't fear that's what i use it on the interface scales beautifully and you wont have any problems at all. Incredibly easy to use i highly recommend it.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

If you can manage to get the site to load, the Arturia Minimoog VST is free today, the 21st: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/minimoogv/minimoogv-original.html

Edit: And this is in the wrong thread, gently caress! It's still free though, I'll leave it here for the people who do production on non-iOS stuff too.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 21, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

If you can manage to get the site to load, the Arturia Minimoog VST is free today, the 21st: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/minimoogv/minimoogv-original.html

Edit: And this is in the wrong thread, gently caress! It's still free though, I'll leave it here for the people who do production on non-iOS stuff too.

No no, this is the right thread because, despite not even owning a laptop anymore I definitely want this VST in case I ever turn back from being iOS-only.

But loving hell you weren't kidding about the site load...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I updated to the latest version of Animoog on an iPad 2, rebooted my iPad, and it crashes moments after I open it every time. Anyone else have this problem?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

drat, I hadn't used Animoog in a while, but sure enough, mine is doing the same thing (I'm on 3rd gen iPad). Delete and reinstall didn't help either.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The TNR-I tenori-on app is $10, first time it's been on sale from the usual $20. Anybody have any experience using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

duckfarts posted:

The TNR-I tenori-on app is $10, first time it's been on sale from the usual $20. Anybody have any experience using it?

I've never used a real Tenori-On, but the App seems really close. I did two YouTube tutorials covering the App's MIDI functionality:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21705F2F2297DC68&feature=plcp

EDIT: Updated the OP with new stuff from the thread and decluttered it also a little here and there. lord funk's TC-11 is finally in the OP as well, sorry it took so long!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 28, 2012

• Locked thread