Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Great OP! I endorse all the apps that you mention.

If you want to play with samples on a pocket-sized device (iPhone or iPod Touch), then I recommend Beatmaker. http://www.intua.net/

It's really slick. You can tweak your samples, tap poo poo out on MPC-style pads and arrange poo poo in a step sequencer.

Sound Trends makes a bunch of iOS music stuff. http://www.soundtrends.com/

Looptastic HD is cool if you want to gently caress around with sampled loops (duh). It's geared toward live fiddling, and it has a slick interface that utilizes the touchscreen well. It's nice to move away from virtual knobs and stuff.

They also have Studio.HD, which is a whole crazy DAW program. I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty cool.

All of the Sound Trends apps want to sell you loop libraries, but they also let you load in your own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Also wanted to comment on this:

FLX posted:

iElectribe on the other hand is refreshingly easy to use and great fun too. I haven't gotten much into ReBirth yet, but I think once I do, iElectribe will become very shallow quickly.

For percussion, I'd say that the Electribe is deeper than anything in ReBirth.

ReBirth is great in its own way for simulating those classic Roland machines. There are few sounds on this Earth that fill me with as much joy as the 808 cowbell, and the 303s are certainly a lot of fun to play with.

It's more feasible to make a whole song in ReBirth than in iElectribe, but there's no reason to limit yourself to one app, when you can bounce loops out of both and put them together in a sample-based app. :) (Or use an actual computer.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RivensBitch posted:

Maybe I'm just too into the status quo, but I couldn't see myself seriously getting into any of these apps until there was a way to get audio and synchronization in and out of them. Audio is probably not too hard but I highly doubt that if there's a MIDI interface for iPad, that most of these programs support MTC or MIDI clock.

There are/will be some options for MIDI. http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/on-ipad-midi/

There are already a couple of portable studio apps that let you record audio. You only get one stereo in, but you can record one track at a time and keep adding stuff.

Currently, I think these apps make the iPad a good on-the-go scratch pad that lets you play around with ideas and noodle around. If you come up with a sound or melody that you like, you're generally given some means of exporting it to use in your real setup.

I don't think it's going to replace your actual studio any time soon, though it could have some great uses there as a control surface at least. I think there's a lot of potential with stuff like this.

edit: midipad looks pretty drat neat: http://www.midipad.de/Website/midipad.html

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 12, 2010

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Homie S posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Preview for another iOS app that runs 4.2

Oh snap, you can access your music library for stuff like this in 4.2! Hell yes!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

toxick posted:

Intua, the company that made BeatMaker...

intua posted:

- Native iPad version coming soon as a free update

poo poo, negro. That's all you had to say.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Cool stuff, thanks for the vid.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yamaha came out with a universal app emulating the Tenori-on. It's pretty fully featured and fun to use. Now I get why people like the Tenori-on so much!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tnr-i/id406297563?mt=8

I made a crappy little tune with it! http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/hope-you-like-random-bleeps

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

magiccarpet posted:

I feel like the pressure sensitivity is all hosed up on the app. Most of the time it won't input notes unless I hang on the press a bit longer.

If you're in a "Score" layer (where it works like a step sequencer), then it is supposed to take a second to confirm. You'll notice a little circle appears around where you touch, and it only saves the note if you hold until it shrinks all the way down.

quote:

My rabbits are all freaking out at your song. They like blippy synth noises. Its weird.

:3:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rabid Koala posted:

EDIT: The TNR-i US (Tenorion) looks interesting. Is is easy to use? I want something simple.

It's an awesome app, and it's pretty simple, though you'll need to read the manual. The way the different layers work is not self-evident.

Once you scan through the brief manual, you'll be making cool stuff in no time. All the functions are very immediately available, rather than buried in menus.

japtor posted:

This video of iDJ Live has been floating around the past few days, been meaning to post it here. It's a little $100 Numark dual turntable setup that works with djay and whatever other apps that are programmed for it...which may just be djay at this point for all I know.

That looks like a hoot to play around with, but I sure wouldn't want to base an actual live performance around an app which tends to run out of memory and crap out.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm enjoying iMaschine. I'm actually getting the full-blown Maschine soon, so it'll be fun to have some simple beats sketched out to drop into it and hit the ground running.

As a standalone app, it could benefit from some fleshing out, but if you like tapping stuff out and live looping, it's a blast.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

magiccarpet posted:

I really think it's the next evolution of iOS apps. Sketch a bit here and there, then cloud that poo poo to your DAW to finish it up.

Yeah, that works great for me as someone who rides the train a lot.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would certainly never use an iPhone app in a live setting, but that's only a strike against it if that's a concern for you.

iPhones and iPads are just too drat crashy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TheNinjaD posted:

This is more in line with my experience. Of course, my iPad is only about 5 months old so it's the absolute most current model. It could be that complications arise with older hardware and newer apps.

That could be it. I have a first generation iPad, and apps run out of memory and crash all the time.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm enjoying Figure. I agree with the complaints about its lack of real utility, but I see myself fooling around with it while I'm on the train quite a bit.

Recorded my own twiddling here: http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/figure-fiddling

The UI is quite nice, and with some additions it could become very useful. I was pretty skeptical, since Reason makes me want to cut my hands off.

edit: And just for the heck of it, here's another jam. This one's a bit more catchy. http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/fig-2

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 6, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Are people still digging Nave now that it's been out for a while? I'm selling my Waldorf Q, and while I'm not going to miss the analog modeling (there are so many good alternatives now), Nave looks like it'll scratch the wavetable itch.

I'm getting a new iPad soonish, so I'm just checking up on what's come along since I last had a supported model. :)

iOS music poo poo has gotten nuts it seems.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
In my experience, streaming audio over bluetooth introduces enough latency to make it less than desirable, though maybe that's down to the particular hardware I was using.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Eegah posted:

My current music process:

I don't know why this whole music thing brings out the ADHD so hard but drat. I think perhaps it's because I'm still in the stupid newbie phase and I'm still learning how to get that sound on synths, develop melodies and everything all at once and I'm not concentrating on any specific task.

What's sad is that I've been in that phase for almost 20 years.

I should probably move on and find a new hobby at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

JHVH-1 posted:

Got the nanoKey studio for my birthday and its pretty drat cool. Plop some AAA batteries and then you can pair the bluetooth right inside gadget and be controlling things right away. Kamata allows you to draw waveforms with the kaosspad which feels a lot nicer for some reason.
The buttons that allow you to switch the functions around for the different parts of the controller seem to work well, even in other apps like animoog. You can switch the keyboard section to to scales on the "white" keys and then the "black" keys become chords, or you can make the rhythm pad play chords.

I find the scale and chord functions a little odd. One weird thing is that the chord buttons will yield chords containing notes that aren't in the scale that I'm using. I also expected it to dovetail more seamlessly with Gadget's internal scale and key selection.

The scale guide (where it lights up the appropriate notes rather than skipping them altogether) seems to just make C the root and then it transposes the output. I guess it makes sense with such a small keyboard, since you don't have that much real estate to work with, but it threw me for a loop at first.

I think there's a newer firmware than what I'm using, so I should get on that.

It's a nice control surface, and I think with some software tweaks it'll be really excellent.

edit: also, sometimes the mappings are just weird and I have to like quit gadget and reconnect to get it all back to normal. It's like it drops out of native mode or something.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 16, 2016

• Locked thread