Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm seriously considering putting sound baffling inside my printer's enclosure. The cheap high-pitched steppers are pretty harsh.

You could also upgrade the mainboard to something with silent stepper drivers, but your posts just talk about your printer taking proprietary gcode so I don't know what it is or how easy that would be. If you want to quiet it down make sure you use something that's not flammable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I made a feature request for this ages ago over on Prusa, including pictures of the lovely artifacts it creates. Guess it took a fork.
Yeah I looked at implementing it generically back when Slic3r was doing all of their rewrite to move more code into C. I found the place where a check could be made where the extruded path length had to be over a certain total length, said "Yup it would go right there", but then saw there were like 5 build environments you needed to set up to build the thing on Windows and decided somebody else would probably fix it soon. Then three years later, someone did! Laziness always pays off, folks.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
What are people using for the bed temp for the Jessie filament? Just switched over from Hatchbox black to their gunmetal. Bed is 60 throughout the print with first layer at 210 and everything else at 205. Tried a simple print and had some bed adhesion issues and the first layer wasn't the best either.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I found a combo pancake stepper and titan extruder clone on Amazon for $20 and decided to convert my Ender to direct drive, because I just can't leave well enough alone and it nearly feature matches a prusa at this point anyway.

So I'm setting it up, printed a nice bracket, everything goes in pretty smoothly. I've got the front cover open to install the little bowden piece between the hotend and the extruder and PTANG!!!

the loving spring lets loose and shoots me in the forehead and all the pieces fly everywhere. The one thing I can't find is the little plastic filament guide. Now my printer is down because of a piece that would take me 15 minutes to model and print if it were working.

i have flown too close to the sun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:engleft: If you had bought a genuine e3d Titan, it comes with instructions saying to always release tension on the spring before removing the cover specifically so that doesn't happen.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sagebrush posted:

:engleft: If you had bought a genuine e3d Titan, it comes with instructions saying to always release tension on the spring before removing the cover specifically so that doesn't happen.

I mean, if i had just looked at the thing before loving around with it I probably would have realized that. I think quarantine has made me dumber somehow.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Help I'm addicted to upgrading my printer, I've spent way more time upgrading it than I have on the projects i bought it for in the first place.

Why is this so fun.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

Help I'm addicted to upgrading my printer, I've spent way more time upgrading it than I have on the projects i bought it for in the first place.

Why is this so fun.

For me, tinkering with hardware like boards, drivers, sensorless homing, etc is so much fun.

My next project is making my own ir runout sensor setup.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

NtotheTC posted:

Why is this so fun.

One of us! One of us! Seriously though, for the right kind of personality that initial printer calibration just opens up a Pandora's box. I've gone through one and a half rolls of filament since getting my printer a month ago and so far I've only printed one terrain piece, which was the original point. Still so fun, though.

I have a stupid question about calculating flow rate. So if I printed a test cube using settings that already had a flow rate that is something other than 100%, I need to divide the expected measurement for the cube by the actual measurements to get an adjustment ratio and then multiply that number by the original flow rate, right? So for example if I printed a test cube at 96% and got a ratio of 1.039, my new flow rate should be 96 * 1.039 ≈100%?

E: one more stupid question. Does Cura have some way of comparing print settings side-by-side? I've dialed in a 0.16 layer height profile pretty well and I thought I had carried all those settings over to a 0.2 layer height profile, but for some reason when I slice using the 0.2 profile the time estimate to print is oddly longer than on my .16 layer profile.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 5, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

calandryll posted:

What are people using for the bed temp for the Jessie filament? Just switched over from Hatchbox black to their gunmetal. Bed is 60 throughout the print with first layer at 210 and everything else at 205. Tried a simple print and had some bed adhesion issues and the first layer wasn't the best either.

I've been using 60 for bed temp for Jessie, but some of their PLA seems to want a slightly higher temperature - I've had the Golden Glitter at 225 and the others (including a gunmetalish transition roll) at 215.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

I'm doing 215/210 and 60, which turned out to be the "generic PLA" setting in PrusaSlicer, haha.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

NtotheTC posted:

Why is this so fun.

Have you heard the word of frankenprinter? it's dumber than the prusa, but gosh it tries.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I hate upgrading my printer. I still keep doing, it though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

calandryll posted:

215/60 with quarter white.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies. I'll try 215/210 on the next print.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone with a CRS-10 Pro have a good stl for a cooler? I put a microswiss on and its just a tad bit shorter than the stock one and the 3 or 4 vents I’ve printed out have been too big and go below the nozzle.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Kalman posted:

Nope, I have a V6 mounted on my E3, works fine. Make sure you have the 24V version and make sure you printed a carriage mount *before* disassembling the old hot end.

Interesting. What are your thoughts on the relative merits?

I have most of a mount printed. Well, I have one of the minimalist ones printed, and I have most of a bullseye mount printed. Realised I forgot the front bit of the clamp mount for the hotend.

With the Z screw, I realised the lube on it is in a spiral, if that makes sense. Ie there are some splines (?) that are lubricated and some that aren't.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

General_Failure posted:

Interesting. What are your thoughts on the relative merits?

The E3D is nice for PETG which sometimes ran up against the desirable limit for temperature for a PTFE-throated hotend, and the nozzle quality definitely seems better. Beyond that, I got it fairly early in printer life so can’t say too much as a comparison. Probably worthwhile?

Direct drive mounting the extruder was worthwhile although a bit more of a pain.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

KING OV HELL posted:

This may have been talked about on a previous page but, anyone got any tips for snagging one of these elegoo Saturn's? I had pre ordered a MMF Mars pro but have received zero communication so I cancelled and am going to try to get a Saturn but the reddit resin guys seemed pretty doom and gloom about elegoos site. Anyone have experience buying stuff direct from them?

Apparently the answer is "use a bot to buy it for you" because that's what happened to all of the early bird priced ones. OOS within 20 seconds. I clicked checkout within 5 seconds and it threw me in a queue and then after a minute or so told me they were out! The pre order priced ones were OOS within 3 minutes although it might have been as little as 1-2.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I got hosed as well. Had the pre order set and partial set to pay then told it was sold out, had the pre order one set to pay and then got told it was sold out too.

Apparently Shopify doesn't keep the poo poo in your cart when you are checking out for some weird reason. Complete clusterfuck with a lot of pissed off people who went from payment processing to WHOOPS ALL GONE.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, I got hosed as well. Had the pre order set and partial set to pay then told it was sold out, had the pre order one set to pay and then got told it was sold out too.

Apparently Shopify doesn't keep the poo poo in your cart when you are checking out for some weird reason. Complete clusterfuck with a lot of pissed off people who went from payment processing to WHOOPS ALL GONE.

Same here :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoops, meant paypal and not partial. Autocorrect :argh:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Somehow I managed to get one, just a pre-order but had the same experience. Three seconds from refresh to pay, tossed in the queue, somehow it was pulled from my cart.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Phenom L: print volume of 346 x 194 x 400 mm :vince:

$3200, but still...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

$3200, but still...

Yeah the full cosplay helmets are pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFpkMRC-4n0

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rapulum_Dei posted:

$3200, but still...

I mean, it'll cost like $50 a print in resin alone if you actually use that volume, so 3 grand doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Not to mention the money you’ll save on bondo :D

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Do people often attempt to build up bigger objects like those masks using multiple smaller resin prints? It’d need a lot of finicky design work involving integrated joinery and locating features, but resin parts are routinely made to close enough tolerances that it seems like it ought to be practical to make assemblies of parts that fit together extremely closely without needing much finishing work, esp if the assembled part has ridges/grooves/line work that you can hide seams in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The irritating thing about building prints on a resin printer is the complete pain in the rear end it is to get a flat surface half the time. I've printed minis and a few other "build it" pieces and damned if there wasn't one section that was ) instead of |.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
resin printers have limitations to the geometry they can print accurately or even at all. it's necessary to understand the forces involved as the part is printed in order to design parts that can be printed accurately. the material is only partially cured by the printer so is not at full strength so it can distort during printing or after printing when handling and curing. for thicker structures it's less of a problem but you can also end up with so much surface area prints fail to detach between layers.

i often make smaller objects from multiple parts so features can be optimally aligned for printing. for something like a mask i doubt you would even need or want alignment features, it would be enough just to line up the edges. resin bonds well with cyanoacrylate so it is pretty easy to build larger structures from smaller prints. you can even use the resin to bond together sections of cover seams which gives the possibility of invisible joints, at least for more organic shapes.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like my issue with the Jessie filament was my model. I had put something together in Sketchup because I'm more comfortable in that and the STLs from it were poo poo. I remade what I wanted today in Fusion and printed fine.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I’ve moved my printer to a warmer part of my unit (assuming the heater is running) in an attempt to get rid of the warping I started to see when the temps started to get colder. It seems better, most spots have only a slight warp, but I’ve noticed that the most badly warped area of the print I’m current running is the left side of the print - the part closest to the heat break fan/heat sink. So I presume that airflow is causing more cooling on that side of the print, and some additional shrouding to shield the print from air movement might be in order.

Has anyone else ever needed to look at something like this?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

calandryll posted:

Looks like my issue with the Jessie filament was my model. I had put something together in Sketchup because I'm more comfortable in that and the STLs from it were poo poo. I remade what I wanted today in Fusion and printed fine.

SketchUp sucks for 3d printing. It makes lots of non-manifold solids and generally doesn't work with slicing and printing. F360 or some other 3d modeling program is far better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Has anyone else ever needed to look at something like this?

Assuming you're printing ABS, do you absolutely have to print ABS? The only real solution is an enclosure, or use PLA or PETG.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Assuming you're printing ABS, do you absolutely have to print ABS? The only real solution is an enclosure, or use PLA or PETG.

Nope, PLA+.

Which doesn’t bode well for the PETG I will need to print soon.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

SketchUp sucks for 3d printing. It makes lots of non-manifold solids and generally doesn't work with slicing and printing. F360 or some other 3d modeling program is far better.

Yeah, I used it once, SketchUp, for a very simple print. This wasn't that complex but still all sorts of screwed up. Did a redesign and it's much nicer. However the learning curve for 360 is crazy.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I still use Sketchup Make 2017 for simple stuff because I just have a 10+ year old laptop and it's faster to get up and going and Fusion360 is sluggish on it. Trying to make any kind of spherical object or anything that doesn't involve straight lines in Sketchup is trouble.

I'm trying to use Fusion360 more in general, though.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 9, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TinkerCAD is a good simple 3d building program if you don't want to learn a lot of stuff. I've been pushing myself to do more with Fusion 360 because it seems worthwhile to learn the more complicated stuff in the long run but plenty of folks make great models with tinkercad.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

calandryll posted:

Yeah, I used it once, SketchUp, for a very simple print. This wasn't that complex but still all sorts of screwed up. Did a redesign and it's much nicer. However the learning curve for 360 is crazy.

It is, but it's also a good framework for understanding modern 3d cad programs. And you can't argue with the cost.

In completely unrelated news, SolidWorks is spendy... Just bought 2020 Pro. $5500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody tried delving into the depths that is BRL-CAD?