Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

MickRaider posted:

No get the printrbot simple metal

Wouldn't the Prusa i3v be a better choice? Gigantic build envelope for a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Has the new 12" Prusa i3v from Makerfarm been around long enough for anybody to comment on the frame being overly flexy? I'm tempted by the extra build volume, even though it would be my first printer. I was pretty sold on the 10" until I saw this new larger size.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

e: nevermind

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask this, but where I can I sell my prusa i3v? I bought it around a year ago and I have literally only completed a single print. I just got super tired of loving around with it. All the parts are in almost unused condition.

The Makerfarm version? What size is it? I'd be pretty tempted, to be honest.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Is it worth getting something like the Maker Ultimate from Monoprice when something like the original Prusa i3 MK3 is $50 more? It seems like you get significantly more printer for the money with the Monoprice, but this would be my first printer so I really have no idea whats going on.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

How did you make the trays work? Cut out the bottoms or do they come off and leave you with a ring? If I was seeing them correctly on Amazon, it looked like they were shallow grid bottom trays and then a lid on top instead of any kind of deep lid/collar.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

So, I got an Ender 3 a couple days ago and everything has been near-flawless so far. The only issue that's been coming up occasionally to varying degrees is weird layers at the start of a gap/hole/feature. On a couple prints it came up as 2-3 layers of banding, and on another it turned into lack of adhesion or under-extrusion (I think). The second would have still been a functional part if I had more infill/solid on such a thin wall, at least.

Good example of the weird banding only at the start and end of the holes. Tiny bit of under-extrusion on one, I think?

This one has the lack of adhesion/under-extrusion all the way around the part at the slot ending layer, and has the more usual banding down on the other side of the slot which is hard to see because lovely picture.

Using Cura, Hatchbox PLA at 205/60, .15 layer, usually 55mm/s print speed although I've been playing with print speed a bit here and there depending on the part.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

How fast do nozzles wear? I've still got the first .4 nozzle on my Ender 3. About halfway through a 1kg roll of PLA without doing any swaps.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've been growing suspicious of my steps/mm calibration being bad and wrong, so out of curiosity I scaled a 20mm calibration cube to 60mm and printed it at stock steps/mm and it came out essentially perfect. I think the inaccuracy I had at a normal 20mm cube was entirely extrusion based.

Why is a 20mm cube and wild adjustments on steps/mm such common advice?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Wozbo posted:

Should I be in the house while printing ala don’t dry clothes and leave the house?
Should I be getting something enclosed or making a home rolled one ASAP?
Are the fumes from the various filaments deadly to pets and need to be mitigated no matter what?
What’s the deal with RepRap? Can I buy a cheap printer and then build a better one vs paying for QC from a vendor?
What’s the deal with bed leveling? Do I have to do it for every print? Do I need certain bed types for certain materials?

I keep on looking around and I thought about the ender 3 or

I've had an ender 3 for about 4 months, running mostly daily and with 30+ overnight and while away at work prints (8 to 20 hours). No problems at all. I generally stick around to check up on it after the first couple layers, and then I leave or go to bed/etc. I was slightly uneasy about it at first, but it doesn't bother me at all now. I check the bed after every couple prints, and it's not hard at all, and really not a hassle despite what the internet says.

That said, I'm in generally the same position you're in, and now that I know 3d printing is cool and good I'm constantly tempted to get a Prusa, but at the same time, and with only a little extra work on my part, the Ender 3 is doing really goddamned good and I haven't talked myself into spending $800.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Atomic PETG is great, highly recommended. I haven't tried their PLA yet, because it's so much easier to print and Hatchbox has been plenty good enough so far.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That was the trick for me. PETG seems to adhere to itself so well that more room on the first layer and barely tickling the edge of underextrusion made for way better results. I spent forever trying to fix it with retraction with zero repeatable success.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

So I've done plenty of pla and petg, but I'm working on a very very big edge belt sander that runs 107x8" belts and need giant crowned wheels. If I had a large enough lathe, I'd make them out of aluminum, but it occurs to me I can maybe print them out of PETG or ABS (which I've never used before), but also the possibility of sending in files to be printed is a thing. What's the strongest possible filament choice if I'm outsourcing? SLS glass reinforced nylon?

8" tall, 6" dia crowned cylinder. Needs to be safe spinning at 1725rpm, hold a 5/8 steel shaft with a full length keyway and take a relatively high static load.

That seems within the capability of PETG, bit that's also a lot of printing and probably potential print failure when I could just outsource it instead.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 17, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Spent $20 and got the Creality textured glass bed for my Ender and good lord why did I spend so much time with my warped bed and the fake buildtak. It's flat, PLA sticks awesome and then releases easily after it cools.
I'm a little afraid to try PETG but we'll see..

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Related question, is the clear/natural filament (specifically PLA) easy to print, as it should be the opposite of something like white, which is full of pigment?

I sort of like that generic semi-opaque natural PLA look but I've never bought a roll.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Put a 3 point leveling Y carriage on my Ender 3 and now I have zero urge to dick with mesh leveling or anything of the sort. It is so damned easy to level.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You make two screws level, then adjust over the 3rd and it's perfect. The stock leveling isn't difficult, but it's more iterative because raising or lowering one corner has an effect on the opposite corner. 3 point doesn't.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Gulf coast. Showed up quick, nice easy install. Their instructions are a little outdated but it's not a big deal.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

First thing to check is to pop off the nozzle and bowden and see if it's clogging.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

An Ender 3 is under $200. If you're feeling feisty, a coated glass bed is another $20, a handful of inexpensive replacement nozzles is another $5 and you're still barely over $200.
Beyond that, support will replace parts for you, and you'll need to spend a little time printing filament guides and other fun stuff which is a great time to get the bugs worked out and learn how the printer goes together.

The prusa is great and everything, but an ender 3 is $200.

e: fwiw I'll probably buy a prusa eventually because it seems like the move to make for a second printer and having a printer with a lower tinkering level sounds nice, but I'm glad I didn't get one at first. I've put over 15kg of filament through my Ender and I have about $300 in it for the printer itself and upgrades/parts.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 17, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The flashing ? is a thing in newer ender 3 firmware, which is why you're not seeing it in tutorials.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It does look high. Also print speed should be fairly slow on the first layer. The fake buildtak stuff adheres great when it's new, so it's unlikely it's the surface.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

AgentCow007 posted:

How hot can I run my Ender 3 Pro bed without it demagnetizing? I'm getting a roll of PETG today to make some stuff for in my car, and the Amazon reviews for it say to use 75C.

75 is totally fine. Supposedly above 85 is where things demagnetize, but there are also lots of evidence of them being fine at 100c.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

PETG definitely handles car-heat. I've got a tray/organizer sitting on the dashboard of my truck at work and it's survived the ridiculous summer we're having in Ohio without a problem.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It smells a *shitload* less. I think I did one print with regular ABS before deciding it was a pain in the rear end, but i'm two spools deep of ABS+ and it's way better. Still sort of wary of using it without an enclosure because degree of smell ≠ degree of danger but still.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Many people who have constant leveling problems just don't have enough spring tension, and either need to lower the endstop or get beefier springs.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

TBH that sounds like a combination of the usual variability with printing (and filament quality) along with PETG doing PETG things.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The Autodesk tutorials aren't for people starting from zero, other than one hour long intro video that's slightly outdated.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I'm usually too lazy to actually have different profiles set up for different materials in Cura, and I just swapped the printer from PETG to PLA. Halfway through a print with PLA and realized it's running at 240 degrees because I forgot to change the temperature.

Weirdly, it's printing perfectly.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Last I remember you'll be replacing poo poo on the Ender pretty quickly. If you're lucky, it'll add up close to what the Prusa would have cost to begin with.

Yeah, if you're an anodized aluminum bro that can't keep their hands off unnecessary upgrades. I've printed around 25kg of filament through my ender 3 and the only things I've done are swap the mainboard for silent drivers, tape on a glass bed and install a Y-carriage. I don't think there's anything else necessary beyond that.

I have $300 in it total.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

The Ender Pro is on for a good rate, however reviews suggest that the X is superior. What would be the best investment between the two?

With current sales landing the X at like $180, it's the best price/performance. Already has the glass bed, which is $20
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/collections/ender-series/products/official-creality-ender-3x-3d-printer?sca_ref=10788.CFDqhuwn3C

e: to be clear, the 3X is just a 3 with a glass bed thrown in. The Pro is a 3 with a larger extrusion for the Y axis and a different power supply.

With everything on sale, it wouldn't be a bad move to get a Pro and pick up the $20 glass bed, but if you want to save a little money, get the 3X.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 30, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Speaking of printers as a hobby and the Ender 3/Prusa argument we're all so fond of, I just ordered the SecKit SK-Go. Buying a second batch printer from a single dude in Taiwan that's running a printer company seems insane, but I did it anyways.

The dude is astonishingly transparent on Facebook, and beyond exactly the kinds of teething problems you would expect from a one man show printer, it's really impressive. I've been tempted to get a Prusa and replace my Ender 3, but I have largely perfect results with it and spending just under $800 for the same general platform and size is insane. If my Ender was a shitshow I'm sure I'd feel different, though.

12" volume, full extrusion frame, linear rail, CoreXY, direct drive, and 32 bit. Long and ridiculous build and setup but that's unbeatable for $780 shipped.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

stevewm posted:

I didn't design it, just printed it..

I purposely printed the bottom with 6 layers to make it kinda bottom heavy. Doesn't fall over or anything.

It was a butt plug joke.

:v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

insta posted:

I bought three and they all do it.

I'd just start changing various things. Different cable, port and maybe live disc Linux on a different machine?

It's either that or they had a bad run of boards.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Tremors posted:

Just dropped an skr mini e3 into my printer and and thought I messed up the install when I first turned it on. These 2209 drivers are witchcraft. Now I need to replace the hot end and mainboard fans because it's a lot more apparent how loud they are now.

It's wild. I used to start prints and turn around to double check that the purge and skirt were going down well once I heard the steppers moving, but with the silent drivers I end up forgetting and turn around to a print that's already half an inch tall.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Still looking at printers for when I get done with my crazy work schedule this winter and have some free time in the spring, is there anything to be found at a higher price point than the Prusas that benefits the hobbyist? Like going from a ~$1k max budget to $2k?

8 bit cartesian moving Y axis (like a Prusa) is limited, but probably not an issue for most people. Core XY would be the next step, the advantage being faster speeds, larger print volumes, tooling plate beds, etc. There are certainly significant diminishing returns though.

If you're considering a big budget but it's a first printer, a Prusa would still be the way to go imo.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ender 3 pro with magnetic bed:
1: Would damped stepper motor mounts make a noticeable difference to noise?

2: Would stiffer bed springs mean I have to level the bed less often?

3: Would modifying the bed to have 3 points of adjustment rather than 4 be a good idea or not?

1. Slightly, but an aftermarket board with better drivers is far far better. The Creality board is easy to install, but maybe a little expensive for what it is. This is a great option that's also essentially plug and play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHhzOIlHPg

2. Probably, yeah. I use those same yellow die springs linked above.

3. I am a giant fan of 3 point y axis. I put the Gulfcoast Robotics y carriage on my printer and it's great. Paired that with a creality coated glass bed and I love it. I set up some gcode to help with bed leveling here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4032736

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 20, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I heard through the grapevines that Sanladerer was being a dick towards the MPCNC guy for whatever reason, which I forgot, and that tainted his remaining MPCNC video(s?) accordingly.

Yeah. It was sort of a poo poo headed faction war between MPCNC people and Sanladerer fans. They were both fairly wrong about it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Have I mentioned recently how nice 3D Solutech natural PLA is? It's normally $18 for 1kg on Amazon, but it was down to $14 a few weeks ago and I bought 4 more rolls. I'm slamming out parts with a .6 nozzle/.48 layers/.675 line width and it's just the most agreeable filament I've ever used. Looks really cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

To be fair, your last sentence there is probably telling. First version of a new Prusa printer vs the ~4th version of their original printer. The advantage is they'll probably make it right eventually.