Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Three Red Lights posted:

The only thing I really want from an app is a barebones, put your own mp3s in, play them with a pad sampler. The fact I havent found one yet makes me suspect theres some logistical reason it isnt possible on iOS. Maybe memory constraints, maybe apple just dont like the idea of any app that triggers mp3s that isnt itunes.
Should be possible, and there was a sort of constraint I guess. Up until iOS 4.1 (and 4.2 on iPad) music library access was limited to just playing the music in the background, so to import files the user would have to do it manually separately either through wifi transfer or iTunes file sharing (...which also came with iOS 4 I think). So it could be done with 3.x, it's just a pain in the rear end for the user. I'd expect more music apps that use your existing stuff once 4.2 has been out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was going to post about this app earlier but I completely forgot the name, until now! SoundYeah, looks like a basic drum pad app but you can do some stuff to modify the audio playback within the squares. Doesn't sound like it supports importing and sampling from your music library, but like I mentioned before it should be possible with iOS 4 now...just a matter of it finally coming out and for the devs to support it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Homie S posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Preview for another iOS app that runs 4.2
This app came out recently, yesterday I think, $20.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Akai announced the SynthStation49 pretty recently for iPad, while looking for that I found that they apparently also have a smaller SynthStation25 for iPhone/iPod that came out back in November.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Posted this a few days ago in the iOS app thread, copy/pasting here:

If anyone wants to play with a turntable app but is too cheap for djay, Tap DJ is pretty cool ($1.99 right now)...not that I really know what I'm doing other than making noise. Not sure if they plan on supporting iPad (whether universal or a separate version), but it seems ok in 2x mode. Menus are larger than they would be in a native app of course, but the main turntable UI works fine.

I haven't tried it on my iPhone yet, but on there it also has "gyroscratch" so you can do awesome/stupid stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK1lQHHPWJc

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iElectribe is iPad only isn't it?

Popcorn posted:

at an open mic performance
Little tip to prevent a possible mishap: turn on Airplane Mode and disable notifications so you don't possibly get interrupted by a phone call or text message or whatever. I'm not sure there's a way to turn off local notifications so watch out for those too I guess. I think the Calendar app uses them so uh, make sure he doesn't have some alarm set to go off (which can be set for another day!) during performance time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iMS-20 and iElectribe were both updated with this stuff:

quote:

- WIST (Wireless Sync-Start Technology) allows wireless start between compatible apps on two iPads
- AudioCopy has been added which enables the sharing of audio data between compatible apps
- MIDI control capabilities have been enhanced (nano series 2 is now fully supported)
Additionally iElectribe has some sort of export to SoundCloud function.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
djay for iPhone/iPod is 99 cents right now, not sure how much longer.

I'm too cheap for the iPad version so I just picked this up and run it doubled like I did with Tap DJ a while back :v:. The audio seems to be better than Tap DJ at least, but I haven't figured out the rest of the UI yet...not that I really know what the hell to do with turntable apps other than mess with the crossfader and cue points.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think the splitter thing was through one of those minijack to composite video and stereo audio cables. I guess you just have to figure out which ones correspond to the mic and output then work from there with gender change adapters. The price for all that (cable + adapters) should be under $10...it may not work, but eh, it's :10bux:.

edit-might not be ideal cause video cables have a different impedance, but in cheaper cables they might all be the same anyways.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't know about phantom power usage, but the iPad doesn't seem to output all that much power to begin with. It might just be there to ensure that it all works vs a possible crapshoot when just relying on the iPad's output.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This video of iDJ Live has been floating around the past few days, been meaning to post it here. It's a little $100 Numark dual turntable setup that works with djay and whatever other apps that are programmed for it...which may just be djay at this point for all I know.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I liked the fifth screenshot. Go to all this trouble to recreate it...then stick standard iOS roller selectors in there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Have any of you dudes downloaded sampletank yet? Or used the iRig midi? I thought it looked kind of rad, but I was checking it out on the ik multimedia YouTube channel, so of course they made it look good. Am considering this for some home recording stuff, just wanted to know if anybody else had tried it before I take the plunge.
I just saw a review today and remembered your post:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/20/irig-midi-and-sampletank-for-ios-review/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheNinjaD posted:

Well, how many is "half" and what are they? Not supporting Audio Copy / Audio Paste is a pretty big mark against it for me, anyway.
The modules are on the website, look for "included in release promotion!": http://retronyms.com/devices.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iKaossilator just got updated with iPad support and other stuff (note it's going up in price Dec 1st or so...edit, or not! Sale extended to Dec 31):

quote:

What's New in Version 2.0.0
iKaossilator Version 2 is available now!
Audio export, iPad full-screen support, and many more new features

● Audio Export records and saves your performance, just as you heard it
● iPad native support allows the iKaossilator to fill the iPad’s large 9.7" screen
● “SoundCloud” allows users to share and remix loops with other users worldwide
● “AudioCopy” provides an easy way to copy audio data between musical instrument apps
● Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks

☐ Audio Export saves your performance as a file
Now you can record your performance in real time, or export a completed loop as an audio file. By sending your creations to a Mac or PC via iTunes, you can share them with your friends or use them in a full-fledged music production. You can also upload them directly to SoundCloud.

☐ iPad native support provides full-screen (9.7") iKaossilator enjoyment
Now you can perform taking full advantage of the iPad's large 9.7" display. Enjoy iKaossilator on your iPhone while riding public transportation, and on your iPad while performing live!

☐ “SoundCloud” allows sharing or remix loops with users worldwide
“SoundCloud” is a music distribution and sharing service that's very popular among musical creators. The loops you create can now be uploaded directly to “SoundCloud” from within the app. If you attach the loop data when doing so, it will be shared to other users' loop lists. Users worldwide will be exposed to new loops they've never heard, and can combine them with their own loops to create remixes. It's a new way of enjoying music by and unleashing your iKaossilator’s potential throughout the world.

☐ “AudioCopy” lets you share audio data between musical instrument apps
Newly added support for “AudioCopy” from Sonoma Wire Works means that you can copy and paste audio data between apps. Audio data you export from iKaossilator can be sent to apps that support AudioPaste.

☐ Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks
Designed for live performance, the Flex Play feature makes it easy to generate fills or breaks. Touch and hold Length or Tempo buttons, and then try stroking the touchpad. Movement in the X-axis will change the Length of all parts, and movement in the Y-axis will change the Tempo, allowing you to add dynamic changes to your song that will further expand your performance possibilities.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 30, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jakewastaken posted:

I have almost every single app in this thread and only mess around for fun with them, but I regret nothing!
:hfive:

Out of all the stuff I've gotten I've probably had he most fun with TapDJ, just let it record randomly during conversation then screw around with that for a while. Sounds incredibly stupid (and I'm sure it is) but it can be surprisingly fun. I'd rather use DJay for it but it doesn't do recording from mic from what I can tell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Do the embedded videos work on iOS now? I disabled it a while back (so videos just show up as links) because they wouldn't show up at all before on iOS.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
if anyone needs a cheapish USB audio in/out thing for their iPad, I came across this one for ~$30 while looking for a DAC for my computer (there's also the UCA-202 in silver and no random extra software). RCA in and out with a monitor on/off switch for the input, along with optical and headphone output (which doesn't appear to silence the RCA out). There's a few videos on YouTube with it and the iPad like this one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

special jack that connects to the 30-pin dock connector at the bottom of your iPad or iPhone. (Special three-foot/one-meter iPad/iPhone cable included.)
Wonder if a special cable replacement costs about the same as the CCK if you ever lose it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

The total omission of saving or exporting is a pretty glaring flaw.. I'm going to assume it'll show up in an update in the future because it's kind of a basic assumption that all iOS music apps have export options.

Guess they intended it as nothing more than a jamming tool? Which it's really good at, I'll give them that.
While looking for more info on the app yesterday I saw a mention on the Propellerheads forums that they plan to do saving in update, hopefully that wasn't some misinterpretation.

I think this is the first music app that doesn't make me feel completely inept cause my lack of musical talent :v:. I mean I've messed around with iElectribe and others but suck at normal sequencer recording things apparently. How's iKaossilator compare in terms of ease of putting something together?

• Locked thread