Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

For a a few years I have wanted to get into 3D printing but never actually did it. Recently I have been doing more art projects so I figured it might be a good time to jump in. I have some experience with 3D software and modelling (Maya, Max) so on that front I think I'd be covered, right?

Since the OP no longer has any recent information I'm just going to post a bunch of questions:
1) Is this a good time to start? Has the tech improved and/or the price gone down over the last couple of years?
2) Is there a good and recent starter guide you can point me towards?
3) What are the best newbie-friendly printer models?
4) For my first project I want to make gears, about 10cm (4in) in diameter. They wouldn't be for heavy use, but they would still be moving gears so I'm wondering if they'd be durable enough. I believe some of that would come from the design itself, specifically the width of the teeth, but also from the material. Do you think this would work?

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Check out Maker’s Muse on YouTube, he made some gears for a combat robot which had to deal with pretty large forces and worked fairly well from what I remember. There are variables here like material used which will greatly affect the end result but th a short answer to your question is yes that should be quite doable.

Cool, will do.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One Legged Ninja posted:

I'm mostly just bumping this, but 1) and 4) are yes. There is a practical limit to how small your gear teeth are on a filament machine, though, so keep that in mind

Yeah, big teeth would look better for what I have in mind anyway. I already ordered some actual gears just to start testing my idea, if it works I'll go ahead with the printer.

I've been looking at the ender 3 which seems good enough for the price and easy enough to assemble.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I finally bought an Ender 3 Pro as my first 3D printer :woop:. Hopefully it will be coming in before the weekend so I have time to start tinkering.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just assembled my Ender 3 and tried to do the test dog. I think it had a bit of plastic wrapper or something stuck in there that I didn't notice because the print started pooling on one spot and got stuck to the nozzle.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My first successful print. It came out a bit lopsided but it should still work for what I want.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Xpost from the art thread, but this is what I wanted my 3D printer for:
https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1237011664798547968?s=19

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What's the best way to prepare a PLA print for painting with acrylics? sanding? The grooves on the lines make it hard to paint.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is the nozzle too close to the bed? Or does it look fine?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh crap, I think it may be upside down. I'll check once the print is done.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been having lots of problems with adhesion so I probably slapped the bed upside down since I assembled the printer.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Turns out I have indeed been printing with the bed upside down. No wonder I was having so much trouble. :ughh:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been printing with Hatchbox white PLA with no issues, although I haven't tried any other colors or brands yet to compare.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been printing for long periods of time and now I can't stop hearing the buzzing and whirring of the printer even when I'm doing something else :shepface:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty much.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a way to prevent this? Or is it just a bad filament?

The filament is basically wound over itself.
I already installed a filament extender at the top and a filament guide but it still jams every once in a while.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the replies. So just to make sure, should the filament go through one of the spool holes while printing? Or only while it's in storage? Because the filament has basically been attached to the printer at all times since I'm only printing one color/material.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No, it should be free to unspool when you're printing. just anytime the working end is not in the printer, it should be in your hand or captured somewhere so that it can't spring back and coil under itself.

If you're suggesting that the filament has been in the printer the whole time and this tangle was already there: it wasn't. the machines that spool the filament literally cannot coil it that way. At some point you let the free end get loose and loop under itself. It could even have happened when you first opened the filament to load it, and it just was loose enough that it didn't tie itself up until now.

Yeah, that probably happened when I first put it in. I'll be more careful next time.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Why does this wall and fill separation happen? Bed leveling?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

That would be my guess. The separating side is too low so the filament isn't getting squished and spread like it should be.

Still having the issue after leveling the bed. Could it be the nozzle? Or I don't know what else.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The belt is very slightly loose, I'll try tightening it up and see if that helps. Thanks.

Edit: Yep, that was it. I'm getting excellent results now.

Edit 2:

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I had been making big gears before and while they looked a bit wonky they worked well enough, so I had just chalked it up to my ender 3 not being quite as good as more expensive printers. Good to know it is now printing much better though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Printed this no-assembly spring box just for shits and giggles and it actually works. Not that great but way better than I expected.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

porktree posted:

I just put a glass bed and new springs on my Ender 3. Worked great on a half dozen bed filling prints (Echo Dot wall hangers). Now I’m having adhesion problems. I am guessing that whatever treatment was on the bed is gone and I need to start using hairspray. Do you folks have a preferred brand? Is there a secret method of application? Or is my theory wrong?

I suspect my Ender3's bed is warped because some prints come out a bit wonky at the base despite constant leveling, do those upgrades help with that?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

This helped me out a few months ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DPrinting/wiki/index

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/fbpnri/purchase_advice_megathread_what_to_buy_who_to_buy/fj5s1qu

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm having the same issue. I added a bit of masking tape on the bed where it was warping and lowered the bed temp to 55 and it seemed to improve my second print but it still had a bit of warping.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can anybody please help me with fusion 360?
I want to delete the marked area on both sides but the circle sketches seem to be elsewhere and I can't attach them to the main thing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'll try those suggestions out and let you know. Thanks.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The projection worked perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

This is what I was making when I asked for fusion help. It's a branded painting hanger for my gear paintings since the old one was really ugly.

Probably still need to sand it.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 15, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have only had the E3 so I can't comment on the others. :shrug:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's also good for stuff like swords or rifles.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My E3 pro has been making a very loud screeching noise. Is there any way to reduce that? Like maybe oil something up.

I'm not even sure what's making the noise. If it helps I can take a video.

Edit: it seems to be when the extruder retracts the filament.
Edit 2: It disappears if I ease up the filamen tension :confused:

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 13, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Printed this vase to try out the copper filament. I like how it came out.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's awesome and it makes me want to get into resin printing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What could be causing this PLA bunching up at the end of the print?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I guess I'll just try to keep an eye on my next print to see when it finishes.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's an ender 3 pro with stock everything.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Never seen anything this extreme, but I've seen globs of filament that came out (during prints) due to leaks in the hot end. In my case, I hadn't hot tightened the nozzle so it was leaking around that. Also, just disassembled my hot end and there was a clump of plastic inside because my PTFE wasn't in all the way.

I disassembled the hot end and the nozzle is so tight I can't even take it off. But there isn't any PLA on it. I'm going to do a test run to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just spent like an hour trying to figure out why my printer wasn't extruding. I removed and replaced the filament, changed the nozzle and still nothing...
Turns out the extruder cable had somehow gotten unplugged.