Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sockser posted:

I was in the first wave of Prusa minis and had to do a lot of tweaking to get it printing remotely reliably with non-prusa filament

I know there was a lot of processes that got changed on the assembly lines as a result of my non-unique experiences, excited to hear goon testimony for the quality of them now

Honestly I'm a little scared. I hope the one I get has all of the bugs fixed and I can just enjoy printing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ickna
May 19, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Honestly I'm a little scared. I hope the one I get has all of the bugs fixed and I can just enjoy printing poo poo.

It will be. All the spools I have run through our two minis have been the Overture PLA and haven’t had a single issue yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How exactly do you gently caress up a printer design in such a way that it can't reliably deal with a multitude of PLA variants nowadays? The Prusa mini has a heated PEI-coated buildplate, no?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys, I have a small 3D puzzle design that I put together that I'd like to print up to give out as swag for my team at work, since the shape of the puzzle is our team logo. I printed up a prototype and learned a few things -- first that the tips need to be thicker so they don't break, but I need some engineering/design help on how to make the puzzle joins work better:

The pieces fit together fine -- but don't hold together very well. In the photos above, if you touch that plane at all the pieces fall apart.

Anybody have any tips on what kind of shape or approach to use to have a friction-join that will keep the puzzle together? I feel like this kind of thing is a solved problem but I don't have any engineering or material design expertise for what kind of shape to use instead of the jigsaw-style circles.

It's ultimately going to be printed probably with SLS in bulk if that matters.

I'm going to be paying a designer to make the changes to my basic design, but I don't actually know what to tell them to change it to, like what kind of join to use to make the puzzle more structurally sound when its assembled. The idea is that people can take it apart or put it together as a fun little fidget thing. I thought maybe there might be some engineers in here who could point me to some dovetail-esque joinery magic that I can explore further.

ephori fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2020

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

ephori posted:

Anybody have any tips on what kind of shape or approach to use to have a friction-join that will keep the puzzle together? I feel like this kind of thing is a solved problem but I don't have any engineering or material design expertise for what kind of shape to use instead of the jigsaw-style circles.

Two solid bodies which move 'as one', have exactly 6 independent points of contact. A single jigsaw-piece joint will have either 2, 3, or 4, depending on whether the male tongue balloons out (convex) or sucks in (concave). The art of puzzle design is finding a kinematic 'path', where each point of contact is added one by one over time, until the mechanism locks. It's actually a very tricky problem!

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
Found a old server cabinet at a thrift store for $35, I think it makes a nice enclosure. Do you think it has enough passive ventilation that I don't need to move the power supply and electronics outside the cabinet?

https://i.imgur.com/dt0GOyZ.jpg

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Combat Pretzel posted:

How exactly do you gently caress up a printer design in such a way that it can't reliably deal with a multitude of PLA variants nowadays? The Prusa mini has a heated PEI-coated buildplate, no?

Ask everybody that fights with PLA on their billion knockoff printers.

Mostly it comes down to poor surface finish on the internal components of all-metal hotends in my experience.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Ask everybody that fights with PLA on their billion knockoff printers.

Mostly it comes down to poor surface finish on the internal components of all-metal hotends in my experience.

"Just buy a Prusa, they use high quality components and that's why they charge 3x as much" kinda removes that as an excuse.

(Also, they fight with it because they're doing a bad job leveling 99% of the time.)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Combat Pretzel posted:

With the first batch of Prusa minis, is was an issue with the nozzle not being tight enough, which would cause a bulb to form on the end of the filament when it retracted, and then a jam, and then the extruder gears grinding on the filament until there wasn’t enough left to drive

But then Prusament is just so dang loving good that this somehow wasn’t a problem

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mofabio posted:

Two solid bodies which move 'as one', have exactly 6 independent points of contact. A single jigsaw-piece joint will have either 2, 3, or 4, depending on whether the male tongue balloons out (convex) or sucks in (concave). The art of puzzle design is finding a kinematic 'path', where each point of contact is added one by one over time, until the mechanism locks. It's actually a very tricky problem!

Well drat. That makes sense, but sounds like it is likely beyond my level of skill here or what I would get for a couple hours of design time from a freelancer.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

With the first batch of Prusa minis, is was an issue with the nozzle not being tight enough, which would cause a bulb to form on the end of the filament when it retracted, and then a jam, and then the extruder gears grinding on the filament until there wasn’t enough left to drive

But then Prusament is just so dang loving good that this somehow wasn’t a problem

sounds like tolerance stacking

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

shovelbum posted:

sounds like tolerance stacking

Honestly it’s not even tolerance stacking, it was an issue in assembly— I just had to snug up the ptfe tube or the nozzle or something, no parts changing required

I saw someone on the Prusa describe it as accidental DRM, which gave me a laugh

insta
Jan 28, 2009
What is the option in Marlin to probe the bed with a BLTouch in 9 or 16 spots and build a heat-map that gets automatically applied to my prints?

Don't tell me it's loving UBL because that poo poo is completely incomprehensible and entirely overengineered for what it needs to do.

I want to do a G28 then G29 in my start code and have everything JustWork.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

insta posted:

What is the option in Marlin to probe the bed with a BLTouch in 9 or 16 spots and build a heat-map that gets automatically applied to my prints?

Don't tell me it's loving UBL because that poo poo is completely incomprehensible and entirely overengineered for what it needs to do.

I want to do a G28 then G29 in my start code and have everything JustWork.

Bilineal Auto bed leveling?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Bilinear should do it.

Speaking of linear, I'm trying to dial-in linear advance on my ender 3. Is it advisable to "babystep" the k factor during a print, and which direction should I go if I'm still seeing a slight amount of oozing?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ephori posted:

Well drat. That makes sense, but sounds like it is likely beyond my level of skill here or what I would get for a couple hours of design time from a freelancer.

There is an Aussie YouTuber called Maker’s Muse, he has a thing for puzzles and weird mechanisms. He might be worth contacting to see if that’s the sort of thing he might be able to some design tweaking on?

He has a website and there are contact details for design work on there, IIRC.

EDIT: nope, just checked his website and he doesn’t do consulting work at this time. Sorry!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It was bilinear. Thanks guys!

All my Creality machines are running, and 5/6 MakerGears are. Feels good man :)

Oh and Intamsys finally replaced my glass bed. They tried to go the "glass isn't warrantied because it breaks in normal usage" route.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hello there!

Snackmar posted:

Is the washed one feeling a bit tack-y at all? I've found that dishsoap can help, and a combo of that and some clearcoat can get you nice and shiny again. I've also done the whole progressively finer sanding and a buffing wheel option but god it takes forever
Just to be clear, I washed it with 99% IPA first. Although the fine texture gives some resistance when sliding a finger across, I didn't think it was really tacky. But after giving it a wash with dishsoap seems like maybe it's a bit less tacky... hard to say :)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey where is this thread bailing out to

Edit oh hey breadnroses has an active 3d printer thread and maker forum

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 25, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It is here

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Does it come with mini Haribo??

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

it's so cute

I'm honestly kinda bummed I don't ever need another Bowden machine, seems like it'd be a slam dunk otherwise

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's so drat quiet, holy poo poo.

Yeah it came with a mini bag of haribo but I'm an infidel that isn't interested in them.

EDIT: I made a build area-filling skull print with Prusa Slicer and will let that run over the weekend on my desk at work (really it'll be done sometime tomorrow and the machine will go into it's sleep/idle state, apparently, if the screen that it showed when it was done with the sample print is any indicator).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That control panel looks pretty slick.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I need to setup an easy to move enclosure for prints for my mp10 - is there a recommended enclosure that’ll hold a 300x300x400mm printer?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I have been using a grow tent and am surprised that it's not more common. Insulated, mostly airtight, and has ports for installing ventilation if need be. Super easy to love around or collapse and fold up for easy storage.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
F in chat, boys.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
F

Wow.. hopefully it tore loose from the bed instead of trying to rip the mount off?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mikey Purp posted:

I have been using a grow tent and am surprised that it's not more common. Insulated, mostly airtight, and has ports for installing ventilation if need be. Super easy to love around or collapse and fold up for easy storage.

Yeah, since like you said they are not expensive. Kind of inconveniently sized but w/e. Not a bad idea for an enclosure at all.

^^^^ I couldn't even figure out what I was looking at, is that the hot end?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

insta posted:

F in chat, boys.

I don't want to alarm you but I'd get rid of that thing before it hatches.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Holy gently caress.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ho hoooo that one's a doozy.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
What...is going on there?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Print detached from the bed and entombed the hotend in like 300g of PETG.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

insta posted:

Print detached from the bed and entombed the hotend in like 300g of PETG.

F

I was really hoping that wasn't the case and that you just were doing something fun and silly and it turned out bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
you can tell this has happened before by the fact that there are connectors on the heater and sensor cables

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you can tell this has happened before by the fact that there are connectors on the heater and sensor cables

Haha, yeah, sorta. That's just stock MakerGear though. They have a really nicely thought-out extruder/hotend setup. Makes swapping hotends super easy.

That said, since I do print as a side business, hotends on all my machines are definitely designed to swap quickly. I also keep plenty of spares of all of them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeh, what's wrong with connectors? Makes it easier for maintenance and rebuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do you guys have any tips for injecting something into the hollow prints to give them some weight? Other than like concrete :v:

Resin would work of course but would defeat the purpose of printing hollow, but it'd need to be something similarly fluid that could be injected through a small hole, and would then set/cure without blowing up the print.